• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Dorset birding (2 Viewers)

Slavonian grebe still at Longham at lunchtime. Whitethroats singing.

Was that you I passed lunchtime? I just logged on to say the Slav was still present at lunchtime and you seemed to have beaten me to it. Do you wear a wide brimmed hat? If so you are nothing like your photo! Also Common sandpiper, White wagtail and one Med gull. Like what they have done to the site. Be quite good once the vegetation grows a bit.

Last edited:
Was that you I passed lunchtime? I just logged on to say the Slav was still present at lunchtime and you seemed to have beaten me to it. Do you wear a wide brimmed hat? If so you are nothing like your photo! Also Common sandpiper, White wagtail and one Med gull. Like what they have done to the site. Be quite good once the vegetation grows a bit.

I do have a floppy hat, but there was another (slightly chinese-looking) guy walking round with a spectacular wide-brimmed hat so I don't think you saw me!
Chris

I do have a floppy hat, but there was another (slightly chinese-looking) guy walking round with a spectacular wide-brimmed hat so I don't think you saw me!
Chris

I was wearing a wide brimmed hat myself but not what I would consider spectacular. Although I have been noted as having slightly oriental features myself the other guy I passed had a wider brimmed hat than mine so I presume that was your chinese guy! One day I will add you to my list.

I was wearing a wide brimmed hat myself but not what I would consider spectacular. Although I have been noted as having slightly oriental features myself the other guy I passed had a wider brimmed hat than mine so I presume that was your chinese guy! One day I will add you to my list.

Now I see your picture I think you might be the slightly chinese looking guy I was talking about! I'll know you next time.

longham lake today

Lots of warblers in a 20 minute dash today - garden (being chased by whitethroat), reed, sedge, willow and chiffchaff. Didn't have time to walk very far, but couldn't spot the slavonian grebe while I was there.

Every intention of popping to Longham today but work got in the way.
First swift yesterday over Ferndown.
Couple of times now I've caught a GS woodpecker drumming on the plastic junction boxes on telephone poles in Ferndown. Good resonance. anyone else observed this?

Longham lake today

Nice whimbrel at Longham today, plus common sandpiper and slavonian grebe. Several swifts too.

Attachments

• whimbrel.jpg
    whimbrel.jpg
    203.6 KB · Views: 61
  • commonsand.jpg
    commonsand.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 56
Nice whimbrel at Longham today, plus common sandpiper and slavonian grebe. Several swifts too.

Done it again haven''t you! Missed the Common sandpiper but good views of Whimbrel. Lots of hirundines (all 3 ) and swifts.
Also Yellow wagtail which had eluded me all last year.
Pair of Hobbies mating on the pylon far end of the big lake

reports of four ringed plovers at Longham Lake today - i think that's only the secons site record - will check it out this afternoon

reports of four ringed plovers at Longham Lake today - i think that's only the secons site record - will check it out this afternoon

4, possibly 5 ringed plover and 2 Little ringed plover 9.00 am.
Also 1, possibly 2 Hobbies. 1 Common sandpiper. Slav still present.
Report of 2 Whimbrel.
Loads of swifts. Fantastic to hear the wind whistle as they sliced past close to my head!
Whimbrel on the little lake at Hengistbury head later while out with the family.

Longham lake today

Here's a record shot of 2 of the 4 ringed plovers. Also whimbrel showing well tonight

Attachments

• ringplos.jpg
    ringplos.jpg
    202.7 KB · Views: 63
  • newwhim.jpg
    newwhim.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 53
2 Dippers on the Lym at Lyme regis. Both carrying mouthfuls of insects so suppose chicks nearby. Brilliant views. Twice failed to add them to my Dorset list last year so really pleased. Also Grey wagtail.

dipping dippers

2 Dippers on the Lym at Lyme regis. Both carrying mouthfuls of insects so suppose chicks nearby. Brilliant views. Twice failed to add them to my Dorset list last year so really pleased. Also Grey wagtail.

I did a day trip for them last year - didn't see them and still need dipper for a dorset list. Did have a great breakfast in a little cafe near the town, on the edge of the river! Made the trip worthwhile!!!

I did a day trip for them last year - didn't see them and still need dipper for a dorset list. Did have a great breakfast in a little cafe near the town, on the edge of the river! Made the trip worthwhile!!!

Family were camping o/n and it was freeeeeezing! As I saw them twice in the same place both times with food in their beaks now might be a good time to try as they must have chicks nearby. I'll pm you the place if you're interested.

Hi guys,
hope you don't mind if I butt in. Where's the best place to park for longham lakes?

Also which lake is the Slav usually on if still there?

Saw 7 drake Mandarin and a Wood duck at Eyeworth pond near Fritham yesterday.

cheers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back