• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Digiscoping Dragonflies (1 Viewer)

Richard Ford

BF Member
This subject was touched upon within another thread.
I wondered if anyone else had used the technique to photograph insects?

I think its defiantly worth consideration for those who already have a Digiscoping set-up and are interested in Odonata. Provided you can find the subject which is always a problem its not that different to Digiscoping birds. It’s another option for a group of insects that can sometimes be unapproachable.

There is no reason why the technique could not also be applied to Butterflies and other groups of animals.

Rich

Hi Richard, after viewing images of your dragonfly and Fourcreeks in today's Gallery, I can see I need yet another "ID" book!
I spotted a"white saddlebag dragonfly" last week while birding at one of the local ponds. Next time I'm out I'll be looking for a chance to add one to my gallery collection. Thanks

Thanks Ken, yes I would quite like to find Red eyed Damsel, and get some shots.

Probably my best Digiscoped Dragonfly shot yet.
Four-spotted chaser (Libellula quadrimaculata)
Taken at Thursley Common Surrey.

Rich

Attachments

• 4spotchas14-06-03010lw.jpg
    4spotchas14-06-03010lw.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 402
Hi Richard,
you have definitely got this digiscoping thing off to a fine art. I like photographing all sorts of insect life. But I have a Pentax 35mm with 400mm lens or a Fuji 4.2 megapixel digital camera with a 3 times zoom. Still trying to get to grips with the digital camera I can't get close enough and as you know Butterflies don't stay put for very long. Neither seem ideal!!

Rich,
I agree with you that there are lots of opportunities to digiscope odonata. However, I find that by using the camera at arms length (almost impossible with a conventional camera), I can photograph some damelflies but dragonflies are much more difficult being easily disturbed. Having said that, they often have a favourite perch and therefore lend themselves to digiscoping. I have some camera only shots at one of my websites,

http://www.fwchalloner.com/Odonata.html

and here is a pic I took on Saturday (also camera only and it's a female Azure Damselfly I believe).

Colin

Attachments

• teneral.jpg
    teneral.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 379
Last edited:
I was just about to say something similar Colin, nice shot BTW and nice site, I am especially envious of the Banded demoiselle pic I haven¡¦t got near this species and my Digiscoped Beautiful Demoiselles were not much good either.

I haven¡¦t done a lot of Butterfly photography, but I suspect like Dragonflies that some species are more approachable than others. Bob, you should be able to get some great results with the Fuji all those pixels should make for some detailed images provided you can get close enough and they stay put which is always an issue. I tend to start taking shots with my Nikon at some distance then edge closer, with some dragonflies I have got the lens within centimetres of the insect, then you delete the distant ones. Obviously if this is possible there is no need to Digiscope them.

Keep at it with the Fuji and hang around a Budlia :)

Rich

Here is a Keeled Skimmer taken at the Weekend with a Nikon Coolpix and 3X Teleconvertor, also at Thursley Common in Surrey, careful movement and a straight arm and this species seems quite approachable. More at http://www.digitalwildlife.co.uk/dragonflies/

Attachments

• keeledskim14-06-03041lw.jpg
    keeledskim14-06-03041lw.jpg
    110.7 KB · Views: 361
Rich,
Thanks for the good words on the site and pics. Yes, the Banded Demoiselle was much more difficult than the Red and various Blue Damselflies but it seemed to settle after a while. I nearly gave up on it. As I said by using the camera at arms length and moving slowly often does the trick but before anyone attempts that you need to judge how much to twist the screen (I use a Coolpix 995), so that you will be able to see it when it is a long way from your eye, before you approach with your hand. If this is not right you will not be able to see the image clearly and then you have to withdraw, reset the screen and try again which lessens the chances of success.

