• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

DDOptics binoculars for birdwatching (1 Viewer)

Viraj

Germany
I wanted to create this thread as I couldn't find any other discussions about DDOptics binoculars, and I think they deserve some attention.

DDOptics offers a diverse range of binoculars, with a primary focus on hunting. Recently, I came across their two binocular series, namely Pirschler and Nighteagle ergo dx, specifically designed for low-light hunting. What caught my eye is that they seem to be just as intriguing for birding in low-light conditions.

Their specifications look fantastic, especially considering the price, particularly the Pirschler series with AK prisms. But here's the challenge: I couldn't find sufficient information or reviews on the internet. And that's where all of you come in!

I believe that our community can be a valuable resource for each other. So, I warmly invite you to share your experiences with DDOptics models, especially for birdwatching purposes. If you've used these binoculars or know someone who has, please do share your thoughts, insights, and any tips you might have.

This thread could be a great place for comparisons with other models, allowing us to make informed choices. And, of course, I'd love to see some stunning photos of DDOptics binoculars from your own collections!

Let's come together and make this a hub of valuable information and delightful experiences. Looking forward to your contributions!

Happy birdwatching!

I wanted to create this thread as I couldn't find any other discussions about DDOptics binoculars, and I think they deserve some attention.

DDOptics offers a diverse range of binoculars, with a primary focus on hunting. Recently, I came across their two binocular series, namely Pirschler and Nighteagle ergo dx, specifically designed for low-light hunting. What caught my eye is that they seem to be just as intriguing for birding in low-light conditions.

Their specifications look fantastic, especially considering the price, particularly the Pirschler series with AK prisms. But here's the challenge: I couldn't find sufficient information or reviews on the internet. And that's where all of you come in!

I believe that our community can be a valuable resource for each other. So, I warmly invite you to share your experiences with DDOptics models, especially for birdwatching purposes. If you've used these binoculars or know someone who has, please do share your thoughts, insights, and any tips you might have.

This thread could be a great place for comparisons with other models, allowing us to make informed choices. And, of course, I'd love to see some stunning photos of DDOptics binoculars from your own collections!

Let's come together and make this a hub of valuable information and delightful experiences. Looking forward to your contributions!

Happy birdwatching!
Do you have experience with this brand?

I have no experience with it. I just read about DDoptics Pirschler 8×56 Gen. III Mg – Binoculars Today
The DDOptics web site publishes the transmission graphs and this is not the standard. The graphs show these binoculars offer an advantage during the low light.
How about the micro-contrast? I tested a model from another brand, made for hunters, and it had better micro-contrast in extremely low light than a Nikon HG. Less transmission, but superior micro-contrast. Also, more CA than the HG, especially when the sky is in the background. But the game is never in this situation, right?

From experience, who can say if the CA important in very low light?
It seems to me the hunter blogs do not give the same importance to CA as BF does.

Do you have experience with this brand?

I have no experience with it. I just read about DDoptics Pirschler 8×56 Gen. III Mg – Binoculars Today
The DDOptics web site publishes the transmission graphs and this is not the standard. The graphs show these binoculars offer an advantage during the low light.
How about the micro-contrast? I tested a model from another brand, made for hunters, and it had better micro-contrast in extremely low light than a Nikon HG. Less transmission, but superior micro-contrast. Also, more CA than the HG, especially when the sky is in the background. But the game is never in this situation, right?

From experience, who can say if the CA important in very low light?
It seems to me the hunter blogs do not give the same importance to CA as BF does.
I don't have any experience with the DDOptics brand. That is the reason to start this thread to get insights into DDoptics binoculars and to share user experiences if anyone uses them. Maybe this brand is only used by German hunters. However, I found one BF member who has high satisfaction with a few of these binoculars.

I was on a journey to find a good 10x power binocular to complement my 8x power binocular. I purchased a Habicht GA 10x40 a year ago but it was showing some reflections when using it under the dark forest canopy. So, I thought DDOptics Pirschler 10x45 could be a better candidate even with a low price tag. Also, Nighteagle ergo dx 8x56 caught my attention as low-light binoculars. I am waiting to have a good deal to buy one or both of them. However, I thought to get other BF members' opinions meanwhile about this particular brand which seems to be overlooked. I will share my thoughts after purchasing one or both of them.

