• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Derbyshire County Birding (4 Viewers)

incidentally, Richard Taylor has recorded Rewing and Fieldfare past Crich Lane Woods (at head height) this weekend - early records for the County and an indication that Autumn is well under way.

incidentally, Richard Taylor has recorded Rewing and Fieldfare past Crich Lane Woods (at head height) this weekend - early records for the County and an indication that Autumn is well under way.

Yes Daniel, 15 Redwing and 3 Fieldfare on Thursday I believe.

Top day at Carsington, all things considered with the weather.

Scored the John Prescott, 2 Shags (still on the tower), 1 later fishing near the dam wall. Love to see that leap-dive they do. Worth getting soaked for on the walk across the dam, even if no Grey Phal about.

Hobby (2nd new bird of the day for my Carsington list) through late on directly over the WLC, heading south, but no Peregrine today. 3 Common Scoter briefly from Stones Island but they were flushed by sailors and then lost in some properly horrible weather, and I failed to refind.

A couple of Ravens free-wheeled in the skies beyond Shiningford Farm,

Snipe, Redshank, Shovelers, among the oddments.

Hi all,

I don't seem to have posted anything on here for a while I have been snowed under with school work and have had very little time to come on here, mind you I have had very little time to do much else other than work. Finally I had a free day today and managed to get to Old Moor RSPB reserve which was great, yet back to work tomorrow.

This isn't really related to birds.....Lathkill Dale is a SSSI yet I am a little unsure why it is a SSSI is it the Jacobs Ladder that's there or is it the Wagtails, Dippers and Water Voles that make it a SSSI? Your help would be much appreciated.

This isn't really related to birds.....Lathkill Dale is a SSSI yet I am a little unsure why it is a SSSI is it the Jacobs Ladder that's there or is it the Wagtails, Dippers and Water Voles that make it a SSSI? Your help would be much appreciated.

Hope I'm remembering correctly here... I think it's something to do with the river itself, more specifically the exceptional purity of the water. In the Biodiversity Action Plan they're trying to improve it for lamprey or something like that. It's been a while since I read this stuff.

With the amount of Honey Buzzards around today, I had a feeling that Carsi might just get one, and so it did. Couldn't get out anywhere today but I hope someone on here saw it.

Should have posted this yesterday but I had two Whinchats down Wyver lane yesterday. I took a few iffy pictures so I might try and get one on here.

Nice lunch time of BOPs at Hardwick yesterday, 1 Hobby hawked for insects over the gardens, 2 Kestrels and 8 Common Buzzard took to a thermal - try as I might I couldn't honestly turn any into a 'probable' Honey. ;)

Yellow-Browed Warbler at Ambaston, in copse at T-junction opp the "Ambaston" sign SK.428.323. Was found yesterday and reported again today...sadly I cannot get GRRRRRRR!!! LOL

Cheers

Steph'

Juv Arctic Tern at Foremark again yesterday, has been lingering for a few days now, though conditions were as rough as I can remember here, with a real chop on the water. Also 2-3 Yellow Legged Gull and a report of Marsh Harrier yesterday, with a solitary House Martin still clinging on.

Hey no worries.....good report. I am back there at half term with the family - I remember this time last year marching them down Lady Annes drive at Holkham all the way past Meols House for a Yellow Browed. It had showed for days, and even all morning, but when I got there - nowt! However, there were lots there claiming it, and it was usually a Goldcrest or Chiffchaff. People were going home convinced - but it just wasnt there. You get to realise that a lot of pager reports are just wrong - call it over enthusiasm or just poor ID, but wrong all the same.
It was the same this summer with a White Rumped Sand at Cley - it kept getting reported, but I scanned all the waders and it wasnt there. When sat in one hide, the pager would report it showing from another. I cahsed it round and then got fed up - eventually the regulars turned up (Steve Gantlett and crew) and said taht people were confusing a Little Stint - in their opinion it hadnt been around for days! So with that we settled back and studied Stints and Curlew Sands instead - still nice birds.
When I messaged you from Spurn it was mainly common migrants - really enjoyed Redstarts, Pied and Spot Fly, Wood Warbler etc. Not easy local birds this year, so good to see so well. Sounds like you enjoyed them too.
The local patch has been quiet anyway - you havent missed much there! I got grabbed by Joy (she wanted a chat!!) last time I was there! Mink have been about.

