• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Duck ID and age/sex, Warwickshire (1 Viewer)

Matt Griffiths

ad. ♂ Blackcap
Could anyone confirm the ID of this duck, which was photographed at Earlswood Lakes, Warwickshire in 2008 and seems to be a Smew? The only thing that puzzles me a bit is the bill, which is very pale and perhaps a bit big, but I don't have much experience with Smew. I'm also interested in people's thoughts about its age/sex - the birder who saw it noticed that there was some white on the wing (visible in pics), so thought eclipse male moulting into breeding plumage. However, could it be a first-winter? I notice that part of the back is particularly dark, and that the white cheek extends upwards behind the eye. Looking forward to people's thoughts.
Matt

Attachments

• DSC_0014.JPG
    DSC_0014.JPG
    66.2 KB · Views: 82
  • DSC_0014a.jpg
    DSC_0014a.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 120
Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back