• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

DIJ's Yearlist 2009 (UK) (1 Viewer)

Instead of going to Elsea Woods for my after school birdwatch this week I decided to take an hour cycle ride down to Baston Fen NR. Baston is known for having its good days- and its bad, but luckily today was pretty good:t:

I started off with hearing a cuckoo on arrival, and then when walking along the River Glen a G.S woodie flew past, also saw 4 Tufties and many mallard pairs on the river. Also 1 Great Crested Grebe and a flock of Greylags flew past. Actually on the Reserve there were a few pairs of Sedge Warblers and many Reed Buntings in the reeds. Also counted 7 Snipe feeding in the reeds (only saw because we accidentally scared them off!). Also heard a Unusual gull like call from overhead and only to find 2 Common Terns!

Baston Fen NR 22/04/09
113) Sedge Warbler
114) Common Tern
115) Snipe

Last edited:
Exam season has begun! Birding is grinding to a steady halt, and revision has totally tacken its place. How will I live till the 15th June (End of Exams B :))!! Only a few common migrants to add to the list...

Bardsey, Leeds 02/05/09
116) House Martin

Tesco Express, Bourne 05/05/09
117) Swift

Took the dog for a walk in the woods today; plenty of warblers, Whitethroats, Willow warblers, chiffchaffs and Blackcaps very vocal and...

Bourne Woods-09/05/09
119) Grasshopper Warbler

Gave itself away with its distinctive chirpping!

Been a while since I'd been down Northorpe Fen so checked it out, found a Wheatear which is s first for me down 'the fen' also
Northorpe Fen-16/05/09
120) Marsh Harrier

Had a great day out at Bempton Cliffs and Blacktoft Sands today. Up at 3:30am (groan groan) but was all worth it! Cliffs alive with kittiwakes, fulmars, gannets, guillemots and razorbills. Also saw the odd Puffin in amongst the madness!

Bempton Cliffs, Yorkshire-24/05/09
121) Kittiwake
122) Razorbill
123) Guillemot
124) Gannet
125) Fulmar
126) Puffin

Next we moved onto a quieter location, Blacktoft Sands. Not much in terms of waders, but good for ducks and reed-bed birds! Unfortunately no sign of bearded tits apart from unidentifyable flutterings between the reeds...

Blacktoft Sands, Humber Estruary
127) Reed Warbler
128) Avocet
129) Garganey

Its been a while, but exams are now over and summer holidays have started for me. Going to Spain in August which will be fun, hopefully visit Donana wrong time of year but should be good for raptors.

Matlock area, Peak District-27/06/09
130) Dipper

Elsea Woods, Bourne-08/07/09
131)Spotted Flycatcher
132)Lesser Whitethroat

Looked for a Quail, didnt find a Quail:-Cmaybe next time...

Thurlby Fen Slipe-10/07/09
133) Garden Warbler

Went to Rutland Water in search for the Ospreys, didnt have long though and failed :( they wernt at there favourite haunt I wasnt the only one left disapointed.

Rutland Water 8/08/09
134)Common Sandpiper
135)Arctic Tern

Off to Spain tomorrow and will go to Donana at some point!

Back from Spain! Didnt do to much birding but had a look around,

Bollulos del Condado-10/08/09
136) Orphean Warbler
137) Booted Eagle

Somewhere on the way to Sanlucar-17/08/09
138)Black Kite
139)Spanish Imperial Eagle
140)White Stork
141)Bee-eater
142)Montagu's Harrier

Rocina visitors centre-18/08/09
143)Tawny Pipit
144)Melodious Warbler
145)Wryneck
146)Hoopoe
147)Azure-winged Magpie

Possibly saw some Spanish Sparrows but they looked alot like House Sparrows, maybe a crossbreed?

Wind picked up at lunch time today blowing the swallows around alot, then i was lucky enough to spot...

Northorpe Fen-22/08/09
148)Black Tern

Looked to be flying in the general direction of Rutland Water which is a 40 min drive away, otherwise i havent a clue why it was flying over open farmland!

Also the S. Imperial Eagle i saw in Spain I think may have been just luck! My Aunties house is situated right in on the edge of Donana and Rocina where we saw the bird isnt far away. Normally they would be very difficult to locate.

Birdfair! Had a great time met a few celebs and got Simon Kings new book signed !

Rutland Water 23/08/09
149)Osprey
150)Willow Tit

Got an excellent new camera and went out to take some photos, big flocks of Greenfinch and Goldfinch, then went for a bigger challenge- Swallows. Then the swallows I was photographing flew off the wires and a Hobby apeard out of nowhere, failed to catch one but it was breathtaking. Enough to throw me of guard and ending up taking photos of Blue Sky rather than a certain bird of prey!!!

Northorpe Fen-19/09/09
151) Hobby

Went out to Frampton Marsh this morning, early start (ergh!) but we had a great time and some great birds.

Frampton Marsh-4/10/09
152)Greenshank
153)Brent Geese (coming in off of the North Sea)
154)Twite (a group of about 70 birds also fresh in off the North Sea)

Tide was out but we could see a mass of waders out on the wash through our scopes...hopefully next time we may get a close up view :)

Another trip to Frampton Marsh, tide was out again but great birds nonetheless.

Frampton Marsh-08/11/09
155)Great White Egret :)D)
156)Grey Plover

Also a group of Fieldfares present with a large flock of buntings and finches (mainly Goldfinches, Reed Bunting and Twite).

Ok this Frampton thing is now getting into an addiction 8-P

Frampton Marsh-28/11/09
157)Stonechat

Yikees this year went fast! Managed a day down South in Dorset (Swanage) on the last day of the new year.

Durlston Country Park- 31/12/09
158) Peregrine
159) Shag
160) Black Redstart

160! The finally tally :) Not bad or good for my first year keeping a list and my GCSE year.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back