• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Dozens of Clouded Yellows (1 Viewer)

clouded yellow years

Hi, if you read the books, eg Thomas etc, influxes involving clouds of 1000s in off the sea have occurred. They rapidly head inland and disperse to look for suitable breeding sites, eg fields rich in clover. I think 2009 was a good year, but not a "clouded yellow year". Locally we have had records of small groups, 5 to 20, similar on the south coast I think. Hopefully it might pick up!

Thank you, Roo.

Although I own several books on British butterflies, those by that author have, so far, eluded me.

Naughtily, I tend not to read the beginnings to such things, mainly using them for ID purposes. A good suggestion, which I will first pursue in the ones I do possess.

Thank you, Roo.

Although I own several books on British butterflies, those by that author have, so far, eluded me.

Naughtily, I tend not to read the beginnings to such things, mainly using them for ID purposes. A good suggestion, which I will first pursue in the ones I do possess.

I've got dozens of British butterfly books but the best read is is the Butterflies of Britain +Ireland by Jeremy Thomas + the superb work of Richard Lewington. Think a new updated version is imminent- treat yourself-you won't be disappointed. So much great information in an easily readable format. Too bulky as a field guide but superb reference work.

Hi John.

I have recently bought atlases of Suffolk for butterflies, dragonflies and orchids (all reduced to £5 plus p&p from Suffolk naturalists society website) and the butterfly atlas includes a count of 200 Clouded Yellows from Oxley Marshes in 2000. I would suspect the south coast would have counts higher than that.

Regards,
James

Here in remotest north Norfolk, a bonanza of Clouded Yellows has occurred: http://www.birdforum.net/showpost.php?p=3046430&postcount=1794

Having had no response on the relevant local thread, I wondered (not knowing) about the kind of numbers which would constitute some kind of record- anywhere in the UK.

Have there been more, in other words, in one place in the past ?

Many thanks.

clouded yellows and books

The Thomas and Lewington book is superb. I have the 1st 2 eds will be getting the latest (already out) for Christmas. Its pretty up to date r.e. distributions, and includes Cryptic wood white. Clouded yellow numbers seem to be increasy, I had one today in the local garden centre! However I'd call it a good year so far, gut way off a proper CY year. Largest group I've heard of was 25. Off to the south coast in a few days, fingers crossed for some more down there!

A quote (the observation made during the Second World War) from the book says it all: “. . . military observers saw them approach the coast in the form of a great golden ball, which they thought at first to be a cloud of poison gas”.

This knocks my figure of 30 into a cocked hat. Would that we could see something like that.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back