• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Duovid Optical Construction (1 Viewer)

Thank you, Thotmosis. I am rather sensitive to CA, not overly so, but I think that could spoil it for me. Still, if I could get hold of one for a reasonable price, I'd probably go for it. I'm curious as to how other owners rate their colour correction which is my main concern here.
I would definitely try before you buy. I bought mine 3 years ago used but in mint condition for 1200 euro with 1 year guarantee. I have read some reports that the 'magnification change system' jammed. So it's something to keep in mind when buying, preferable a later unit which is still under guarantee (if transferable at all).

I would definitely try before you buy. I bought mine 3 years ago used but in mint condition for 1200 euro with 1 year guarantee. I have read some reports that the 'magnification change system' jammed. So it's something to keep in mind when buying, preferable a later unit which is still under guarantee (if transferable at all).
Thanks you, Thotmosis. I don't think, I need a pair of these but they seem so attractive. I'd be very happy to handle one one day.

I have always thought of binoculars as magical gadgets. As a kid I believed they could give me real super power, the vision of an eagle or so. The Duovids take it one step further, sporting a "turbo boost" mode. Also, they appear to be a masterpiece of optics and precision engineering. On top of that, they look great.

I have always thought of binoculars as magical gadgets. As a kid I believed they could give me real super power, the vision of an eagle or so. The Duovids take it one step further, sporting a "turbo boost" mode. Also, they appear to be a masterpiece of optics and precision engineering. On top of that, they look great.
I totally agree with you on all facets, again: IMHO I really think they are underrated optical instruments.

I totally agree with you on all facets, again: IMHO I really think they are underrated optical instruments.
They are, were?!
I think they are really out of date now.
I got a pair of Zeiss Victory pocket for close focus, and after comparing with the duovids, sold the duovids.
Fov was similar, Zeiss was brighter, lighter, sharper.
I suspect the view at 12x is so "dull" compared to a newer design at 8x, there really isn't much point these days.

A 2022 version of the duovid would be interesting perhaps

They are, were?!
I think they are really out of date now.
I got a pair of Zeiss Victory pocket for close focus, and after comparing with the duovids, sold the duovids.
Fov was similar, Zeiss was brighter, lighter, sharper.
I suspect the view at 12x is so "dull" compared to a newer design at 8x, there really isn't much point these days.

A 2022 version of the duovid would be interesting perhaps
I think we discussed this before Peter, and then you also mentioned your beautiful Zeiss Victory pockets :).
If you could have only ONE binocular ? (no list). See post#162

Everybody is entitled to their own opinion. I respectfully totally disagree with you in that the Duovids are really out of date now. For me at least they are 100% usable binoculars with no competitors as i can not think of another high quality dual magnification binocular. The fact that there are newer, better binoculars doesnt mean the older ones are out of date. You hear this kind of reasoning a lot on this forum. To me it sounds somewhat spoiled. But as they say horses for courses. Enjoy your Zeiss Victory in goof health ✌️

Last edited:
I think we discussed this before Peter, and then you also mentioned your beautiful Zeiss Victory pockets :).
If you could have only ONE binocular ? (no list). See post#162

Everybody is entitled to their own opinion. I respectfully totally disagree with you in that the Duovids are really out of date now. For me at least they are 100% usable binoculars with no competitors as i can not think of another high quality dual magnification binocular. The fact that there are newer, better binoculars doesnt mean the older ones are out of date. You hear this kind of reasoning a lot on this forum. To me it sounds somewhat spoiled. But as they say horses for courses. Enjoy your Zeiss Victory in goof health ✌️
Just my experience with them
The victory pockets are sold now as well.

The fact that there are newer, better binoculars doesnt mean the older ones are out of date. You hear this kind of reasoning a lot on this forum. To me it sounds somewhat spoiled.
I was looking through my old Leitz binoculars yesterday and noting how they were still enjoyable to use, even though direct comparison with newer Trinovid and Ultravid was so much better.
The existence of newer and better products doesn't negate the usefulness of older ones, particularly when you've got one with no direct competition like the Duovid.

