• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Dorset birding (3 Viewers)

Quiet in here lately. Is it because the summer lull has started, the crap weather or both?!

Anyone know if nightjars are still churring this time of year? Not been out to look for any yet this year. :(

Anyone know if nightjars are still churring this time of year? Not been out to look for any yet this year. :(

Yes! Just back from hearing one on Hengistbury (the first time this "summer" that a still, dry evening has coincided with my being able to go out at dusk).

Quiet in here lately. Is it because the summer lull has started, the crap weather or both?!

Went on a Nightjar Walk on thursday to Holt Heath - nightjars all around and particularly thrilled to get a private display with wing clapping in the car park! Whitesheet Plantation is definitely worth a visit.

returning home to West Moors from Kenya next month . Hope the weather brightens a bit . Have been on the Heath many times with not much luck What kind of time in the evening did you see/hear the night jars /

Mike D in Nairobi

Went on a Nightjar Walk on thursday to Holt Heath - nightjars all around and particularly thrilled to get a private display with wing clapping in the car park! Whitesheet Plantation is definitely worth a visit.

A strange young crow in my garden, it has white bands running through it's wings

Your bird is a partial leucistic individual. This is due to abnormal melanin deposition in the feathers. It is not uncommon in crows and frequently appears as a pale or white stripe extending the length of the wing. They can look very startling.

Your bird is a partial leucistic individual. This is due to abnormal melanin deposition in the feathers. It is not uncommon in crows and frequently appears as a pale or white stripe extending the length of the wing. They can look very startling.

Flemingo, where have been for the last two years? longham has missed you.. Chris

Flemingo, where have been for the last two years? longham has missed you.. Chris

In the wilderness. Did I miss anything?

Little wander around the lakes at Longham. Only birds of note being a couple of common terns which I understand are uncommon at the site, common sandpiper and a nice view of a whitethroat. Bit quiet.

Last edited:
Thanks David, thats exactly what it looks like, very striking, cheers;)

Upton Heath, early Morning walk, 1 Hobby, 3 Dartford Warblers, 2 Raven, a party of Crossbill, a mixed party of Goldfinch and Siskin and parent Blackcaps feeding young.

Last edited:
Longham, wednesday

Two common tern and two common sandpiper.
Sadly no common scoter, common pratincoles, common nighthawks or even common gulls.
Chris

My first Firecrest ever sighted this evening in the back garden! Darting hither and thither around the pool, looking in, then up and away into the trees, back to the pool then up and away again. His golden crown looked almost luminous in the dusk. Very pronounced eye stripe. Never still.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back