• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

"David Bowie" special eye lenses (will your eyes tell the difference?) (1 Viewer)

I read it have a yellow view. Why?
Maybe the coating from that time (also Zeiss in the 70s and 80s had a slight yellow tinge) and maybe that was intended because the yellow enhances the contrast illusion a bit. I put an image with the IOR 7x40 exit pupil compared to the my Nikon HGL 8x32 exit pupil
redare alb.jpg
HG L 8x32 vs IOR 7x40.jpg

Last edited:
For the same reason we split hairs over IQ on this forum... because it disturbs my OCD desire for perfection.
But it does have a reasonable scientific grounding ...

(Monkeys, humans, whoever strongly prefer symmetry as related to mate selection* etc ... you'll be forever doubting that they are not broken and causing yourself anxiety ...)

*(Not sure if this applies to bins?!)

But it does have a reasonable scientific grounding ...

(Monkeys, humans, whoever strongly prefer symmetry as related to mate selection* etc ... you'll be forever doubting that they are not broken and causing yourself anxiety ...)

*(Not sure if this applies to bins?!)

Can you briefly explain symmetry in mate selection?

Can you briefly explain symmetry in mate selection?
I recall that people, when given a selection of photos of random strangers of the opposite sex prefer/express a sexual preference for people with more symmetrical faces in some study. The process is somewhat subconscious iirc.

I think it indicates fitness, eg in humans the more symmetrical (perfect) a human face the less likely to be afflicted with boils, parasites or other indicators of less fitness (and thus passing on of strong genes when selected for mating), and gene expression of both sides of the face with good symmetry roughly equalling beauty and perhaps a lack of inbreeding* etc

Or something like that.

Googling "symmetry in mate selection" comes up with various eg for moths -

Sexual selection in a moth: effect of symmetry on male mating success in the wild

Without exploring further, presume the same goes for birds etc with long tail feathers or other features. As humans we love symmetry. Presumably the aesthetics can be assigned thus in a cold scientific world ... and perhaps some reasoning behind certain ocd behaviours (order etc) - there is always a reason, even if it perhaps gets hijacked along the way somewhere.

*(More research needed perhaps, but also a bit dodgy ground)

A car with one front wing panel the wrong colour just looks awful. At least if both panels are the same colour it looks a lot better.

I recall that people, when given a selection of photos of random strangers of the opposite sex prefer/express a sexual preference for people with more symmetrical faces in some study. The process is somewhat subconscious iirc.

I think it indicates fitness, eg in humans the more symmetrical (perfect) a human face the less likely to be afflicted with boils, parasites or other indicators of less fitness (and thus passing on of strong genes when selected for mating), and gene expression of both sides of the face with good symmetry roughly equalling beauty and perhaps a lack of inbreeding* etc

Or something like that.

Googling "symmetry in mate selection" comes up with various eg for moths -

Sexual selection in a moth: effect of symmetry on male mating success in the wild

Without exploring further, presume the same goes for birds etc with long tail feathers or other features. As humans we love symmetry. Presumably the aesthetics can be assigned thus in a cold scientific world ... and perhaps some reasoning behind certain ocd behaviours (order etc) - there is always a reason, even if it perhaps gets hijacked along the way somewhere.

*(More research needed perhaps, but also a bit dodgy ground)

A car with one front wing panel the wrong colour just looks awful. At least if both panels are the same colour it looks a lot better.
"...boils or parasites..." I rest my case. Nuh uh, none for me thanks!

Joking aside, I wonder how much color perception varies between eyes in normal human vision. Color-blindness is at the cortex level so rarely affects only one eye, IIRC.

Joking aside, I wonder how much color perception varies between eyes in normal human vision
My left eye has a bit of yellow cast compared to the right, whereas Patudo just noted more of a red-green difference, which even sounds like a different mechanism. It would be interesting to investigate how large a disparity is typical, and what the extremes are.

Why does LED lighting have peculiar spectrums.
My town is now experimenting with colors of LED street lights and soliciting comments. I doubt there will be much agreement. I like 3000K myself.

I'm fairly sure that most of the facial asymmetry I see (look especially around the eyes) is due to compression in the individual birth process, and perhaps dwindling today due to preference for C-sections over forceps. And it isn't always detrimental. Perfectly symmetrical faces generated on a computer look unreal or uninteresting. "Beauty" seems largely to involve certain shapes of features vs others, for some reason... barring boils and parasites of course.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back