"...I wonder how the x42s compare to other Leica binoculars of more recent production.... My Leicas are a UV HD 10x32, UV HD+ 8x32 and UV HD+ 7x42. Are there any owners who can comment on in what respects they differ from the ones mentioned above? CA for example."
I have the same Leica binos you mention, plus a 42 Duovid. The Duo is a lot of fun, and quite competent for what it is, but a fair comparison with the others will reveal a few shortcomings: eye relief, weight, and FOV just to name a few. The center-field images are fine, but there is noticeable lateral CA at the edge of the field at 12x. Still, it's an intriguing instrument and I'm happy to have it. Hope this helps.

I have the same Leica binos you mention, plus a 42 Duovid. The Duo is a lot of fun, and quite competent for what it is, but a fair comparison with the others will reveal a few shortcomings: eye relief, weight, and FOV just to name a few. The center-field images are fine, but there is noticeable lateral CA at the edge of the field at 12x. Still, it's an intriguing instrument and I'm happy to have it. Hope this helps.
Thank you, John. Much appreciated! I thought there would be noticable CA. Would you say it's more noticable than in the UVHD 10x32?

Thank you, John. Much appreciated! I thought there would be noticable CA. Would you say it's more noticable than in the UVHD 10x32?
Actually, I was surprised by the result when I compared my 42 Duo at 12x and my HD+10x32: the Duo shows less lateral CA in the outermost portion of the field than the 10x32, though of course the 10x32's AOV is larger (67.0* vs. 61.2* [60.7* vs. 56.2* ISO]).

Actually, I was surprised by the result when I compared my 42 Duo at 12x and my HD+10x32: the Duo shows less lateral CA in the outermost portion of the field than the 10x32, though of course the 10x32's AOV is larger (67.0* vs. 61.2* [60.7* vs. 56.2* ISO]).
Thank you for sharing your findings. This is surprising, indeed.

Correction: the Magnification Change Mechanism is more complex than previously described.

Since my earlier posts I’ve collected additional cutaway images of the 8+12x42 Duovid, and looking at them more closely
makes clear that the change of magnification function is more complex than I previously thought.

The eyepiece consists 7 lenses in 4 groups, in 2, 1, 2, 2 configuration. And while the eye lens group is fixed,
the other 3 groups all move, though in a non-linear relationship when the magnification is changed.

As can be seen:
a) When the second and third groups are in their rearmost position,
the front group is maximally extended (almost contacting the rear prism face).

DV 8+12x42 a.jpg

b) But when the second and third groups are in their foremost position,
the front group is retracted from its previous position.

DV 8+12x42 b.jpg

The second image in the top pair is from the liveauctioneers site,
and the second image in the bottom pair is from a 2023 ebay listing by prinzessinalexa.

The complexity of the required movement may help to explain the generally lacklustre performance of binoculars with a continuous zoom function
(and why Leica chose to limit the Duovid to switching between the minimum and maximum magnification).

John

Last edited:
Just for completeness, there is a diagram in the Company7 Duovid review, showing two (of the) cam slots with opposite-handed (left and right) threads. The image probably comes from Leitz (Leica).

All images are the 8x/12x, rather than 10x/15x in the linked review. Presumably it came first.

I wonder why they are non-linear, given you are not meant to stop at intermediate magnification. Could just be ergonomics, or leverage to overcome inertia or stiction, and elegantly decelerating rather than banging into place and risking rebounding.

I haven't even begun to consider 'automatic diopter compensation' (ADC, the blue bits?) with internal focussing. It would be interesting to know more, from patents, perhaps.

Edit: Oh, this image was in post #1. I'll leave this up for the review link and interpretation.

