• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Dorset birding (1 Viewer)

Thanks, Chris.

Yes, I've tried on OE and get a similar message and also on my laptop which goes through the same router and has the same security.

With some help on another forum, it's been suggested that it could be an ISP issue rather than my computer or security and that it might solve itself! As it's not exactly key to my life, I shall wait to see what happens!

No doubt, if there is anything very interesting there, it will appear on here too, so no great loss, just a nuisance.

PBO access

I'm using firefox on Bt and Portland works fine for me. Have you tried a different browser?
Chris

Hi Chris

Following on from feedback to Wendy. I am using Firefox and like Paul have also tried IE and Chrome. None work but my ISP is Sky (interested to note you use BT) and I suspect something may be going on there. Have asked Wendy for other forum info to follow up and going to check Sky forums.

Really must get back to Longham now BBS is finished.

All the best

Ray

PS have resolved my problem! Appears McAfee set PBO IP Address to blocked in NET GUARD section of firewall without me knowing!!

Ray

Last edited:
Hi Hen Harrier Here I'm Coming Down For A Holiday In Dorset With My Wife, We Intend To Visit Arne Is There Much Chance Of Seeing A Dartford Warbler, Or A Late Hobby Perhaps. Maybe You Could Give Us Some Ideas About Arne Or Any Other Site As We Have Not Been To This Neck Of The Woods Before. Thanks In Antisipation For Any Ideas Coming Down 12th September For A Week.

Hi Hen Harrier Here I'm Coming Down For A Holiday In Dorset With My Wife, We Intend To Visit Arne Is There Much Chance Of Seeing A Dartford Warbler, Or A Late Hobby Perhaps. Maybe You Could Give Us Some Ideas About Arne Or Any Other Site As We Have Not Been To This Neck Of The Woods Before. Thanks In Antisipation For Any Ideas Coming Down 12th September For A Week.

There's good chance of dartfords and hobby still at arne, and maybe osprey too. Go through Wareham and turn left after the pub to get to the car park. The wardens are great and should be able to help you out.
If you have a day to go to Weymouth then Radipole Lake and Lodmoor are good too, for waders and gulls.
Also Durlston Country Park, at Swanage is a nice spot for a walk and to see migrants.
Have a great visit.
Chris

Decided to brave the conditions and have a look at Longham Lakes this morning. Rewarded by 1, then 2 juvenile Arctic Terns, which constitute the first record for the site. Still there at 1pm.

caught up with on of todays Sabs Gulls. Pics on my blog www.welshbirderindorset.blogspot.com

Apparently Little Gull and 4 Arctic tern at Radipole this evening but when I got there none of those was to be seen. about 180 Yellow Wags roosted. Also earlier in the day 2 barwits with the small Black tailed Godwit flock at the North hide along with a brief Little Stint at Lunchtime.

Longham Lakes 7 Sept 2011

Visit for a couple of hours this morning.
2 Juv Arctic Tern hunting off the West shore of the large lake.
Plenty of Sand and House Martins feeding over the water.
Maybe as many as 10 Chiffchaff along the hedges, also 1 Whitethroat. 3 Reed Warblers still hanging about. 1 Yellow Wagtail flew over calling and heading west (to join the cows in the Hampreston fields?).
Sparrowhawk being mobbed by Corvids and the finale a Juv Hobby hunting over the East shore just as we were leaving.

Also spotted, at last, a Chris Parnell. Nice to have met and chatted Chris.

Ray and Pat

Longham Lakes 7 Sept 2011

Visit for a couple of hours this morning.
2 Juv Arctic Tern hunting off the West shore of the large lake.
Plenty of Sand and House Martins feeding over the water.
Maybe as many as 10 Chiffchaff along the hedges, also 1 Whitethroat. 3 Reed Warblers still hanging about. 1 Yellow Wagtail flew over calling and heading west (to join the cows in the Hampreston fields?).
Sparrowhawk being mobbed by Corvids and the finale a Juv Hobby hunting over the East shore just as we were leaving.

Also spotted, at last, a Chris Parnell. Nice to have met and chatted Chris.

Ray and Pat

Good to tick you two off too!
Chris

Longham, this evening

No much to write about, several teal and a pochard were new and lots of martins, but no migrants and no raptors
Chris

Hi Chris. I've Just Checked This Web Site This Morning. I Thank You Very Much For Taking The Time And Trouble To Answer My Question. As It Happens I've Since Found Out That On Wednesday The 14th September Theres A Wardens Guided Walk 10:00 Till 12:00 At Arne. Now That I Know Dartfords And A Possible Hobby And Osprey Could Be There We'll Make A Bee Line For That.
Thanks Again, We'll Let You Know What We See Chris. Hen Harrier.

And the barnacle goose

We are about to release an injured Red Kite in the Verwood area, Wessex Bird of Prey Rescue have had this bird for approx 8 weeks. It was recovered by a fisherman after being attacked by Herring Gulls in Mudeford (between Bournemouth and Christchurch) unfortuantly the whole tail was broken on recovery. We would normally have repaired the tail by 'Imping' a new one in but a lack of Kite feathers meant we had to force her into a false moult. We would normally release where found but in this case due to the aggressive Gulls in the area we are going to release her in Verwood as we have seen a few flitting around, hope to get some release photo's and will put them on later.
jon
wessex bird of prey rescue

Just got a text about 2 Buff breasted Sand just outside of Weymouth about 1 km east of White Nothe. They were last seen 150m NNW of trip point at SY783812

We are about to release an injured Red Kite in the Verwood area, Wessex Bird of Prey Rescue have had this bird for approx 8 weeks. It was recovered by a fisherman after being attacked by Herring Gulls in Mudeford (between Bournemouth and Christchurch) unfortuantly the whole tail was broken on recovery. We would normally have repaired the tail by 'Imping' a new one in but a lack of Kite feathers meant we had to force her into a false moult. We would normally release where found but in this case due to the aggressive Gulls in the area we are going to release her in Verwood as we have seen a few flitting around, hope to get some release photo's and will put them on later.
jon
wessex bird of prey rescue

Pictures in the Daily Echo tomorrow (Wednesday).

'Terri explained: “They will keep banging them on the head while they are in flight, then get them onto the ground where they peck them in their heads.”

That made me laugh! What a load of rubbish.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back