• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Eagle ID from Al Ain, UAE, 23.09.2020. (1 Viewer)

peterarras

Hi all,
Saw this Eagle few minutes ago, roaring high above me!
Any idea, what it could be?
Thanks in advance.
Cheers
Peter

Attachments

• DSC_6366a.jpg
    DSC_6366a.jpg
    145.5 KB · Views: 57
  • DSC_6367a.jpg
    DSC_6367a.jpg
    182.2 KB · Views: 29
  • DSC_6368a.jpg
    DSC_6368a.jpg
    154 KB · Views: 35
  • DSC_6368a1.jpg
    DSC_6368a1.jpg
    156.3 KB · Views: 89
  • DSC_6369a.jpg
    DSC_6369a.jpg
    146.9 KB · Views: 39
Only an idea - it looks like a Greater Spotted Eagle but moulting so not sure (I could be making a bit a a ‘clanga’ ? ;))

my guess is Steppe

That was my first thought but checked a range map for UAE and it didnt appear to be in range for the UAE- perhaps i looked at the wrong map! (I did apparently!)However, I would like to know why this isn’t a GSE - the wings look look quite broad and relatively short and compact in some of the shots with a relatively short 7th p and short tail - I honestly don’t know what can be ascertained from the plumage? I’m not saying I disagree with Steppe but would like to know how GSE can be ruled out for sure.

Last edited:
I’m not saying I disagree with Steppe but would like to know how GSE can be ruled out for sure.

I'm not saying it is a Steppe as GSE has similar square looking wings, it just was my first impression and I guess in these pictures you can not go further than a first impression, GSE is well possible

That was my first thought but checked a range map for UAE and it didnt appear to be in range for the UAE- perhaps i looked at the wrong map! (I did apparently!)However, I would like to know why this isn’t a GSE - the wings look look quite broad and relatively short and compact in some of the shots with a relatively short 7th p and short tail - I honestly don’t know what can be ascertained from the plumage? I’m not saying I disagree with Steppe but would like to know how GSE can be ruled out for sure.

Steppe does occur but is scarce. GSE is far more likely.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back