• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Does anybody else use 10x70's for birding? (1 Viewer)

wal.s

I purchased a Nikon 10x70 IF SP WF last year, the one that weighs 2.1 kg, not the 1.9 kg version.

I have taken it out birding many times and despite the obvious problems of weight and IF, i actually don't mind it as birding binocular. Depends on what I am doing, I know alternate between the Nikon and a 10x42 roof. I find the colour rendition, and depth of field on the Nikon excellent. When the IF is focussed properly, the colours on birds is top notch.

I am wondering whether I am alone on this one or whether anybody else uses 10x70's. Is there is a secret following of people who enjoy large binos for birding?

Probably. There is absolutely no optical advantage with ANY 10x70mm binocular, even over a 10x32mm binocular for birding. Especially one with a 25m close focus!

That may be so but i notice a difference, specially in shadows, be it sunny or overcast. I use them because I derive a benefit, so to me there is some advantage. 25m not this model, it is actually more like 12m or so, but granted, unacceptable up close.

I knew I was going to get smashed the moment I brought this topic up. There are too many negatives.... The interesting thing is that people that have looked through the 10x70's love the view too. I wonder whether other birders who have actually used 10x70's in the field arrive at the same conclusion. If there are none, well there a none other than me.

Hmm, 25m close focus according to the specs. Not slamming you for your choice. Any optical aid that lets you see more is better than nothing. I've owned several samples of the Nikon 10x70 SP and Fujinon 10x70 FMT and they are exceptional binoculars for astronomy and marine use. I've even looked at birds with them too. But nothing about their view would compel me to choose them over even the relatively inexpensive 42-50mm optics in your sig for dedicated birding given a choice.

Hmm, 25m close focus according to the specs. Not slamming you for your choice. Any optical aid that lets you see more is better than nothing. I've owned several samples of the Nikon 10x70 SP and Fujinon 10x70 FMT and they are exceptional binoculars for astronomy and marine use. I've even looked at birds with them too. But nothing about their view would compel me to choose them over even the relatively inexpensive 42-50mm optics in your sig for dedicated birding given a choice.

Whoa!

Nikon may state 25m on their website but I also have a set of the 10x70 SPs and the close focus is certainly around what Wal says, ie. about 12m (note that I just checked and measured the distance in my back yard!). I would also argue that they are optically better than many mid-range binos, so, if you've got them, why not use them (taking account of their size and individual focus)?

Andrew

Maybe not a 10x70 but I do use my Fujinon 7x50 quite often. Same deal, IF and heavy as all get out. Can't look at bugs up close and personal but that's not my intention. They excel in lower light situations. Plus they're just plain awesome!

I have not used the 10x70, but agree that a Fujinon FMT with a 7mm (I'm another 7x50 user here) exit pupil is one badassd binocular. I have not seen anything like it. My 8x42 Zeiss FL is mighty sweet, and better in the color fringe department, but does not match it in knockdown power.

There is this theory running around, (first articulated by Henry Link) that in bright light when the eye pupil shrinks to 2.5mm, the "wasted glass effect" increases the effective focal length of the optic to about f/12, a quite superb low powered telescope that. Also, scattered light effects, or "glare", which appears as bright regions surrounding the exit pupil, are safely away from the eye's pupil. Judging from the performance of my 7x50, I can believe there must be something to it. And of course in low light, the advantage is obvious.

Not to say, you aren't completely crazy. You must get some pretty weird looks from other birders! They must ask not, "see anything interesting?"(standard greeting in USA), but "where's the star party?". But you are not imagining things either. Might want to tape your wrists.
Ron

Big glass has its own charms in terms of image quality, as ronh has so helpfully explained. Weight is not an issue given a decent harness. In fact, I'd be thrilled if Canon decided to offer a 12x56 ISL big brother to their outstanding 10x42ISL.
However, IF is a drag, because it is hard to adjust both eyepieces in concert if the bird shifts around.
For hawk watch or pelagics though, that might not much matter.
In terms of any reaction from other birders, not much would be my $0.02. There are enough veteran birders wandering around NYC Central Park with two full sized glasses, one usually a 7x42 and the other a 15x50 or similar that someone with a big glass would not draw a second glance.

I had a feeling there would have been others. :). Andrew, Rohn and the rest of you thanks for your input. I don't feel like a lepper/weirdo as strongly as before....

I don't feel like a lepper/weirdo as strongly as before....

No need to do this. If someone does ask you why you're using these, you could answer this is because its 18x70 counterpart is more difficult to hold steady...

I know the 10x70 Fujinon FMT-SX and I like them. Almost no CA, better ER than the 16x70 and last but not least easy to hold.

Steve

No need to do this. If someone does ask you why you're using these, you could answer this is because its 18x70 counterpart is more difficult to hold steady...

I know the 10x70 Fujinon FMT-SX and I like them. Almost no CA, better ER than the 16x70 and last but not least easy to hold.

Steve

Thanks Steve. I wasn't serious about the wierdo comment, it was tongue in cheek. You are right about being easy to hold. With these I can follow raptors quite easily, less shake and hardly any CA. They are a good exercise tool, keeping those arms taught trim and terrific.

the 10x70 reminded me of the equipment that the late "amateur", L. Kilham used when doing his bird behavior studies. He wrote that he used two binoculars. An 8x40 and an 11x80. The latter was, he wrote "high power" for distance, nests, etc. He wrote that he preferred that view to a scope.

Hi Horukuru,

No I don't normally take a tripod. I do take a carbon fiber monopod with a slik ball head when i set out to watch raptors for a while, otherwise i just take the binos themselves.

Hello Wal's:
Many, many years ago we had Nikon 10x70's issued for specialized surveillance, used a window mount in a SUV.
Much younger and stronger then.
We were looking at "jail birds" then.
Wonder how they would work for owl spotting at dawn and dusk?
Good birding.
Art

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back