• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Does anyone remember Thurlow Craig? (1 Viewer)

Bea

Reading about Maurice's unusual Raven visitors reminded me of a man who used to write a column in the Sunday Express, Thurlow Craig. It was a long time since, maybe the late 60's, and certainly in the days when the paper was still a broadsheet.

He lived in Wales and used to feed cow's heads to Ravens, Buzzards and Red Kites in a field he called Golgotha (The Place of Skulls). I always made a point of reading his column, he was a real country man.

It's strange how reading about Ravens and sheep's eyeballs brought this to mind after all this time. I wonder if anyone else remembers him. His column was called "Up Country".

I do remember the name, Bea, but that's about as far as it goes I'm afraid. I wasn't in to nature so much in those days, so probably wouldn't have read the column even if my parents had that paper...and that I can't remember!

Excellent bit of detective work there, Pam!

Sorry Bea, I don't know the name and think it would have been before I started to read newspapers.

Hi Bea,

Yes, that one I do remember. D always took the Express and Sunday Express and 'Up Country' was a column that I used to look for.

Pam, scanning through that article it looks as though that one is his son.

Bill

Hi Bea,

Yes, that one I do remember. D always took the Express and Sunday Express and 'Up Country' was a column that I used to look for.

Pam, scanning through that article it looks as though that one is his son.

Bill

Yes, you are correct, Bill!
I have just found this regarding a book by Charles Thurlow Craig.

Craig, Thurlow A Countryman's Year
London Souvenir Press 1988 028562864x / 9780285628649 First Edition Hard Cover Fine Fine 8vo - over 7¾" - 9¾" tall
A Fine uninscribed copy with Fine complete dustjacket. The author (1902-1985) enchanted readers for nearly thirty years with his weekly newspaper column 'Up Country' for the Sunday Express in which he described the life in and around his remote cottage in the Welsh hills. It was a record of the changing seasons and of the animals and birds that shared his cottage and it's surroundings and this book brings together articles from the last five years of his life, edited to form a coherent picture of his life over a single year. A fitting tribute to a man who brought a breath of fresh air to millions of city dwellers.

Hi All

Wendy, you've more than made up for your lack of interest at that time.

Bill, I'm pleased you remember him and, like me, enjoyed his column.

Kits, not suprising as you would have been "nobbut a bairn" at that time. (Thats Yorkshire for only a child!).

Pam, a very interesting link about his son and I'd like to get my hands on the book. Did you find it on THAT auction site or the site that deals mainly in books? ( I don't know if I'm allowed to mention names). I could always try the library I supose, I'd love to read it.

Thanks for all your comments.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back