• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Derbyshire County Birding (11 Viewers)

A Nice place to visit,this weekend was my friend & myself first time at Foremark showed very well today into this afternoon.Here's 1 of my best shots from today.More photo's on my website

Attachments

• 109.jpg
    109.jpg
    189.4 KB · Views: 50
Not heard of any others yet, so I am reporting my first singing Willow Warbler, on the farm opposite home in Belper today (31.3.09)!
It was a really sunny afternoon and I think it was encouraged to make its presence felt....

Not heard of any others yet, so I am reporting my first singing Willow Warbler, on the farm opposite home in Belper today (31.3.09)!
It was a really sunny afternoon and I think it was encouraged to make its presence felt....

Not heard of any myself, Dan. Shouldn't be too long though. Had my first singing Blackcap at carsi yesterday.

Had a bit of a red letter day yesterday. Red necked Grebe at Formark, along with RB Merganser.Lesser Pecker at Allestree park, and then an Osprey circling over Cromford for about 15 mins.In between, Peregrinex3,Little OwlX2, Ravenx2 and a few other bits and bobs.

Red Necked Grebe

Had a bit of a red letter day yesterday. Red necked Grebe at Formark, along with RB Merganser.Lesser Pecker at Allestree park, and then an Osprey circling over Cromford for about 15 mins.In between, Peregrinex3,Little OwlX2, Ravenx2 and a few other bits and bobs.

Looks like you had a cracking day.

Just a quick question if I may, I was hoping of popping along to see the Red Necked Grebe on Sunday and was wondering where the best place to head for around the reservoir?

Tim

Looks like you had a cracking day.

Just a quick question if I may, I was hoping of popping along to see the Red Necked Grebe on Sunday and was wondering where the best place to head for around the reservoir?

Tim

Not sure what the usual situation is, but when I was there the bird was between the two carparks so very easy to see. I did however speak to a well known Derbyshire birder who told me it can be difficult to find at times.

Not sure what the usual situation is, but when I was there the bird was between the two carparks so very easy to see. I did however speak to a well known Derbyshire birder who told me it can be difficult to find at times.

Hi Clive

Thanks for the info, looks like it might be best to just turn up and keep my finger crossed.
Just hope the weather stays fine.

Tim.

I know it's just nudged into S.Yorks, but have any of you guys seen the GG Shrike on the A57 near Strines? I'm thinking of having a look up after work today to see if it's still there.

4 Avocets at Carsington from Sheepwash hide, present now.
Edit-Now 5 birds on Horseshoe Island.

Last edited:
Lesser Pecker at Markeaton Park this morning - big park to aim for and ends up in trees surprisingly right by Queensway. Might not be a coincidence that one of their former sites at Watson St/Sturgess Fields (just across the road) is now crawling with guys clearly about to build on there.

Matt

Wyver Lane bird notes for March 2009

March highlights; Wheatear, Water Rail, Stonechat and the return of Hirundines.

Maximum counts for March include 11 Grey Herons on 29th, 80 Wigeon on 3rd and 16 by the 31st, 5 Shoveler on 17th, 4 Pochard on 3rd and 7th, 9 Tufted Duck on 29th, 8 Goosander on 7th, 14 Teal on 23rd and 31st, 90 Canada Geese on 3rd, 56 Greylag Geese on 3rd, 1 Pink Footed Goose present all month often with the local Canadas and Greylags, A lone male Mute Swan on 17th, a Little Grebe on 3rd and 18th, a Water Rail on 3rd and 17th, and 11 Coot on 17th.

4 Buzzards were seen on 31st with 3 on 7th and 23rd, 2 Sparrowhawks on 23rd and 29th, 2 Kestrel on 23rd.

2 Oystercatchers on 23rd and single birds on the 3rd, 7th and 16th, 2 Snipe on 31st and a Curlew was heard calling also on 31st, c20 Lapwing on 16th.

The only species of Gull reported was Black Headed Gull with 86 on 3rd and 93 on 7th.

A Tawny Owl was heard calling on 23rd and a Little Owl also heard calling on the 23rd. The first Sand Martin was recorded on 19th and surprisingly not again for the remainder of the month. The first Swallow was a record of three birds on 23rd, 1 on the 27th and 10-15 through on the 30th.

A Wheatear was seen on the old landfill site on 16th. A Stonechat on 7th, a Chiff Chaff on 16th and 2 on 19th and 29th. A Raven on the 29th and 30th. 11 Reed Buntings on 3rd, Skylark over on 23rd, 4 Siskin on 23rd, and 20+ Starling on 23rd. 4 Stock Doves on 3rd and 30th, 3 Mistle Thrush on 3rd and a Green Woodpecker on 3rd, a drumming Great Spotted Woodpecker on the 16th. The only Winter Thrush of the month was c30 Fieldfare on 17th.

A pair of Grey Wagtails have been observed at the north end of the reserve for most of the month and a pair of Pied Wagtails were around the main pool area on the 25th. A possible Linnet with nesting material was seen on 23rd.
A Treecreeper on 17th and 10 Magpies and 2 Jays also on 17th.

Last edited:
More Waxwings.........pulled up at my office this morning to be greeted by 8 berry gobblers in the car park! Wonderful surprise....anyone local - they are on Midland Way, Barlborough off J30 M1. Plenty of berries still...........

Received an email earlier about a Swift at Carsington. Looked on bird guides and one was seen heading west at 10.10. I don't have many records to hand but It looks like one of the earliest records of common Swift in Derbyshire for many a year.

I see there's a probable Night Heron reported in Sawley this evening flying towards Attenborough. Anyone know anymore?

Received an email earlier about a Swift at Carsington. Looked on bird guides and one was seen heading west at 10.10. I don't have many records to hand but It looks like one of the earliest records of common Swift in Derbyshire for many a year.

3rd earliest ever Swift according to DOS.
White Wag and Yellow Wag at Carsington this evening.

Merganser Extravaganza....well 1 anyway. Female Red Breasted still at Foremark Res this morning, ranging either side of the tower but staying v close to the Northern bank, but easily seen with scope from car park. Also Swallows here and in Willington and Repton this morning.

Best,

Matt

1 Pink Footed Goose with Greylag flock at Abbey Hill Floods this morning and a Sedge Warbler at Nut Wood on the other side of the Derwent. Pair of Willow Tits at Etwall yesterday.

Wonder if the Leics Red Rumped Swallow might find it's way towards the Trent Valley....

Matt

Users who are viewing this thread

Back