• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Eagle attempting to take child (1 Viewer)

Interesting and scary to watch but not good news. People will see this as yet another reason for continued persecution. I personally hope this story doesn't get circulated too much but I fear that it will.

A shocking video. I don't know whether it is genuine or not. We see a distant shot of a little figure sitting unmoving on the ground. It could be a small child or a dummy. We see the Eagle swoop down and attempt to carry it off before dropping it. The cameraman then runs forward with the camera pointing at the ground and it then cuts to a close up of a child in the same clothing as the distant shot, looking reasonably unfazed.

As I said, I have no idea whether if it is genuine or staged but, either way, it is very bad PR for Golden Eagles.

Edit. Looking at it again, it doesn't cut to the the shot of the child at the end. It looks like continuous footage, so I don't know what to think.

Ron

Last edited:
I could be wrong, but I rather suspect it is staged as it seems very odd that the parent is apparently unaware of an eagle flying so close to him, and the child seems remarkably calm after such an escapade.

I think it is two videos superimposed on each other - one from the park and the other from a falconry display. Is the bird actually a Golden Eagle? Looks to me more like a Verreaux's Eagle or similar (very black above).

The kids shadow is missing in parts as he falls back down to the ground. I wouldn't even put 5 quid on it being real. The web just got trolled again..

I think it is two videos superimposed on each other - one from the park and the other from a falconry display. Is the bird actually a Golden Eagle? Looks to me more like a Verreaux's Eagle or similar (very black above).

It looks okay for a Golden Eagle to me. According to Ebird, Golden Eagles are far from unknown in Montreal in winter and there are even records from e.g. the botanical gardens. There don't seem to be any recent sightings though, so I guess this is most likely a falconer's bird.

Where is all the snow in the video? Hasn't montreal been covered in snow for weeks? If its an older video why would the person wait all this time to upload it lol. Come on.. Like I said above as the baby falls the shadow disappears then reappears at least 2 times.

On the front page of the Daily Mail website, that headline article finishes with an extra bit of info "However, the lifelike sequence was today claimed to be an elaborate CGI hoax."... In which case, you'd think they'd have made it less "headliney" by now.

Here is a zoomed in and stabilised version of the clip:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2TkEjcMMLqE

Can't really see what is meant about the swinging motion - it does look real to me.

Is it a Golden Eagle? Can't make my mind up.

Thanks for that. Yeah, looks like Computer generated footage - the movement of the Eagle is far too jerky to be a real-life bird. As fakes go its a good one, if the movement had been adjusted it would be very hard to tell.

I'd like to be 100% sure before starting slandering - imagine if it turned out to be real.

Can its "fakeness" be proven?

Fair enough. If it can be proven to be completely real footage I would retract my comments, but to me at least the movement of the eagle looks very jerky and unnatural.

I am sure there are various ways of analysing the footage as was done with the Ivory-billed Woodpecker video.

Fair enough. If it can be proven to be completely real footage I would retract my comments, but to me at least the movement of the eagle looks very jerky and unnatural.

I am sure there are various ways of analysing the footage as was done with the Ivory-billed Woodpecker video.

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2012/12/19/eagle-baby-attack-video_n_2327158.html

Does a good job with images and freeze frames of showing why it isn't real. Disappearing shadows, The wing of the bird missing in one of the stills. Also once again I will ask where all the snow is.. something as simple as that needs answering. I refuse to believe the person kept the video to himself for weeks on end. No rips on the kids clothing? The parent not coming forward to sell the story of their kid being "kidnapped" by an eagle lol.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back