• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Duck Island Unit, TN: Help please! (1 Viewer)

(I think it best to start new threads each time, if only because it gets complicated to refer to comments to specific photos.)
Of this new batch...
Left looks like greater yellowlegs on bill length, even though it seems a slight-looking bird. The yellowlegs at right is hiding part of its bill, hence I pass.
Least sandpiper (bill with downturn at tip, dirty yellowish legs).
Bill seems too short for dunlin. Maybe western sandpiper.
Agree with Butty on starting new threads for new birds, even from same location.

I thought both yellowlegs were Lesser, especially the left bird based on the thin-based bill (I thought it within reason for Lesser on length). All the peeps look like colorful juvenile Leasts to me.

These were all from the same visit last weekend, hence posting in the same thread. Not different instances.
I see your logic - but that's really academic from the point of view of people who are helping you by giving comments. There needs to be a practical arrangement so that commenters can relate their comments to the relevant photos. Someone could now, quite validly, post comments that relate to some of your earlier photos - but there's now no clear unambiguous way to refer to those specific photos.

I see your logic - but that's really academic from the point of view of people who are helping you by giving comments. There needs to be a practical arrangement so that commenters can relate their comments to the relevant photos. Someone could now, quite validly, post comments that relate to some of your earlier photos - but there's now no clear unambiguous way to refer to those specific photos.
yes there is.....its called a quote, or a direct reply.....not trying to be combative but, thats literally the point of those options.

So you finish up with replies to multiple sets of photos all mixed up randomly within one thread. When you could, instead, have them not mixed up - simply by creating separate threads.

So you finish up with replies to multiple sets of photos all mixed up randomly within one thread. When you could, instead, have them not mixed up - simply by creating separate threads.
I think youre overcomplicating it. I post photos in one post of the same bird/birds. They arent jumbled up. So when those who are kindly helping with identification reply, they reply to each photo, or set of photos, but are all of the same bird. i dont see how thats difficult

The only issue here is that they werent all posted at the same time. There was zero complaint the first night I posted multiple sets. The issue is the rest were delayed by a few days. But theyre still from the same trip.

OK. You've ignored a crucial point I made just above, so it's best we leave it there. Actually two points. But never mind.
What you're doing is certainly not the convention in this forum, but I'm merely giving you my view - others may differ.

If im the one who is gaining the information from the thread primarily, then if it isn't confusing or "mixed up" to me, why does it matter? And if its a convention, ok understood, but if there isn't a rule against it, what's the problem? Different people's brains work differently. To me it makes complete sense. Again, im really not trying to be difficult. I dont see the issue at all.

To me its annoying to have all new threads for each different potential bird type, or to even have multiple bird types in one post in one thread knowingly.

If im the one who is gaining the information from the thread primarily, then if it isn't confusing or "mixed up" to me, why does it matter?
I'm a little shocked by that, as I fear you mistake the purpose (as I personally see it anyway) of this forum. It's a place where all people enjoy contributing - and where all people come to learn (I certainly learn a lot). It's not to be seen simply as a free service provided solely for the benefit of people who want IDs for their photos. It's important. therefore (in my personal view) that it functions in a way that is as convenient as possible and as easy-to-use as possible for all contributors - especially for those who are giving their time for free to help others. Again, this is my own personal take on the situation - others may think differently.

I'm a little shocked by that, as I fear you mistake the purpose (as I personally see it anyway) of this forum. It's a place where all people enjoy contributing - and where all people come to learn (I certainly learn a lot). It's not to be seen simply as a free service provided solely for the benefit of people who want IDs for their photos. It's important. therefore (in my personal view) that it functions in a way that is as convenient as possible and as easy-to-use as possible for all contributors - especially for those who are giving their time for free to help others. Again, this is my own personal take on the situation - others may think differently.
Look, im not trying to make any enemies on here. I agree, this is a place for ALL to learn. What I don't agree with is that if my way of learning contradicts yours, that it automatically makes it wrong. If you're point is inclusivity, then shouldn't my apparently abnormal method of learning be accepted? Almost seems like you're contradicting yourself in this whole argument. I am constantly confused by others' posts, the order in which things are answered (often out of order and NOT quoted) but im not trouncing around the boards blasting people for posting in a way thats confusing to me. I just make an effort to look a little harder at how things are posted and figure it out.

You're getting rather aggressive as well as accusing me of expressing an attitude that I'm not expressing and that I don't hold. So we'll leave it there. Thanks.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back