• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Do all birds eat peanuts? (1 Viewer)

MobiusX

I don't know why but all of this time I thought peanuts was toxic to birds. I saw Kaytee waste free bird see blend and it includes peanuts. Does this mean peanuts is 100% safe for all birds? This is a list of all of the ingredients. Is all of it 100% safe for birds?

Hulled Sunflower, Cracked Corn, Millet, Canary Grass Seed, Peanuts, Calcium Carbonate.

Peanuts are not eaten by all birds.

However, if bought from a reputable company and produced for birds, then peanuts are safe for birds who do eat them. They are not toxic.

I have seen concerns expressed about adult birds and nestlings choking on whole peanuts and the advice is to ensure that peanuts are in a cage so the it is impossible to remove a whole nut. Whether exaggerated I don't know, but best to be on the safe side.

At one time there was concern about mould growing on peanuts. It creates aflatoxins which are highly carcinogenic, both in birds and humans. Peanut mould should never be handled, and should be washed off if does get on to human skin.

However, more than 20 years ago the problem was recognised by reputable suppliers of nuts intended as wild bird food. There was publicity about the issue in the press. These days it's unlikely you'd be sold peanuts contaminated with aflatoxin, though it's worth examining nuts for any sign of mould.

One other thing, often said but worth reminding, is to clean feeders regularly. Being the lazy type, I have 2 sets of feeders and put one set in the dishwasher. The high temperatures and dishwasher tablets are pretty effective at sterilizing them. Also store the bought feed somewhere dry to guard against fungus. I imagine most feed contamination is from poor storage rather than the fault of the suppliers.

Buy the best quality peanuts, store in dry containers and feed whole or as nibs during the winter months, high protein and a variety of birds feed on them.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back