• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Ducks, Blackbirds, and Sparrow (Redding, CA, USA) (1 Viewer)

CalvinFold

Last ones!

This was a great trip for bird photography. Well, I didn't always get the best photos, I did see alot of new species at minimum.

1. Golden-Crowned Sparrow?
  2. Red-Winged Blackbird?
  3. I really don't know.

Attachments

• IDme_GoldenCrownedSparrow.JPG
    IDme_GoldenCrownedSparrow.JPG
    57.7 KB · Views: 41
  • IDme_RedWingedBlackbird.JPG
    IDme_RedWingedBlackbird.JPG
    63.3 KB · Views: 28
  • IDme_Ducks.JPG
    IDme_Ducks.JPG
    71.6 KB · Views: 42
Agree with red-winged blackbird and ring-necks. I think #1 is a golden-crowned, but I'm not especially familiar with that species.

I'd say that #3 are Ring-necked Ducks
Now that you mention it, I believe I had tentatively ID'd it the same while on the road, but couldn't seem to re-find the ID or remember what I had figured it out as once I sat down at the computer to process the photos.

KC Foggin said:
#2 is definitely a Red-winged Blackbird.
I know that was probably pretty obvious, but a curious thing my GF and I have noticed: the SF Bay Area Red-Winged Blackbirds, at least in the East Bay area, don't get as pronounced a yellow strip, if they get one at all; but north in Yreka/Shasta area the yellow stripe is quite striking.

So I sorta "knew" the it was a Red-Winged, I wanted to be sure; y'all surprise me with some bird I never heard of sometimes when I think I have something "obvious." :eek!:

Agree with Golden-crowned Sparrow, Red-winged Blackbird and Ring-necked Ducks.

And with that you have reached your limit of hyphenated birds in one thread.. congrats!

I know that was probably pretty obvious, but a curious thing my GF and I have noticed: the SF Bay Area Red-Winged Blackbirds, at least in the East Bay area, don't get as pronounced a yellow strip, if they get one at all; but north in Yreka/Shasta area the yellow stripe is quite striking.

So I sorta "knew" the it was a Red-Winged, I wanted to be sure; y'all surprise me with some bird I never heard of sometimes when I think I have something "obvious." :eek!:

What you are seeing in the Bay Area are a race of Red-winged Blackbirds that are the common breeding form in much of California, sometimes called "Bicolored Blackbird" because they mostly lack the yellow on the wings. Up in Redding is a form more like that in most of the range of the species with a conspicuous yellow band on the wings.

I presume that the blackbird is not a Tricolored Blackbird, though the angle of the picture and the features visible do not provide anything certain to hand a certain ID on, at least in my experience. The yellow (Red-winged) or white (Tricolored) feathers of the epaulet patch are the median coverts, which can, depending upon the bird's posture, be exposed and visible or not.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back