• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Derbyshire County Birding (3 Viewers)

Missed it by half an hour too, after an hour on the bike to get there. Dipping to get fit, that's me.
At least the Leash Fen SEOs put on a good display last evening, still 3 there, and one very peeved Kestrel.

Knew I should have gone up to the moors after but was a little peeved myself so went home in a huff:-O

Great Northern Diver at Carsington Water today from Lane End hide. I wonder if it could be a returning bird from last year. Has anyone seen it?
Also the 3 Cape Shelducks that have arrived form Wyver Lane were at Paul Stanley hide.

Great Northern Diver at Carsington Water today from Lane End hide. I wonder if it could be a returning bird from last year. Has anyone seen it?
Also the 3 Cape Shelducks that have arrived form Wyver Lane were at Paul Stanley hide.

Didn't catch the GND myself today, busy with half-term crowds in the wildlife centre, but it I'm told it was seen perhaps a week ago from Sheepwash.
I tend to compare these birds with the returning Pacific Diver in Wales, if they can manage to make that trip twice, surely it's no stretch for the GND to find us again?

The Cape/Paradise/??? Shelducks were on Flat Island with a Yellow-leg this morning, and a Peregrine swooped over Horseshoe Island only to be roundly mobbed by the early customers in the gull roost. That was the best of it though.

Sadly, no Grey Pharalope to be seen.

Didn't catch the GND myself today, busy with half-term crowds in the wildlife centre, but it I'm told it was seen perhaps a week ago from Sheepwash.
I tend to compare these birds with the returning Pacific Diver in Wales, if they can manage to make that trip twice, surely it's no stretch for the GND to find us again?

The Cape/Paradise/??? Shelducks were on Flat Island with a Yellow-leg this morning, and a Peregrine swooped over Horseshoe Island only to be roundly mobbed by the early customers in the gull roost. That was the best of it though.

Sadly, no Grey Pharalope to be seen.

Thanks for that, James, though I'm slightly confused by the GND sighting. Bird Guides suggests it was present today at 12.55 unless it's an error on their part.

Thanks for that, James, though I'm slightly confused by the GND sighting. Bird Guides suggests it was present today at 12.55 unless it's an error on their part.

GND showing from Lane End early this afternoon. Also 2 SE Owls at Beeley triangle, from 16:00, along with 2 Stonechat and large numbers of Fieldfare also in the area.

Cheers.

GND showing from Lane End early this afternoon. Also 2 SE Owls at Beeley triangle, from 16:00, along with 2 Stonechat and large numbers of Fieldfare also in the area.

Cheers.

Nice one, James must have heard some iffy info ;) I'd love to be able to get out and see some of these birds but as you know I've got more pressing things on at the moment. Not even seen a single Fieldfare yet.

I take it the GND is an adult then? If it is it must be a good guess its last years bird again. Must try to get up to see some of these birds at some point!!

Cheers

Yes, juv.

Darn I really did think it could have been the bird from last year.......

Now we need to start looking for our old friend from the Good Ol' USofA, the Ring billed don't we. It has returned around the first week in November for the last few years hasn't it:t:

Noticed quite a few finches and thrushes this pm going over Belper, presume its the much awaited wind change to the NE.

Cheers

Also large numbers of Fieldfare in the area between Beeley and Leash Fen yesterday, and lots of Starlings on the fields.No sign of any SEO's though, but it was raining/sleeting quite hard.

Good day at Carsington today,8 Common Scoter,Turnstone,Dunlin,Redshank,GN Diver,Goldeneye,Kingfisher,Raven and Peregrine.

Notice from the pager the Ring Billed Gull has returned to Carsi, from the Paul Stanley Hide this pm... right on time!

Cheers

Notice from the pager the Ring Billed Gull has returned to Carsi, from the Paul Stanley Hide this pm... right on time!

Cheers

Yes, was up there this afternoon, SM picked it out on Flat Island and again later from Sheepwash. Think JB had it yesterday. Would like to try and pick it myself, but the distance always proves too much for me:-C Still also present 7 Common Scoter and GN Diver. Uncanny how the RBG turns up at the same time each year, but also dissappears mid/late December, so if you want to catch up with it......

I reckon the RBG arrives with the larger numbers of LBB's and leaves for the south when they do as the winter sets in.... Would love to know where it spends the day...and the rest of the winter???

Saw a message whilst I was in Linc's yesterday saying there were 2 GNDivers????

Cheers

Just been looking at Bird Guides and there are 4 Great Northern Divers at Carsington today off Stones Island. Also, the 7 Common Scoter still present.

Had an afternoon at Carsington this today, excellent with 7 female Common Scoters from Paul Stanley hide, 3 GN Divers (one mid res and two up near Stones Island) and the adult Ring billed Gull from PSHide and Sheepwash. Plus the usual other suspects!

Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back