It is always better to have good CA control. I found my only 10x binoculars, UV HD 10x32 have a bit more CA than my liking. Maybe they are not performing 100% well due to the micro-scratches on the eyepiece lenses. However, I don't expect DDOptics low-light binoculars to have better CA control. It is enough if they have a similar amount of CA to my UV. However, brightness, sharpness, contrast, and handling comfort are important to me.

Fir what it’s worth, I own a total of nine binoculars from DDoptics and have reviewed some of them, see here:
I share the view that they are generally very good value for money (a number of models are „cousins“ of similar models from Kite Optics), and I found customer service exemplary.

Canip
These are very nice mini-reviews and I enjoyed reading them. Did you compare them with other binoculars you have? I am personally interested in buying Pirschler 10x45 however, there are other nice binoculars available at that price class such as Monarch M7 10x42. It has a wider field of view and it is significantly lighter compared to the Pirschler 10x45. However, Pirschler 10x45 comes with AK prisms and a bit bigger objective lenses so theoretically it should be brighter compared to the M7. Or do you think I will get significantly higher quality optics when going to Kahles Helia S 10x42 or Conquest 10x42?

I have currently 5 of their binos. 2 Lux HR in 10x50 and 10x42, 2 Pirschlers in 15x56 and 10x45 and the "Nighteagle Ergo DX" in 10x56.
The Lux HR are the best in supressing CA but are no longer made. The same bino is still available from "Perl/Vixen" in France as "EscapeED".
I love my Pirschler 10x45 but it has some off-axis CA. The focuser is super fast and "snappy". I love it for astronomy. For birding the CA can become a bit of an issue especially when observing high contrast targets, like dark birds against the sky. For that application the Lux HR is better. But for my eyes the CA is not that annoying.
From the sparse info I could find, some models are made by Kamakura, a few of those in China and the very most expensive ones in Japan. The rest of their binos is very likely from another MiC manufacturer.
The "Nighteagle DX" I bought especially for astronomy. They also show quite a bit of off-axis CA but are still very sharp, have great eye-relief and are quite compact. That being said, I only paid a bit over 100€ more for my Fujinon HC 8x42 which is quite a bit better optically than any of the DDoptics binos I have. Especially when it comes to CA.
But the 10x45 Pirschler is still one of my favourites, despite the missing ED-glass and slight CA. It handles very nicely with the open bridge design and I like the focuser as well as the center sharpness.
The Lux HR also have field flatteners BTW. But as mentioned, they are no longer offered by DDoptics.

This is interesting. I was looking for a low light capable binocular with A-K Prisms for a reasonable price. There were only 4 companies with ones around the same price range. $650-$700. All 8x56 with A-K Prisms. DDoptics Pirschler Gen 3, Kite Cervus HD, GPO Optics Passion HD and Vixen New Foresta. I think the Vixen model is no longer made. Here's the kicker. They are all designed to spec by the company they are based with but............made in Japan. Here's the next kicker. They look very very simliar in size and even style. Especially the Pirschler with the New Foresta and the Cervus with the Passion. When you add the clues up it appears that they are all made by the same company in Japan, Kamakura, but they aren't necessarily going to reveal that nugget. Do I get a Scooby Snack for solving this mystery?

Don't get me wrong, the reviews are good and the quality of the image and make of the binoculars appears like very good quality enough that I would be willing to buy one. Kamakura makes A LOT of binoculars for A LOT of companies. I like the specs and style of DDoptics Binos. I like the Green Housing but I think the Brown is too light. I wish the Brown housing was darker Brown like Blaser. Their warranty seems decent too.

This is interesting. I was looking for a low light capable binocular with A-K Prisms for a reasonable price. There were only 4 companies with ones around the same price range. $650-$700. All 8x56 with A-K Prisms. DDoptics Pirschler Gen 3, Kite Cervus HD, GPO Optics Passion HD and Vixen New Foresta. I think the Vixen model is no longer made. Here's the kicker. They are all designed to spec by the company they are based with but............made in Japan. Here's the next kicker. They look very very simliar in size and even style. Especially the Pirschler with the New Foresta and the Cervus with the Passion. When you add the clues up it appears that they are all made by the same company in Japan, Kamakura, but they aren't necessarily going to reveal that nugget. Do I get a Scooby Snack for solving this mystery?

