• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Dorset birding (1 Viewer)

A trip report from today copied over from the Young Birder thread:

Early morning walk brought a stunning hobby hunting on the cliffs by the back of Lulworth Cove, along with various chats and linnets in the gorse nearby. Not very much on the sea, apart from commuting gannets: seawatching in the shadow of Portland Bill is never a heartening experience!

A later trip to Brownsea island really brought home the bacon, i.e. nesting roseate terns! A real bogey after my aborted missions to Coquet island finally gave itself up, sitting on a sandbar in the lagoon. Plenty of common and sandwich terns as well, giving mesmerising scope views. At least 9 green woodies on the island, happily including to juvs. Tons of red squizzels as well.

The jewel in the crown even considering the rarity of nesting roseates was the chick of the first nesting yellow-legged gulls in Britain ever ever ever, another lifer!

"I have been told it breeds nearby but was not succesfull this year".---Was my posting re yellow Leg HG. When i went there a few weeks back this was the info i had from a DWT volunteer. Thats brilliant that it has now succesefully bred and hopefully the chick will not be predated upon.I believe it is the only place in the UK that they breed ,or as i would prefer-found breeding. I will have to pay another visit this week-end .I see the Osprey is still about .

Got a day off friday, might head to Arne again. Only did the Heath part last time.

Does anyone know anywhere I could go to try and get a photo of a kingfisher?

Thanks

Bren:t:

Yesterday's trip report (also copied from the Young Birder thread):

Early morning seawatch in Lulworth produced 3 bonxie-ish birds harassing the gulls, but too far away to positively ID. Groan.

Trip to Lodmoor brought the usual nesting terns etc. as you might expect. Female marsh harrier was a nice addition.

Finally, spent rest of the day at Portland Bill. Got a tantalising view of four probable Balearic shearwaters flying past the bill, but not wanting to be a "teen stringa innit" since I could not absolutely rule out manxie or sootie due to the poor views it remains unticked. Groan. Otherwise the seawatching on the bill was relatively poor, with lots of gannets but no other shearwaters except the probable Balearics and a few fulmars.

Today's trip report:

...later trip to Durlston Head was a major success however. An hour's seawatching brought loads of Gannet but no shearwaters, even though manxie and balearic-cy had been reported. However, I annihilated an ultra-mega-bogey (which sounds like something a young kid might do with its finger somewhere unpleasant): lesser whitethroat!!! Thank god for that-I've had so many singing birds that have subsequently remained out of view.

Also had a Whimbrel on the top of the cliffs, green woodpecker, probable hobby, tons of stonechat etc.

I really fancy a seawatch tommorow.....

Is it possible to seawatch during mid day and get good results? Which way should the wind be blowing to maximise chances? should i try Durlston or Hengisbury head? any basic tips for a good seawatch? am i asking too many questions?;)

Hi TJ

It's all quite logical really - onshore winds are best for blowing birds closer in; poor visibility is also good as moving birds tend to follow the coastline. Heavy rain tends to make birds rest up on the sea, so not good for observation, but squally showers can be excellent, as birds move during the breaks in the weather but get driven in close during the squalls. Movement can occur throughout the day, but mornings tend to be better (although this could be a result of more observer effort early on).

I have to be honest - although Hengistbury turns up good seabird passage on occasion, it's never going to be as good as Portland (or Durlston) - Poole/Bournemouth Bay is a shelter in poor weather for birds moving along the Channel, and occasional off-passage birds, but some/most birds will pass straight across from the Purbecks to the IOW.

Forecast looks good for seawatching for the next few days, so worth a try - just don't expect too much.....

Hi TJ

It's all quite logical really - onshore winds are best for blowing birds closer in; poor visibility is also good as moving birds tend to follow the coastline. Heavy rain tends to make birds rest up on the sea, so not good for observation, but squally showers can be excellent, as birds move during the breaks in the weather but get driven in close during the squalls. Movement can occur throughout the day, but mornings tend to be better (although this could be a result of more observer effort early on).

I have to be honest - although Hengistbury turns up good seabird passage on occasion, it's never going to be as good as Portland (or Durlston) - Poole/Bournemouth Bay is a shelter in poor weather for birds moving along the Channel, and occasional off-passage birds, but some/most birds will pass straight across from the Purbecks to the IOW.

Forecast looks good for seawatching for the next few days, so worth a try - just don't expect too much.....

