• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Derbyshire County Birding (1 Viewer)

Hi All

Headed off to see the Great Grey Shrike today, didn't manage to get a shot as it always stayed just that little too far away. It was over by the house near the cross roads for most of the time I was there.

Also seen around were a couple of Ring Ozouls from the road.

So a couple of nice birds in one day, can't be bad.

Tim

Anyone know any details on the Chettis Warbler present, according to the pager, on a pond next to the Derwent by Raynesway in Derby? Directions or something...I have no idea about this pond let alone access or parking?

Cheers

Steph'

Anyone know any details on the Chettis Warbler present, according to the pager, on a pond next to the Derwent by Raynesway in Derby? Directions or something...I have no idea about this pond let alone access or parking?

Cheers

Steph'

This is what it says on Bird Guides, Steph.
Still singing; take the footpath along the River Derwent from Raynesway and view across the river near the old bridge to British Celanese.
Apart from that I can't really help you.

My best guess for parking would be park in Alvaston Park (or maybe even somewhere in Pride Park - JJB?) and then it's a very short walk to the Derwent but then a fair walk along the riverbank from there (I've not been today though so don't know exactly where bird is).

I'm a bit uncertain about the talk of old bridges and new bridges. :smoke:

Alvaston Park can have a bit of an iffy rep but we got broken into on a jam packed summers day at Attenborough so who knows.

I might have a look myself tomorrow, but after my 1 hour at the RR Swallow twitch coinciced with the one hour it didn't show on the day I went I may have to self-flagellate myself with some patch watching til I feel better!!

Gd luck!

Matt

Another Red Kite on Sunday - drifted past my Sisters place in Duffiled apparently.....whilst I was in Norfolk! bugger.......
Sounds like there is a real lingerer in that area again.

Grasshopper Warbler and Lesser Whitethroat at Mackworth Park this morning. The Gropper was in bushes between the two large scrubby fields, occasionally showing well enough (in between it's slow journey through thick undergrowth at just a foot off the ground!) to show its whole body vibrating when it reeled. I'd never really heard of this site til last year but I do think it has excellent potential, with the best birding bits also the least disturbed, a new pond on the way and the postponement of house building on the site with the credit crunch. Marsh Tit have has also been recorded from here in the past.

ATB,

Matt

Hi

I spent the weekend at Matlock at a friends house and a lovely part of the world the surrounding area certainly is. Whilst out early on Saturday morning (the 18th) I had good views of 2 singing redstarts on Matlock golf course. In Lothian where I live this would be an early date-they are scarce and end of April is when I typically see them. So for you southerners ;) is this an early or a typical record. And are they faring well?-looks like a lot of suitable habitat for them in the areas I was walking

Hi

I spent the weekend at Matlock at a friends house and a lovely part of the world the surrounding area certainly is. Whilst out early on Saturday morning (the 18th) I had good views of 2 singing redstarts on Matlock golf course. In Lothian where I live this would be an early date-they are scarce and end of April is when I typically see them. So for you southerners ;) is this an early or a typical record. And are they faring well?-looks like a lot of suitable habitat for them in the areas I was walking

Mid April is fairly standard in these parts. As you say we have plenty of excellent habitat in Derbyshire, particularly the limestone dales. Not sure about numbers, but I would guess they are fairly stable.

2 GND still at Carsington, looks like they are going to tease us again with hints of summer plumage before they go. White Wagtails around too, but sod all on Stones Island with the crowds this kind of sun brings out.

Virtually treading on Blackcaps, no Redstarts yet though.

Nipped up to the pit here in Pleasley yesterday evening. Nice mix, Yellow Wag, Wheatear, a couple of Redshank, a few Teal and Ruddy Duck, at least three pairs of that small wader (you know the one I mean), Little Owls still around the place, Sparrowhawk nearly flew into me at dusk, the usual Mippits, Skylarks, Green Woodpeckers.
Good a place as any to give a bit of a time at the moment.

Watching 11 whiskered terns with Dave at willington now! If anyone wants info just call. 07831 491833 Dan ps. Pls don't mention Ruddy Duck on here

Had a stunning few hours at Willington GP's earlier today. Wasn't going to miss the opportunity of seeing 11 Whiskered Terns and I wasn't disappointed. First record in Derbyshire since 1883 when one was found shot by the river Trent in Barrow.

Attachments

• 016.jpg
    016.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 37
  • 025.jpg
    025.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 48
  • 030.jpg
    030.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 46
8/9 Whiskered Terns still at Willington GP this morning - a significant relief for me after I chose to spend my hours birding yesterday at Alvaston Park! :clap:

A lot of rarities do have a surreal factor to them, but the fact that this is nearly treble the previous ever biggest flock recorded in the UK makes it even more special.

Also Whinchat, Ring Ouzel, Gropper, Lesser Whitethroat and Swift reported from around the site at Willington.

Matt

Phew! What a relief to see 8 WTerns on Saturday! After being down south for a few days! Threw me into a panic in the hides at Ouse Washes RSPB when they came on the pager, much to my friends amusement! Thought I'd be the only Derbys lister not to see 'em!!
Also finally got the 2 Chettis recently, so not bad with 2 Derbys ticks!

Avocet and a superb summer plumaged Bar tailed Godwit at Carsi on Sunday night along with a pair of Mandarin! Nice to hear a Lesser Whitethroat in Shiningford Creek too...

Cheers

Steph'

Avocet and a superb summer plumaged Bar tailed Godwit at Carsi on Sunday night along with a pair of Mandarin! Nice to hear a Lesser Whitethroat in Shiningford Creek too...

Cheers

Steph'

Barwit still present this evening, and a few Swifts about also.

Hi Folks
there is some great sighting on this forum so enjoyable to read all the reports and photo's
thanks for the fun it gave me.

All the best& keep birding.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back