• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

I need your eyes and experience (1 Viewer)

lamping

Spain
Hola, he estado usando los antiguos prismáticos vortex viper 10x42 para mi trabajo en un parque natural, desde observación de flora y fauna hasta control de personas, accidentes,incendios...
Ya estan muy deteriorados por el uso de muchas personas,en malas condiciones,y el poco cuidado; han sido y son unos binoculares muy resistentes.
Como no tengo posibilidad de probar binoculares pido vuestra colaboración, ojos y experiencia,para encontrar unos 10x42 en la gama media de los que no me arrepienta y estos si, solo par mi uso personal, que me considero cuidadoso.
Habia pensado en algo así como Gpo passion ED, Monarch M7, Kite petrel ii o por un poco más llegar al modelo nuevo de Vortex Viper HD. No puedo llegar a los top.
¿Cual de estos elegirian? Quien los ha probado?
Acepto mas modelos y todo tipo de comentarios.Gracias

Translation from Google Translate:
Hello, I have been using the old Vortex Viper 10x42 binoculars for my work in a natural park, from flora and fauna observation to people control, accidents, fires...
They are already very deteriorated due to the use of many people, in poor conditions, and little care; They have been and are very resistant binoculars.
As I do not have the possibility of trying binoculars, I ask for your collaboration, eyes and experience, to find some 10x42 in the mid-range that I will not regret and these I do, only for my personal use, which I consider myself careful
I had thought about something like Gpo passion ED, Monarch M7, Kite petrel ii or a little more to get to the new Vortex Viper HD model. I can't reach the top.
Which of these would you choose? Who has tried them?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hola lamping, la primera idioma aqui es ingles por que no mucho personas habla Espanol. No puedo respuesta tus preguntas pero bienvenido al sitio web. Lo siento para mi Espanol!

Hello, I have been using the old vortex viper 10x42 binoculars for my work in a natural park, wildlife observation,people control, accidents, fires... They are already very deteriorated
for the use of many people, in poor condition. , and little care; They have been and are very resistant binoculars.
Since I don't have the chance to try binoculars thanks to your collaboration, eyes and experience, to find some 10x42 in the mid-range that I don't regret and these do, only for my personal use, which I consider myself careful.
I had thought of something like Gpo passion ED, Monarch M7, Kite petrel ii or for a little more to reach the new model of Vortex Viper HD. I can't get to the top.
Which of these would you choose? Who has tried them?
I accept more models and all kinds of comments. Thank you
(Traducido google traslate)

Hi lamping and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators. I have moved your post to the Binocular forums where you will be more likely to get the information you require.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I look forward to hearing your news.

Please note that all messages on this site should be in English.

From Google Translate: From Google Translate: Tenga en cuenta que todos los mensajes de este sitio deben estar en inglés.

Hi lamping and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators. I have moved your post to the Binocular forums where you will be more likely to get the information you require.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I look forward to hearing your news.

Please note that all messages on this site should be in English.
understood,thanks

Bienvenido :)
I don't know what's the condition of your current 10x42 Vortex Viper, but one amazing thing about Vortex is that they usually honor their VIP warranty. You can check to see if your model has the VIP warranty and if there's anything that has "gone wrong" with them (like the rubber peeling off too soon) maybe you can contact them. The Spanish representative for Vortex is Oryx (in Barcelona), but I have had better experiences (faster and more direct) simply writing to Vortex directly, then they get in touch with Oryx and deal with the issue. If there's anything wrong with the old Vipers to they point that they can't be used, maybe contacting Vortex is worth a try. As for the choice, there is a great choice around the 500 € mark (I understand that's more or less what you are looking for). However, if I was to spend that money, I'd surely look in the second hand market. 500 € can get you a lot of glass, especially they can give you access to binoculars from a higher level of the previous generation. For example, for 500 € I've bought things like Zeiss Conquest HD or Meopta Meostar B1. Yes, you need a bit of patience, but it can be a good alternative if you are not in a hurry, and the warranty you can get with those models can also be worth it (some manufacturers offer/offered 30 years or even lifetime warranty).

Anyway, if you are happy with the Vortex Viper, I'd say the new Viper HD are a safe bet, especially considering that they are indeed covered with their lifetime VIP warranty. I have bought the current Vortex Viper HD for less than 500 € second hand. Funny enough, they were out of collimation. I wrote to Vortex and they sent me a brand new pair... so (it took a bit of time) I enjoyed a brand new pair for the price of a used pair.

There is a pair at the moment for sale in Wallapop going for a hair under 500 €, and you can probably bargain a bit (I have no affiliation whatsoever to the seller, nor do I know the condition). Anyway, I think you can find the Viper HD 10x42 for around 500 or less with a bit of patience and luck.

Last edited:
I haven't used every binocular out there, but if I was in your position I think I would look to the secondhand market for binoculars with a reputation for toughness: Leica BA/BN, Zeiss Conquest, Meopta Meostar, Swarovski SLC, maybe Zeiss Dialyt 10x40 T*P and so on. They may not look pretty (at least I wouldn't expect them to look like new if they were being sold for €500) but will give you decades of service.

For really hard use it might have to be a military binocular. Other people here know more about them than me, and will chime in, I'm sure...

Last edited:
Thank you guys for your responses.
I find it very curious that several of you recommend that in the €500 range it is better to look for a second-hand binocular rather than a new mid-range one. Why?

I find it very curious that several of you recommend that in the €500 range it is better to look for a second-hand binocular rather than a new mid-range one. Why?
Well, it probably has to do with 2 things.

First, simply because brand new binoculars at any price have a level of quality and a more limited "life expectancy" when used intensively. It's like a quality/durability ladder.