Don't get me wrong, the reviews are good and the quality of the image and make of the binoculars appears like very good quality enough that I would be willing to buy one. Kamakura makes A LOT of binoculars for A LOT of companies. I like the specs and style of DDoptics Binos. I like the Green Housing but I think the Brown is too light. I wish the Brown housing was darker Brown like Blaser. Their warranty seems decent too.
I have a pair of Alpen Teton 8x42 with Ak prisms. I have hunted 2 seasons now with them. They can be found new for around $550. I have tried several more expensive binos since I bought these and have yet to beat them.

Alpen looks like yet another brand that sells Kamakura binos, similar to DDOptics, Kite, GPO and Maven. They also have the stabilized binos that are made by Kamakura.
The interesting thing is the ED-glass which my DDOptics Pirschler doesn't have.
I'm also suspecting they are made in the Chinese Kamakura-factory, not in Japan.

Alpen looks like yet another brand that sells Kamakura binos, similar to DDOptics, Kite, GPO and Maven. They also have the stabilized binos that are made by Kamakura.
The interesting thing is the ED-glass which my DDOptics Pirschler doesn't have.
I'm also suspecting they are made in the Chinese Kamakura-factory, not in Japan.
I can tell you the Alpen Teton Abbe 8x42 is a heck of a buy at $550 I have 0 things i dislike about mine. Was concerned with weight but the 28oz is so well balanced you don't even notice, eye cups are solid, focus wheel perfect, they perform well in all conditions from bright and sunny to cloudy and raining. I have tried a few to displace them. Zeiss Conquest HD, Leupold Santiam, Kowa Genesis, Maven B2, Nikon HG, Zeiss T FL ( I really wanted those to be the ones as i got a great buy on a pair in mint condition but tried both in all conditions and for my use the Alpens edged them out) Meostar, Steiner HX and Steiner Knight hunter. Won't even mention all the sub $500 pairs i have owned. Keep in mind im a hunter and not a birder. I'm on here because their are no legit hunting forums i know of for binoculars. Can't take the ones serious that recommend the Vortex Diamond back, bushnell trophy or monarch 5 as the best hunting bino. Lol

I can tell you the Alpen Teton Abbe 8x42 is a heck of a buy at $550
I never claimed it wasn't. If it is indeed a Kamakura-bino (one of the largest makers on the planet probably) and it is basically a "Pirschler" with added ED-glass -- then it should be fantastic. Because the Pirschler with AK-prisms (I have the 10x45 and 15x56) is already pretty great but it misses the ED-glass and therefore has a bit more false color than I'd like for birding in high-contrast situations (birds against the sky).

Last edited:
I never claimed it wasn't. If it is indeed a Kamakura-bino (one of the largest makers on the planet probably) and it is basically a "Pirschler" with added ED-glass -- then it should be fantastic. Because the Pirschler with AK-prisms (I have the 10x45 and 15x56) is already pretty great but it misses the ED-glass and therefore has a bit more false color than I'd like.
I'm just surprised they have not got much attention at that price point. It's a great buy under $600 I have determined i will have to spend a real chunk of money to really get a jump on them. I usually take at least one pretty good fall each year in the mountains and not sure i want a $3k set hitting the ground. Lol I wish there were more reviews on the DDoptics SHG 8X42 The Zeiss SFL Has my interest but don't like the location of focus wheel. The money i have spent over the past 3 years trying alot of binos i should have just bought a Zeiss SF And been done but then i would just try to find something better. Lol

I'm very familiar with that "problem" ;).
Lol I bought a pair of Kowa BDII 6.5X32 This year for hunting hardwoods. Now i'm addicted to a large field of view. That's a pretty impressive little bino for the price as well. I preferred it over the much more expensive Genesis 8x33 and Zeiss Conquest HD 8X32 After testing all 3 in the field under all conditions. I have learned that spending more does not always lead to a better view or better build. My Wife thinks i need therapy for my binocular addiction and she might be right. Lol

You have got my interest on the Alpen Teton AK 10x42.

I have been looking at the GPO HD, but this could be a rival ...... any detailed reviews and comparisons anywhere? (seems to be little that I can find)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back