• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Disappointing Leica Repair (1 Viewer)

quincy88

I sent in a pair of Trinovid BN 8x32s for repair in May, 2022. I have not gotten them back yet and they will not provide a return date.
They have offered me a pair of Trinovid HDs to replace them. I pointed out that the Trinovid BN line was replaced with the Ultravid line, but they don't want to replace them with Ultravids.
What would you do? Continue to wait for my Trinovid BNs to be repaired indefinitely? Or take the HDs?

I would wait....either you are on the back burner in regards to repair, or....they lack the parts. But let them figure that out (latter)...

Perhaps ask them why it has taken so long? 8 months and waiting. Is this Leica in the US or the EU?.
I think that's been a really long time!
I would demand at least a justification for this waiting period.

Andreas
Leica US.
They have given me a few excuses and explanation's over the months. I was in line for a while. Then Leica US were moving to a new location. Then they didn't have the parts. Then they did have the parts, but they didn't get repaired. Then they didn't have the parts again. Then the repair was complete and they were about to be sent out. Then they didn't have the parts again...
It's been confusing and disorganized.

Reminds me of my other hobby - watches. Wait times are insane sometimes. I waited a year once for a watch to be serviced. Depends on how much you want it back, I guess.

Reminds me of my other hobby - watches. Wait times are insane sometimes. I waited a year once for a watch to be serviced. Depends on how much you want it back, I guess.
Uh oh. I've been getting into watches for the last year or so. Pretty sure the algorithm tricked me into it, but it is a fascinating world. None of my watches have needed servicing yet...

I think if you push them further then they ( Leica US ) may well return them as " unrepairable " and cover themselves by saying we did offer you a replacement, even though not an Ultravid as you had wished. Personally I would try to negotiate a fair price on a pair of Ultravid 8 x 32, with you trading in the BNs, again highlighting the lengthy delay etc, and paying the difference. At the moment you have a broken pair of binos, several excuses and no idea of if and when they may get repaired - maybe never seen again! I thought that Leica had upped their game regarding service and repairs but sadly not in your case.
Good luck though. Tough call.

Seems like things at Leica in New Jersey have been disrupted since the end of covid and the move to another location. There a slew of new folks there as well.

quincy, sad to hear this, yet another report on Leica's attempt at customer service here in the USA. I had my last dealing with them on 3, yes 3 different sets of Leica Geovid RF/Binos last year and I swore then to never again buy any Leica sport optic ever again. Nevertheless there is a guy at Leica I believe you should contact to help get this sorted out, as he is the guy who finally got my mess handled. His name is Hamilton Boykin. I am sending you a PM with his contact info. He is a good guy, and hopefully he will be able to help you as well.

quincy, sad to hear this, yet another report on Leica's attempt at customer service here in the USA. I had my last dealing with them on 3, yes 3 different sets of Leica Geovid RF/Binos last year and I swore then to never again buy any Leica sport optic ever again. Nevertheless there is a guy at Leica I believe you should contact to help get this sorted out, as he is the guy who finally got my mess handled. His name is Hamilton Boykin. I am sending you a PM with his contact info. He is a good guy, and hopefully he will be able to help you as well.
Great. Thank you jgriader. I received your PM and will reach out to Hamilton.

This is why I don't get so excited about warranties on binoculars. I don't want my binos to ever need service, sending them off to points unknown is a traumatizing experience once you've grown attached to them :)

I'd rather have a robust bino than a great warranty program. I think I'd rather see a 30-day warranty on all new binos. That would enable a big drop in prices, and the people who abuse binos would pay for the service. Right now, people that take care of their optics are effectively subsidizing those that don't.

This is how it works for most products. Additional warranty time is offered as an add-on at the time of purchase. Without long-term warranty, you'd probably see a bunch of smaller bino repair shops in business.

and no-fault warranty? So when I buy new binos, I'm paying for the guy that left his on the roof of the car. Warranty coverage can go too far IMO.

This is why I don't get so excited about warranties on binoculars. I don't want my binos to ever need service, sending them off to points unknown is a traumatizing experience once you've grown attached to them :)

I'd rather have a robust bino than a great warranty program. I think I'd rather see a 30-day warranty on all new binos. That would enable a big drop in prices, and the people who abuse binos would pay for the service. Right now, people that take care of their optics are effectively subsidizing those that don't.

This is how it works for most products. Additional warranty time is offered as an add-on at the time of purchase. Without long-term warranty, you'd probably see a bunch of smaller bino repair shops in business.

and no-fault warranty? So when I buy new binos, I'm paying for the guy that left his on the roof of the car. Warranty coverage can go too far IMO.
Yeah the BNs are legendarily robust. Unfortunately though, this pair broke.
I'm not sure if they are under warranty, and I would suspect that they are not. I'd readily pay for the repairs if Leica USA were able to perform them.

Yeah the BNs are legendarily robust. Unfortunately though, this pair broke.
I'm not sure if they are under warranty, and I would suspect that they are not. I'd readily pay for the repairs if Leica USA were able to perform them.
That's too bad. I"ve heard good things about Suddarth optical repair, maybe you could call him & see if this is something he could do???

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back