So binoculars in the 500 € price range have already a quite amazing level of performance and also are usually more rugged than binoculars in the 250-300 € range. But then, those if those 500 € are used to look for something used instead of going for something new, you gain access to binoculars that were in the 800 - 1000 € range when new, and then there is an improvement both in optical quality and I'd say especially in ruggedness. Things like a Conquest HD or a Meostar B1 are renowned not only for being amazing binoculars in terms of value (optical quality for the price) but also have a proven record of being rugged and dependable and, to make things better, are backed by companies with good warranties and the ability to repair your binocular should something go wrong with them. With binoculars in the 250 € range, even in the 500 € range in some cases, binoculars are not designed to be easily repaired (or the companies don't have the facilities, personnel and expertise to do so), sometimes they're simply replaced if you are lucky or the company has a good warranty scheme. So, a 5 year old Conquest HD will probably give you as many years of service (probably even more) than most of the things you can buy for 500 €.

But then again, I don't know if looking for a 2nd hand device it's a "better" option, it's simply an option, a good option for that matter, something many here have done and enjoyed, so you have the voice of experience talking in some cases. Some don't like 2nd hand, some others do. Since your original post was about buying binoculars to replace the one you have, many of us pointed out that you could consider 2nd hand, especially for the price. For a similar price, I'd rather have a 2nd hand Conquest HD than a brand new Nikon M7 or Kite Petrel by far.

Yes, there is an inherent risk in buying 2nd hand, but then if you buy something covered by the warranty of a good brand, then you are mostly covered. It obviously takes more time and effort (and a bit of luck) than simply going to a shop and picking a good device.

(And then we haven't even touched on things like resale value, should you decide you want something else because your needs or taste has changed).

Bueno, probablemente tenga que ver con 2 cosas.

En primer lugar, simplemente porque los prismáticos nuevos a cualquier precio tienen un nivel de calidad y una "esperanza de vida" más limitada cuando se utilizan de forma intensiva. Es como una escalera de calidad/durabilidad.

Por lo tanto, los binoculares en el rango de precios de 500 € ya tienen un nivel de rendimiento bastante sorprendente y, además, suelen ser más resistentes que los binoculares en el rango de 250-300 €. Pero luego, si esos 500 € los usas para buscar algo usado en lugar de ir a buscar algo nuevo, accedes a unos prismáticos que estaban en el rango de 800 - 1000 € cuando eran nuevos, y entonces hay una mejora tanto en la calidad óptica como en la calidad. Yo diría especialmente en robustez. Cosas como un Conquest HD o un Meostar B1 son reconocidos no solo por ser binoculares increíbles en términos de valor (calidad óptica por el precio), sino que también tienen un historial comprobado de ser resistentes y confiables y, para mejorar las cosas, están respaldados por empresas. con buenas garantías y la capacidad de reparar sus binoculares en caso de que algo salga mal. Con binoculares en el rango de 250 €, Incluso en el rango de los 500 €, en algunos casos los binoculares no están diseñados para ser reparados fácilmente (o las empresas no tienen las instalaciones, el personal y la experiencia para hacerlo), a veces simplemente se reemplazan si tienes suerte o la empresa Tiene un buen esquema de garantía. Por lo tanto, un Conquest HD de 5 años probablemente te brindará tantos años de servicio (probablemente incluso más) que la mayoría de las cosas que puedes comprar por 500 €.

Pero claro, no sé si buscar un dispositivo de segunda mano es una "mejor" opción, es simplemente una opción, una buena opción de hecho, algo que muchos aquí han hecho y disfrutado, así que tú tienes la voz de la experiencia. hablando en algunos casos. A algunos no les gustan los de segunda mano, a otros sí. Dado que tu publicación original trataba sobre la compra de binoculares para reemplazar los que tienes, muchos de nosotros señalamos que podrías considerarlos de segunda mano, especialmente por el precio. Por un precio similar, prefiero tener una Conquest HD de segunda mano que una Nikon M7 o Kite Petrel nuevas.

Sí, existe un riesgo inherente al comprar de segunda mano, pero si compras algo cubierto por la garantía de una buena marca, entonces estás cubierto en su mayor parte. Obviamente requiere más tiempo y esfuerzo (y un poco de suerte) que simplemente ir a una tienda y elegir un buen dispositivo.

(Y luego ni siquiera hemos tocado cosas como el valor de reventa, en caso de que decidas que quieres algo más porque tus necesidades o gustos han cambiado).
(For translation see Yarrelli's post above (Delia Todd))

Sólo puedo decir que gracias por tus comentarios. Me has dado un punto de vista diferente que me hace pensar. También es una tarea difícil encontrar algo interesante en ese mercado.

From Google Translate: I can only say thank you for your comments. You've given me a different point of view that makes me think. It's also a difficult task to find something interesting in that market.

Last edited by a moderator:
Althought there's some risk, I do think it's worth shopping 'used'. Bino depreciation is often huge. E.g. there's an 8x42SF for sale on this forum for $1600. Those are $2999.99US new right now. I'm not saying they are flawless (I'm not the seller!) but at nearly 50% price reduction they are certainly an example of how deeply discounted used binos can go. A used Leica Trinovid HD or better yet UVHD would get you superb optics and best-in-the-business build quality.
If new, for $1000 I'd look hard at Nikon HG's and stepping up from there I'd look at SFL series.

Because you get a better instrument for the same money.

It's not a way to save money, you still have to spend your budgeted amount, but you get more binocular.

My dos centavos:
If I were in your shoes and have been enjoying your old Vortex Vipers, I'd give strong consideration to replacing them with a new Vortex Viper HD. They're good binoculars.
~ Foss

Users who are viewing this thread

Back