Colin

I'm enjoyin this discussion. I found that I could get recognisable but not brilliant photos with my Fuji (3.1 megapixels) except in unusual circs. (such as when I rescued a dragonfly from a pond).
I don't have a good digiscoping set-up so I'm doing my best with an SLR camera and the equiv. of a 420mm lens.
Some species are definitely more approachable than others. But you can get unexpected opportunities. I saw an emperor dragonfly on a sedge the other day and it allowed me to approach quite close. Similarly, I disturbed a black-tailed skimmer but it came back to the same perch. Four-spotted chasers can also be quite obliging. Downy emeralds, on the other hand, I've had no luck with at all (so far!). The pix of Orthetrum chrysostigma on my gallery page were taken with a Fuji.. they are not brilliant but there was enough info to identify it.
Ken

I began digiscoping dragonflies and other insects when I upgraded my scope last summer. A technique I learned was to place sticks (nice looking ones) in the water along the edge of a pond/stream. Dragonflies/damsels will sit on them and you have a pre-focus point to shoot. I used several sticks at different heights to attract different species.

You did that on purpose didn’t you Ken :)
It took me some time to track it down as I am useless with the Latin names but yes, its great Ken.
With a bit of work in PhotoShop you could make it even better.
Kens shot of Orthetrum chrysostigma :)

Oldsquaw, i will be giving that a try in the near future thanks for the tip :t:
Why not post some pictures here so we can see the results.

Rich

Sorry, Redwing. I wasn't trying to be difficult! I've not got that many shots so it never occurred to me that it might be hard to track them down.
What should I do to improve them?
Ken

No, I just searched for it in the end it should help the Latin names ‘stick’ with me with any luck. ;-)

Sorry I hope you don't think I was criticising your photo Ken, I “play with” all my shots in Photoshop before I post them, levels, sharpening etc.
Perhaps you have done with yours. It’s a great shot.
I will PM you.

Thanks for the hints and tips Rich and Ken, and I did enjoy the pictures on your website Ken. Will visit again at home at my leisure. I will try carrying the Fuji and the Pentax with 400mm lens around at the same time in future field trips.

jayhunter said:
Thanks for the hints and tips Rich and Ken, and I did enjoy the pictures on your website Ken. Will visit again at home at my leisure. I will try carrying the Fuji and the Pentax with 400mm lens around at the same time in future field trips.

Thanks jayhunter. I'm putting more odo pix up in the near future... but have a look at Rich's site which has some brilliant ones!!
Ken

Great suggestion to put sticks up for the odos to perch on. I'm going to start trying it. I've been digiscoping odos for maybe 2 yrs. On a vacation trip last week, I scoped a very nicely colored Blue-eyed Darner which I posted to gallery here yesterday. That's a really good digiscope you put up of the Four-spotted in this thread, Rich. I just got my first Four-spotted on same trip, as we don't have them at home here in Portland area. It was way up in the Mtns of So. Oregon, about 5,000 ft. at the crystal clear headwaters of a mtn. stream. There was a very odd algae we went up to see, called Mare's egg.. so I'm told, and I took photos of some.. they're in fresh water and about size of a chicken egg and chalk-like or pummace-like weight and texture, then the little "baby" ones grow on it as little dark orbs.. it was pretty neat.
There are times you have to digiscope or long lens odos, and times you can creep up or wait in place as suggested above. The big darners don't even land often, so I didn't dare approach the Blue-eyed, before digiscoping it, and sure enough it flew after a few shots. Steve B

Redwing, I thought I'd post this shot of a red-eyed damselfly (well a pair, actually) so that you can see why I'm waiting for you to digiscope some. Even with a 210mm lens and doubler they were too far away to get a decent shot. (Notice superficial resemblance to blue-tailed, though they look more robust when you see them 'in the flesh')

Attachments

• red-eyed2.jpg
    red-eyed2.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 300
I finally got my digiscoping equipment up and have photographed birds, but above all, dragonflies.
This is a picture of a Four-spotted Skimmer. I have a lot of pictures of this species, but this on was sitting so beautifully on an Iris and the light was good so I had to take a couple fo more!

Attachments

• ruskohukankorento001.jpg
    ruskohukankorento001.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 278
Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back