• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Downland Destruction (1 Viewer)

Original PaulE

United Kingdom
Went for a walk on the Sussex Downs, between Steyning and Sompting, nice to have some Blue Skies after what seems weeks of rain, ironically been raining since they announced the hosepipe ban!! I was sad to see a large area of scrub has been levelled, this area was full of birds in the spring, an area approximately 30 yards wide and over half mile long has been removed. Not sure if this was for "conservation" or just a farmer doing his thing, but was surely an important breeding area for hard pressed farmland birds. Report and a few pics, on the blog, although the birds seemed reluctant to pose today!

i do enjoy your blog and its a shame about the scrub habitat destroyed, back in august we had a campervan trip to sussex to the boy and his girl in brighton and stayed by telscombe down, birding the yes scruffy scrub it was great birding and enjoyed a wryneck and a few chiffchaffs plus corn bunting great little area with lots of access for looking

hopefully the scrub will grow back

i do enjoy your blog and its a shame about the scrub habitat destroyed, back in august we had a campervan trip to sussex to the boy and his girl in brighton and stayed by telscombe down, birding the yes scruffy scrub it was great birding and enjoyed a wryneck and a few chiffchaffs plus corn bunting great little area with lots of access for looking

hopefully the scrub will grow back
Hopefully more interested as to why it was removed, the slope is very steep so not much use for farming. Perhaps its a conservation measure? It was well established with quite old bushes so been there a few years.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back