• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Diver(Loon) - Bulgaria (1 Viewer)

Nikolai Kolev

I saw this bird today in Bulgaria - Rozov Kladenets dam( in the middle of the country). My impresiion is about Gavia immer, but i didn't have experience with this species. I made a lot of pictures with low quality. The bird was standing on the middle of the dam.

Attachments

• immer12.jpg
    immer12.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 50
  • immer11.jpg
    immer11.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 56
  • immer10.jpg
    immer10.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 60
  • immer9.jpg
    immer9.jpg
    196.3 KB · Views: 59
  • immer8.jpg
    immer8.jpg
    393.4 KB · Views: 55
  • immer7.jpg
    immer7.jpg
    183.6 KB · Views: 51
  • immer6.jpg
    immer6.jpg
    162.9 KB · Views: 48
  • immer5.jpg
    immer5.jpg
    208.8 KB · Views: 41
  • immer4.jpg
    immer4.jpg
    112.8 KB · Views: 38
  • immer3.jpg
    immer3.jpg
    268.1 KB · Views: 35
  • immer2.jpg
    immer2.jpg
    176.2 KB · Views: 38
  • immer1.jpg
    immer1.jpg
    148.8 KB · Views: 41
Bill doesn't seem to have the bulk of Great Northern and it's not got the delicately upturned bill of Red-throated so...................

Yes, a Great Northern Diver Gavia immer. I guess an unusual record for Bulgaria? There were quite good movements of them along the east coast of Britain a few days ago, so it may be associated with those movements.
They've penetrated well into the Alpine region too Andrew, I calculate around six individuals in Switzerland in November, there's one on Lake Maggiore in Italy and another in Austria on Traunsee lake, I must check the local trout fishing lake here in my neck of the woods!

They've penetrated well into the Alpine region too Andrew, I calculate around six individuals in Switzerland in November, there's one on Lake Maggiore in Italy and another in Austria on Traunsee lake, I must check the local trout fishing lake here in my neck of the woods!
Yes, there seem to be quite a few records from central Europe over recent weeks on Ebird.

2-3 Great Northern Divers in the last few days in Austria. Also huge influx of Black-throated Divers (usualy it's a regular but uncommon winter guest). On sunday there were 750+ individuals on Lake Traun (Traunsee) and 300+ on nearby Lake Atter (Attersee). Previous record was 380 individuals in 2015 (also on Lake Traun).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back