• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Digiscoping Scotland (1 Viewer)

Fish hawk

Despite being a veteran birdwatcher I am new to digiscoping. I have bought some reasonable equipment (Opticron scope, Samsung camera, etc) but am finding it difficult to get the quality and focus of image I had hoped for.
I have a feeling that a lesson from an expert would help greatly. Is there anyone in Scotland (preferable but not necessarily west) who can help. I'm quite prepared to pay for someone's time.

Hello Fish Hawk and welcome to the forum. You could post up some photos to see some examples of problems are and how you are getting on.I have found its a bit of a black art at times and it takes a lot of practice to get results.Have you had a look at any of the threads in the archive. Theres a wealth of info and great tips tucked away in there. Scroll down to the right hand corner and click on archive. Here is a great post that deals with the basics of camera settings I know its for Nikon but a lot of it gos right across the board!!

http://www.birdforum.net/archive/index.php/t-3302.html

Fish Hawke, besides doing a search of the archives and posting up a few shots ( no matter whether they are good or bad), I would post the exact model of your scope, eyepiece and camera as this will help other members to possibly give some advise

Bob

Thanks Bob and dafi. I'll do a little more research via the suggested link and also post a more detailed note on the equipment when I'm home and have it in front of me. I'll also try to attach examples but the technology defeated me by telling me my pictures were too big and I had to reduce them! I'm not a complete technophobe but easily deterred...

Thanks Bob and dafi. I'll do a little more research via the suggested link and also post a more detailed note on the equipment when I'm home and have it in front of me. I'll also try to attach examples but the technology defeated me by telling me my pictures were too big and I had to reduce them! I'm not a complete technophobe but easily deterred...

Hi Fish Hawk and welcome to Bird Forum from the Staff & Moderators

Your pictures need to be no more than 800x600 pixels, if you have problems trying to do that, post again and let us know what software you have (or you can e-mail them to yourself!)

Keep an eye on the Scottish Bash Discussion thread We usually have a few each year and they are all great fun. You'd be most welcome to join us if you can manage.

D

It seems that old dogs can learn new tricks. This post should have a photo of a sedge warbler attached. The bird was in brilliant focus through the scope so the photo was a real disappointment.

Delia - I'll keep my eyes open for Scottish activities!

Attachments

• SNV30112A.jpeg
    SNV30112A.jpeg
    42.4 KB · Views: 129
Looks like the camera is not centered on the EP, the blackening to the lower right suggest that. Do you handhold it or have some kind of attachment?

Then the focus is not easy to get right, I never get it right if I focus the scope and then attach the camera. I always have to refocus the scope after attaching the camera, sometimes even after half pressing the trigger as well.

regards Björn

Bjorn, I'll try refocusing when the camera is attached. I have been using a tripod.
It seems there is possibly a digiscoping workhop later in the year in Scotland, so the forum has done its job!

A workshop sounds great, wish I could get one here. Nice to have someone show you how to do it and test different things.

Thanks again Dafi. I wonder if any other digiscopers have seen this? Probably a good use of £20.....
Funnily enough the reed bunting on the ad doesn't seem in brilliant focus. Maybe my aspirations are too high but I've seen some great photos on birdforum.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back