• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Derbyshire County Birding (1 Viewer)

Derbyshire Wildlife Trust launches legal action to halt cycle track on The Sanctuary

Derbyshire Wildlife Trust has today started a legal challenge against Derby City Council’s decision to grant planning permission for a cycle track on The Sanctuary Local Nature Reserve.

Following legal advice, the Trust has written to the Council to formally request that it ceases the site clearance work that has already begun on The Sanctuary. If work doesn’t stop immediately, the Trust will apply for a court injunction requiring them to stop.

The letter also outlines the grounds on which the Trust will seek a judicial review of the planning committee’s decision to approve the track. Conservation Manager Tim Birch explained: “A judicial review is a court proceeding that looks at the legality of a decision made by a public body. We have been advised that we have grounds to seek such a review on two counts – the absence of a winter bird survey of the nature reserve, meaning that there is incomplete information about its wildlife, and the offer of a compensatory site at Alvaston Scrub, which is inappropriate and inadequate.

“This is such an important issue both locally and nationally that we felt we had to explore all options to protect The Sanctuary. Destruction of the wildlife habitat on this Local Nature Reserve sets a dangerous precedent that makes other local nature reserves in Derbyshire and around the country vulnerable to development. If Derby City Council is prepared to build on this LNR, which will be the next they line up for development? Our wildlife continues to decline and it is vital that we do all we can to protect our local nature reserves. “

I have been a tad critical of DWT in the past on a number of counts but hats off to them for this initiative, I really hope they can achieve something with this.

Adult Little Gull at Carsi this morning, which then flew to a field NE of res. GND and drake Scaup still present.

Last edited:
Intrigued by the current spate of DNA'ed Lesser Whitethroats, I see the Tynemouth one has come back as blythi. I think that looks very like the photos of the Eggington bird. I wonder if anyone has asked the observer to see if they can get material for DNA? I see Richard Klim has pointed out that "van den Berg 2014 (Dutch Birding bird names) now treats blythi, halimodendri and margelanica as subspecies of Hume's Whitethroat Sylvia althaea, reflecting the divergence found by Olsson et al 2013." on the rare birds forum http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=277506 .... could be a very good bird for Derbyshire if they are ever split as sub species or full species in the UK.....

Intrigued by the current spate of DNA'ed Lesser Whitethroats, I see the Tynemouth one has come back as blythi. I think that looks very like the photos of the Eggington bird. I wonder if anyone has asked the observer to see if they can get material for DNA? I see Richard Klim has pointed out that "van den Berg 2014 (Dutch Birding bird names) now treats blythi, halimodendri and margelanica as subspecies of Hume's Whitethroat Sylvia althaea, reflecting the divergence found by Olsson et al 2013." on the rare birds forum http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=277506 .... could be a very good bird for Derbyshire if they are ever split as sub species or full species in the UK.....

Quite right Steph - I have been looking at the Sheffield bird on SBSG FB page, reproduced below via MG...........

http://birdingfrontiers.com/2014/02/25/siberian-lesser-whitethroat-in-sheffield/

Andys pics are ace and following analysis of the old "dislodged feather during ringing ;-)" they believe it to be Blythi ssp.

I got a call around lunchtime about a huge amount of Whoopers on Wyver. Most will know that I haven't been down Wyver for several months but the thought of seeing all these Whoopers tempted me out. So I grabbed my bins and shot down. Unfortunately on my way down I received a second call that they had left. Luckily they had been counted before they flew and a there was a massive 67. Easily Wyvers best ever count and one of Derbyshire's highest too. They had left high NW in the direction of Carsington. I rang Clive to let him know who wasn't there but went up just in case and there they were on the water.

Other bits on Wyver were 2 Gadwall, 2 Shoveler, several Teal, c20 Wigeon, 2 Pochard, c10 Tufties, 3 Goosander, a Pink-footed Goose, c100 Canadas, several Greylags, 2 Oycs, c50 BH Gulls and several Coots and Moorhens. Also a flock of c15 Siskins over.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back