Duovid42Cutaway557503.jpgDuovid42Cutaway557503_kindlephoto-142487536.jpg

Last edited:
For about three years now i use the 8-12x42 with great pleasure and joy. I can only compare it with my other phenomenal Leica, the little Ultravid 8x30 HD. Im apparently not sensitive to CA because in both binoculars i dont notice it. Nice sharp and warm saturated colors is both bins. The smaller Ultravid seems sometimes to be a tad brighter, so the 32 performs a little bit better than the 42. So i can imagine that if you would compare the Duovid side by side to a later 42 model with updated coatings (UVHD, UVHD+ and Noctovid) you will see the difference. If you use the Duovid on itself without comparing it directly to other glass IMHO i think you will still be impressed by the Leica image quality.

I dont wear glasses so i dont have issues with eye relief. It's a bit of a heavy bin, but as you can see on the pictures of John there is a lot of glass inside.

For me it's a glass i use on a daily basis when i'm on a long trip because i can use two magnifications in one binocular and therefore i have to carry less binoculars with me. It's the perfect glass to watch raptors. Also when at home the Duovid stands next to the window in 12x modus, ready to detect anything far away. Im very impressed with the optical design and build quality. It's an underrated instrument IMO and still very usable on a day to day basis but because of it's specific design its a compromise in weight, FOV etc.

As a matter of fact, because of this tread, im gonna take it with me today for a long walk on the beach and im hoping to spot some seals with it in 12x modus :)

Thanks for the update with the pictures John. Time flies as i use the Duovid for 5 years now and in this years i added some Leica’s to my collection. Recently i got a beautifull 12x50 UVHD+ which ofcourse has a better optical quality but the old Duovid still holds its ground. Very compact and therefore i take it with me when it’s windy instead the 12x50, the longer barrels catch the wind and therefore makes the image unsteady.

I tried to upload some pictures for size comparison but at the moment it doesn’t work, will try later.

Last edited:
I've tested them together. Obviously the Swarovski is better but the Duovids did perform better than expected..

Cheers
Tim
Thanks. Good to hear that because that saves me a lot of money Tim ;).

The 12x50 i have is obviously also better optically but the compactness and shorter barrels of the Duovid gives it advantages on specific occasions.

Cheers

Correction: the Magnification Change Mechanism is more complex than previously described.

Since my earlier posts I’ve collected additional cutaway images of the 8+12x42 Duovid, and looking at them more closely
makes clear that the change of magnification function is more complex than I previously thought.

The eyepiece consists 7 lenses in 4 groups, in 2, 1, 2, 2 configuration. And while the eye lens group is fixed,
the other 3 groups all move, though in a non-linear relationship when the magnification is changed.

As can be seen:
a) When the second and third groups are in their rearmost position,
the front group is maximally extended (almost contacting the rear prism face).

View attachment 1566678

b) But when the second and third groups are in their foremost position,
the front group is retracted from its previous position.

View attachment 1566679

The second image in the top pair is from the liveauctioneers site,
and the second image in the bottom pair is from a 2023 ebay listing by prinzessinalexa.

The complexity of the required movement may help to explain the generally lacklustre performance of binoculars with a continuous zoom function
(and why Leica chose to limit the Duovid to switching between the minimum and maximum magnification).

John
Thanks for this John.

Love my Duovids.
The only thing which is slightly annoying is the CA at 12x and the narrow fov at 8x.

I wish Leica had done a Magnesium bodied Duovid with HD Glass and a slightly wider fov if that could have been possible...

Cheers

Tim
Thanks. Good to hear that because that saves me a lot of money Tim ;).

The 12x50 i have is obviously also better optically but the compactness and shorter barrels of the Duovid gives it advantages on specific occasions.

Cheers
The Duovid 8-12x42 is still competitive with modern day Alphas. That's why it ran for over 20 of production.
I use my Swarovski 8x32 NL on occasion but my Duovids are my goto Bino... There like a mini scope and especially useful for Astronomy. The optics are extremely sharp all the way to the edge on 8x.

Cheers

Tim

Users who are viewing this thread

Back