Hey no worries.....good report. I am back there at half term with the family - I remember this time last year marching them down Lady Annes drive at Holkham all the way past Meols House for a Yellow Browed. It had showed for days, and even all morning, but when I got there - nowt! However, there were lots there claiming it, and it was usually a Goldcrest or Chiffchaff. People were going home convinced - but it just wasnt there. You get to realise that a lot of pager reports are just wrong - call it over enthusiasm or just poor ID, but wrong all the same.
It was the same this summer with a White Rumped Sand at Cley - it kept getting reported, but I scanned all the waders and it wasnt there. When sat in one hide, the pager would report it showing from another. I cahsed it round and then got fed up - eventually the regulars turned up (Steve Gantlett and crew) and said taht people were confusing a Little Stint - in their opinion it hadnt been around for days! So with that we settled back and studied Stints and Curlew Sands instead - still nice birds.
When I messaged you from Spurn it was mainly common migrants - really enjoyed Redstarts, Pied and Spot Fly, Wood Warbler etc. Not easy local birds this year, so good to see so well. Sounds like you enjoyed them too.
The local patch has been quiet anyway - you havent missed much there! I got grabbed by Joy (she wanted a chat!!) last time I was there! Mink have been about.

Cheers, Dan. Hope you have some joy at half term. I found that at Titchwell with the YBW, admittedly I thought I'd had it once or twice but I think I might have been over optimistic. There were a few who kept saying I've just had it, but we wasn't convinced. You're right, there hasn't been much down Wyver judging by the log book but I'm back now :-O. As you already know, Stonechat down there Tuesday and c75 Redwing south.

Wyver lane bird notes
September 2008

Wintering wildfowl slowly return with 2 Wigeon on the 12th and maybe surprisingly only a maximum of 5 by the months end, Shoveler were seen most days with 8 on the 16th, 8 Red head Goosanders came into roost on 11th, 51 Teal on the 2nd, 5 Tufted Ducks on the 14th, a drake Gadwall on the 2nd, 3 escaped Cape Shelduck remained all month.

A single Little Grebe was seen on several dates throughout the month. 3 Grey Herons on the 6th, 14th and 17th, 4 Cormorants on the 11th, 21 Coot on 30th. Unfortunately, one of the three remaining juvenile Mute Swans was found dead on the main pool on the 9th. 140 Black-Headed Gulls on the 2nd and a Common Gull on the 27th.

Raptors include a Peregrine over the reserve on the 7th, a Hobby on the 9th and an immature through on the 2nd, 6 Buzzards on the 16th, female Sparrowhawk on the 10th, 11th and 27th and a male on the 24th.

The only Wader reported was Lapwing with 130 on the 2nd.

Hirundines moved south in good numbers including 350 Swallows on the 2nd, 200 on the 6th, 70 on the 9th, 60 on the 11th and 9 on the 23rd. 100’s of House Martins moved through on the 9th, 28 on 17th, 20 on 24th 5 on 23rd and 4 on 30th. 50 Sand Martins on the 6th.

2 Ravens were heading west on the 11th. 2 Whinchats were seen on the 13th and stayed until the following day. 6 Stock Doves on the 16th, 3 Reed Bunting on the 16th, both Green Woodpecker and Great Spotted Woodpecker were seen regularly, 3 Chiff Chaffs and a Willow Warbler on the 11th, a Nuthatch on 4th, a single Linnet on 13th, 4 Goldcrests on 17th, 2 Jays on 9th and 14th and a Kingfisher on the 14th.

Dave Newcombe

[email protected]

Timely reminder Clive - I forgot to mention 12 south at Wyver on friday morning to Dave. Having left the hide and made relevant notes there is always something else that seems to crop up which then doesnt get recorded! There was a female Stonechat in the reeds near the car pull in on the way out (did text Dave re this).
Anyone had any more Swallows today?
Finally sad sight of a dead Tawny Owl in the tennis courts at Belper Meadows saturday morning. Possibly flown into the high surrounding nets.

Timely reminder Clive - I forgot to mention 12 south at Wyver on friday morning to Dave. Having left the hide and made relevant notes there is always something else that seems to crop up which then doesnt get recorded! There was a female Stonechat in the reeds near the car pull in on the way out (did text Dave re this).
Anyone had any more Swallows today?
Finally sad sight of a dead Tawny Owl in the tennis courts at Belper Meadows saturday morning. Possibly flown into the high surrounding nets.

Good late record of 12 Swallows, Dan. Such a shame about the Tawny Owl, was it you who found it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back