Cheers MSA, I think if my aunt agrees, i will try Durlston. Looking out the window its not raining and visilbility aint great, so thats good. Do you know anywhere on Durlston which is a good seawatching spot?

Got a day off friday, might head to Arne again. Only did the Heath part last time.

Does anyone know anywhere I could go to try and get a photo of a kingfisher?

Thanks

Bren:t:

Places I see Kingfisher are the sections of the Stour behind the Bridgehouse hotel at Longham. Access the golfcourse side from the rear of the Bridgehouse carpark. If you see anyone who has been fishing there all day they can usually say if there is one about.

Also the section of the Stour at Cowgrove Road, Wimborne. Drive along the road about 3/4 mile and on the left there is a small carpark. This stretch is well kept by the National Trust and is free to park and walk. I've seen up to 4 Kingfisher at a time here and one nesting in the river bank last year.

Paul.

Today's trip report:

Day 5.

Early morning seawatching by Lulworth brought some scoters of indeterminate species bombing past the cove.

Later trip to Arne RSPB was fairly slow. Quite a few godwits, knot etc. in the inlets, but no Dartford Warblers or the reported osprey, and there were lashings of the freezing drizzly rain that just makes you want to kill yourself so we didn't stay long.

Finally, a trip to St. Aldhelm's Head brought some nice passerine birds in the scrub, plus two hobbies scything through the assembled swifts, but seawatching brought little outside gannets.

tjbirdofprey said:
Is it possible to seawatch during mid day and get good results? Which way should the wind be blowing to maximise chances? should i try Durlston or Hengisbury head? any basic tips for a good seawatch? am i asking too many questions?

I find that I get best results when I am as close to sea level as possible, maximising my chances of seeing the birds above the waterline and also the area of sea within one scope field of view. For example, at Durlston try the area below the globe sculpture, which is also sheltered on the right hand side by vegetation.

Although get ready for long periods of boredom if seawatching somewhere like Durlston. I spent an hour there and had very little.

I find that I get best results when I am as close to sea level as possible, maximising my chances of seeing the birds above the waterline and also the area of sea within one scope field of view. For example, at Durlston try the area below the globe sculpture, which is also sheltered on the right hand side by vegetation.

Although get ready for long periods of boredom if seawatching somewhere like Durlston. I spent an hour there and had very little.

cheers Colonel, see my other post on the YNG birder thread. Today i went to Durlston for a seawatch, which produced my first ever Manx shearwater and a probable Balearic! Also managed to see the Osprey at Middlebere ( views very good as no heat blur for once! ). Nearly had a heart attack aswell when a Wader flew in looking very like a yellowlegs. Turned out it was a Greenshank giving a very good immpression of one3:)

Places I see Kingfisher are the sections of the Stour behind the Bridgehouse hotel at Longham. Access the golfcourse side from the rear of the Bridgehouse carpark. If you see anyone who has been fishing there all day they can usually say if there is one about.

Also the section of the Stour at Cowgrove Road, Wimborne. Drive along the road about 3/4 mile and on the left there is a small carpark. This stretch is well kept by the National Trust and is free to park and walk. I've seen up to 4 Kingfisher at a time here and one nesting in the river bank last year.

Paul.

Cheers Paul:t:

Hey, wheres SC gone and the rest of the regulars?:-C

The curse of work for me - end of month deadlines!

Saw the first returning Wheatear yesterday morning, and the foxes are back, with another litter, which may explain their low profile of late. Some of the previous litter have definitely returned to their maker (more remains found a few days ago) but with two adults, three cubs and two others (probably youngsters, less than a year old, going by size) in one field yesterday, I doubt the area could support many more.

This morning on Stanpit others saw single Curlew Sand, Wood and Green Sandpiper, plus 2 Garganey, so things are livening up.

Just got back into town after family holiday in France. lots of good birds too.
might look for quail at tarrant rushton tomorrow or go to arne, if the rain ever stops

Longham lake, Sunday Aug 2

Quiet at the lake. Large flock of starlings and a flyover little egret plus mallard, tufted ducks and grebes. AS few young black headed gulls.
Lots of painted ladies on the thistles. The site itself is looking very well looked after, nice areas of mown grass and lots of rough areas too. Time for the birds to come back. One Canada goose was something of a rarity on the water.
Then I felt a spot of rain and I went home.
Chris

A late afternoon visit produced a better showing of swifts and hirundines plus a swan with broken wing.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back