• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Desert Song Sparrow (???) / Clay-Colored Sparrow (???), Green Valley, AZ (1 Viewer)

It's definitely not a Clay-colored Sparrow. Not with all that frontal striping. And, from the images I looked at for Desert Sparrow it does not look anything looking like that.

Looked at the bird first, and your 'wildlife' photographer second. Beautiful photography. Why don't any of my photos of Lincoln's Sparrows look like that?

Nice shots....yes...Lincoln as told by the side of the face.... I am from GV..although am in Australia at the moment so perhaps will see you in the field~ jim

Having enjoyed the rare pleasure of identifying an American sparrow correctly (on other features), could you help me further by saying what the side-of-face feature is exactly? Ta.
You always look for patterns, so forget color to begin with other than grayscale. Look at the pattern of the facial features in this case and see how unique it is to other features found.

Years back, field guides....(perhaps by necessity) were made in black and white. Birders would ID the pattern and not concentrate or be misguided by coloration etc. Patterns, the habitat, the way the bird might perch, etc....

So when Looking at a Lincoln's sparrow....in Green Valley, ...they are pretty common this time of the year in SE Arizona so habitat fits. Then for the pattern, look at the first image. If you can imagine grayscale, look out the lighter shades of gray reaching back on the cheek. Look at the eye ring.... It has an overall dull appearance given the gray on the cheek though. jim

look out the lighter shades of gray reaching back on the cheek. Look at the eye ring.... It has an overall dull appearance given the gray on the cheek though
I'm a bit lost. So . . . what's the difference in the pattern of the side of the face between song sparrow and Lincoln's sparrow?

I'm a bit lost. So . . . what's the difference in the pattern of the side of the face between song sparrow and Lincoln's sparrow?
Here is a good shot ...the Lincoln is on the left... The song is larger, to me in the field, the paleness of the Lincoln is larger as it extends back along the cheek and above the eye...
1643841026110.png

Lincoln’s are grayer overall in the face with a more contasting, Buffy mallar. Their breast streaking is also thinner and shaper, and usually is covered in a buff colored wash.

Another image ...

_DSC2702.jpg

Again, my apologies I couldn't get a clear shot. Too many sticks in the way.

But for sure, at least to my eye, it looks like a Lincoln's.

My own opinion is color is important. Birds actually see more colors than we do.

The song sparrow looks darker, more brick-colored.

The Lincoln's sparrow looks grayer, more buff-and lighter-colored.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back