• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Desert sparrow? (1 Viewer)

yasamin

I think it's a desert sparrow but I'm not sure because it has more similarities with female Crimson winged finch. Please ID these bird

place: Iran, Esfahan, Central Desert.

Attachments

• DSC_4858.jpg
    DSC_4858.jpg
    127.3 KB · Views: 310
  • DSC_4859.jpg
    DSC_4859.jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 182
Last edited:
Irrespective of the ID...a seedeater for sure!..I'm intrigued by the apparant 'neck loss' in the image shown?

cheers

Hello Yasamin. I am only a beginner to birdwatching too. The bird in the photo looks to have a wrong bill for a sparrow and the wings and tail have thin pale edges which I do not think happen on a sparrow. The bird looks very big as well when you see it next to the cherries. I have looked at the photographs of Crimson-winged Finch and I think it is more that than sparrow.

I was thinking it could be Rock Sparrow (Rock Petronia) but I wouldn't like to put any money on it without reference to some good quality photos, or without knowing if it even occurs in Iran

I've never seen Pale Rock Sparrow so have no idea if it could look like this, or if that species occurs in Iran either

Irrespective of the ID...a seedeater for sure!..I'm intrigued by the apparant 'neck loss' in the image shown?

cheers
Thanks for your comment
ok, Part of the neck is covered with leaves So for Better identify I uploaded another photo.

Yasamin Hi.....I'm assuming that Passer domesticus would be much paler in your area than they are in Northern Europe?...That being the case, then this could well be House Sparrow, based on the apparant rear eye-stripe and centre crown stripe, which don't seem to fit with Desert Sparrow or Crimson-winged Finch. cheers

I'm really confused, and it's a real shame the wings are mostly covered up. Here's some more thoughts.

Surely it can't be a House Sparrow with those crisp almost white edges to the tail and primary tips? Bill looks better for a sparrow than a finch to me, and Crimson-winged would surely show scaly flanks in these pics? Can we rule out imm Desert Finch even? Are those really streaks on the ups, or is it parted feathers (maybe can't rule out Desert Sparrow so quickly?). But then would Desert Sparrow always show dark centred tertials? Bill colour and tail wrong for Pale Rock Sparrow? What else lives in that area? A weird race of Dead Sea Sparrow?

What on earth is it?

Can't wait till someone cracks this one. Or maybe it is just a House sprog, as Screaming Piha and Ken say. Are you confident guys?

Last edited:
It certainly is not a Desert Sparrow, one reason being that it does not occur in Iran. Records of Desert Sparrow in Iran are a century old, and limited to a handful of records in the far eastern province, a thousand kilometres from Esfahan. There is even doubt to the accuracy of these records.

What the photographed bird is however is rather harder to say! Closest I can see is Pale Rock Sparrow, and it does look much like one of these!

When you say the bird was in Esfahan, do you mean within the city or the deserts around - if in the city, cage birds are popular there, so it could be an escapee just to muddle the picture.

Last edited:
It certainly is not a Desert Sparrow, one reason being that it does not occur in Iran. Records of Desert Sparrow in Iran are a century old, and limited to a handful of records in the far eastern province, a thousand kilometres from Esfahan. There is even doubt to the accuracy of these records.

What the photographed bird is however is rather harder to say! Closest I can see is Pale Rock Sparrow.

When you say the bird was in Esfahan, do you mean within the city or the deserts around - if in the city, cage birds are popular there, so it could be an escapee just to muddle the picture.
Thank you for your help
I saw this bird in the old castle near Ali abad koohan.
map (desert around Esfahan)
but I think Pale rock sparrow has long primary projection and whitish wing-bars, This specifications is not in this picture. Please explain more.

Whitish wing bars can be faded out by summer to a degree, but scratching my head with this individual - I would not rule out a pale female-type House Sparrow either.

Single bird or more? Also was it sticking to this vegetation?

Pale Rock Sparrow has a plain back, so not that species. Rock Sparrow worth thinking about, but where are the distinctive tail and wings and bill? House Sparrow still most likely for me.

Last edited:
Whitish wing bars can be faded out by summer to a degree, but scratching my head with this individual - I would not rule out a pale female-type House Sparrow either.

Single bird or more? Also was it sticking to this vegetation?

8 birds were vibrant that I could take pictures of it.
My was attracted to bright colors and their small size.
Ok, These were limited to this vegetation And did not see elsewhere.

Pale Rock Sparrow has a plain back, so not that species. Rock Sparrow worth thinking about, but where are the distinctive tail and wings and bill? House Sparrow still most likely for me.

Hi screaming piha
I can hardly accept the possibility of House sparrow, Because They were pale than House sparrow that I saw in there.

With that shape of bill and the very broad supercilium, i'd go for a recently fledged Rock Sparrow which would perhaps explain why the plumage looks a bit odd.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back