• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Diopter malfunction (1 Viewer)

Royfinn

My Viking ED Pro bins have central diopter. I have moved it extreme left on the minus side, but I still can't get sharp picture at same time for both eyes - there is not enough room for adjustment. Before it worked ok, but I think that something has gone wrong with the diopter. It's annoying, but still in usable condition, but if diopter setting keeps moving to the left, it becomes unusable. :unsure:
:cry:

My Viking ED Pro bins have central diopter. I have moved it extreme left on the minus side, but I still can't get sharp picture at same time for both eyes - there is not enough room for adjustment. Before it worked ok, but I think that something has gone wrong with the diopter. It's annoying, but still in usable condition, but if diopter setting keeps moving to the left, it becomes unusable. :unsure:
:cry:

What you are speaking of is the center focus knob. The DIOPTER adjustment (with the numerals) is on one of the eyepieces. The center focus knob focuses BOTH eyepieces while the diopter knob (ring) and is used to compensate for the difference in the strengths of your eyes, once you have adjusted the center focus. You can’t use one adjustment and think that is good enough.

Bill

Last edited:
What you are speaking of is the center focus knob. The DIOPTER adjustment (with the numerals) is on one of the eyepieces. The center focus knob focuses BOTH eyepieces while the diopter knob (ring) and is used to compensate for the difference in the strengths of your eyes, once you have adjusted the center focus. You can’t use one adjustment and think that is good enough.

Bill

No - on the ED Pro they used a central dioptre adjustment attached to the centre focus knob, rathan one on one of the eyepieces.

Royfinn; If I understand the way that the diopter adjust works , after making the dioptric adjustment, you push the center focus knob back in to lock the correction? If so, you may have broken the plastic part in the lock mechanism. I was alerted to a problem that happens on the bushnell Ultra HD ED binoculars that has a similar locking setup. It's possible to push in on the ring between the detents that the adjust is supposed to lock into, causing the detent ring to break, so on my bino, I never engage the lock setup. If available I'd either confer with the company about the binocular and the apparent problem you are having or if out or warranty- gnash your teeth and buy another bino- sorry but there are several binos out there with a similar convenience that is potentially also a problem. Regards, Pat

No - on the ED Pro they used a central dioptre adjustment attached to the centre focus knob, rathan one on one of the eyepieces.
Exactly. Most top of the range roof prism binoculars have a central dioptre adjustment, which is accomplished by either a pull-out focusser wheel, which de-couples the internal focussing lens in the left barrel, or by an independent adjustment of the internal focussing lens in the right barrel.
Examples are Leica Ultravids and Noctivids, Meopta Meostars, Nikon EDGs, all(?) Swarovskis and Zeiss Victories.

John

Surely a binocular worth repairing; presumably a version of this Japanese Kamakura model :

Viking has a genuine service facility :

Most top of the range roof prism binoculars have a central dioptre adjustment,
Even some cheaper ones do. Like my Kenko-made 10x42 Fujinon KF or the DDoptics "Lux HR" models (around the 500€-mark but no longer made) that were/are also sold by Perl/Vixen as "EscapED".

Surely a binocular worth repairing; presumably a version of this Japanese Kamakura model :

Yes, there are lots of versions under different name. Viking ED pro was initially sold for 800€, then the price went down. I bought it 3 years ago for 300€.
Viking has a genuine service facility :
I check it out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back