• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Ducks on Fuerteventura (1 Viewer)

juancar dieguez

Hola, dos anatidas para identificar de hoy 14-12-2023 en fuerteventura, en el club de golf que hay desde hace unos días una Spatula discors..
gracias

Google Translate says...
Hello, two ducks to identify today 12-14-2023 in Fuerteventura, in the golf club that has had a Spatula discors for a few days now.
thank you

Attachments

• DSCN8646.JPG
    DSCN8646.JPG
    27.4 KB · Views: 171
  • DSCN8645.JPG
    DSCN8645.JPG
    19.2 KB · Views: 167
Last edited by a moderator:
Hello Juancar,

do you have more pictures?
I cant add anything confident about your first bird (although it gives a non european impression to me, with a Teal the most similär species, but it isnt one imo....)

Your second bird is a Garganey imo, with a very good classic head pattern and white fringes to the tertials

I think your first thoughts of
1. Teal
2. Garganey
are both on the money Alexander. Transitional Eurasian Teals are highly variable and can certainly look like this coming out of eclipse (pic 1). Structure and dark bill look good to me too. Picture isn't the best but I can't see anything that would make me eliminate Eurasian Teal just yet.
I think the blue impression is a photo artefact-as no duck sp. would have such a large (in relation to its size) patch of blue on the folded wing.

Last edited:
Stretches credulity - given that a) it's such a large and continuous area, b) there's no other artefact in the photo at all comparable to that, c) ducks often do have that sort of colour in that area. I couldn't accept that explanation.
Ducks do indeed often have blue or green in that area, but in this bird it spills over beyond where you'd expect to see the border/boundary in for example a Teal or Mallard. It even runs downwards onto the flank, backwards onto the upper tail coverts, and forwards onto the wing coverts!

It even runs downwards onto the flank, backwards onto the upper tail coverts, and forwards onto the wing coverts!
I find that a misreading of the photo - which is too fuzzy and too generally-low-quality (no offence) to be at all sure what feather-tracts are involved.

On eBird the only images of a claimed Blue-winged Teal I can find are these - https://ebird.org/checklist/S154746851 - which are clearly not correctly identified. And https://ebird.org/checklist/S154113629?_ga=2.20604280.1143691913.1702399814-1092995303.1689690437 - which is

Brian

Interesting Brian, that the bird in the first link - which is surely a Eurasian Teal (or small/outside chance of Green-winged) is also showing a blue speculum.
It's not easy to tell from these images, but I would say this is a female type, yet the one in post #1 would better fit a faded eclipse drake. They often show heavily faded heads, with patchy traces of new blackish growth, as we can see around the eye/ear coverts & lower cheek area (and possibly also around the chin/bill base on this bird?)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back