• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Different faces of the Ruppell's weaver (1 Viewer)

ammadoux

Registered doux
Rüppell's Weaver, Ploceus galbula, is a common bird in Jeddah gardens, it is also common bird in western Saudi Arabia, Yemen, and East Africa.

they are very similar to the southern masked weaver, , but there face mask is chestnut red, that color appears the best on breeding season. but the question is when is the breeding season for Ruppell's.

They build nests all year round, and now as i have quite large population in my region, i see youngsters almost all year round.

they suppose to loss there face mask outside the breeding season, i am used to seeing individuals with what i call dirty faces, which makes them different from fresh adults who have clear yellow face with semi black bill, and red eyes. by time red spots start to appear in there faces until the red mask is complete. those one are very common to see in Spring. they maybe confused with the female but the red iris is a clear sign on the male beside there larger size.

last week i was able to record 4 with different masks, the one that strikes me is the last one, which seem to be like balding Cardinals of north America, have never seen any like him before, hope it is not some kind of disease.

wonder what you think.

Attachments

• RW3.jpg
    RW3.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 84
  • RW2.jpg
    RW2.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 69
  • RW4.jpg
    RW4.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 75
  • RW1.jpg
    RW1.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 106
here are some more pics

1- breeding male

2- fresh adult

3- female

Attachments

• RW50.jpg
    RW50.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 488
  • non-breeding.jpg
    non-breeding.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 58
  • f-RW.jpg
    f-RW.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 100
Great captures Doux showing the different stages of this handsome weaver. It is interesting that in Jeddah they breed almost all year round. Just across the Red Sea in Ethiopia they have two defined breeding seasons in the Rift Valley ( up to 1600 m over sea level): the first in February with the start of the small rains and the second in June with the big rainy season. Males start to get the dark mask end of January and they remain with this coloration until the end of the second breeding period in July / August. In July/ August when fledglings leave the nests immediately the Cut Throat Finches occupy them. In the highlands (Jimma region) up to 2400 meters over sea level I observed that they only breed once a year - this is a own observation and not confirmed by others so far.
It seems that the mask of the males in Ethiopia is much darker than on your photos Doux. A different subspecies?

Last edited:
this is how that balding one is looking now, this shot is taken today October 9.

Attachments

• RW5.jpg
    RW5.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 50
these two shots , show the juvenile male and the fresh adult male. both did not get the face mask yet, but the fresh adult is already making nests.

Attachments

• RW6.jpg
    RW6.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 70
  • RW7.jpg
    RW7.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 66
closeup to the face mask show that it is not only red, but a region of complete black in the middle

Attachments

• RW9a.jpg
    RW9a.jpg
    262.7 KB · Views: 78
Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back