• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Early Marsh Orchid or a hybrid? (1 Viewer)

davidearlgray

davidearlgray
Hi all, I took these photos yesterday at a site in Leicestershire and just wonder what people think it is?
I think it might be an Early Marsh Orchid or possible a hybrid?
I look forward to your replies,
Cheers,
Dave.

http://davidearlgray.blogspot.com/

Attachments

• DSCN0955ashby smo.jpg
    DSCN0955ashby smo.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 88
  • DSCN0956ashby smo.jpg
    DSCN0956ashby smo.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 92
This isn't a dig at the OP, just a general thought.

It would make the ID of plants so much easier if the whole plant was shown.

It would also be helpful to see an image of plants in context, i.e. a picture of the habitat they are in; would help, if nothing else, to judge size.

Although I can apprieciate why posters would not want to give exact locations, an indication of the biotype would be so useful. You can eliminate so many species if you know the know the soil type.

Hi Winkle, the orchid was photographed on a former opencast site and the geology for this site is limestone/Ironstone based with possible heavy metals included.
I actually now think the plant is a Southern Marsh Orchid and looks different due to the soil type?
if you check out my blog at: http://davidearlgray.blogspot.com/ you will see more photos of the orchids.
Hope this helps?
Cheers,
Dave.

Dave

On my initial look I thought these were the same as plants at a site on the Mendips - on some of those there is absolutely no markings on the lip so you are just left with a plain pink and white lip. On closer looks I see yours have a few light marks - some of the Mendip plants are like this.

I have always presumed the Mendip plants to be a hybrid swarm originating from Southern Marsh x Heath Spotted (although there now appears to be no 'pure' plants). That site is on old lead workings so maybe the metal in the soil is having an impact.

Would you like me to post some pictures of the Mendip plants?

Rich M

Hi Rich, yes can you post some photos of the mendips plants or email me some?
Let me know if you want my email address?
Cheers,
Dave.

OK Dave, one with just a few markings on the lip and one without any.

Rich M

Attachments

• IMG_0776.jpg
    IMG_0776.jpg
    121.2 KB · Views: 80
  • Priddy 8.JPG
    Priddy 8.JPG
    124 KB · Views: 79
Hi all

For the record, I visited Dave's site last weekend and it is covered in Common spotted and southern marsh, plus a high number of hybrids between the two. There are no Early marsh or Heath spotted.

In my opinion Dave's plants are pure Southern marsh, and Richard your right hand photo looks like pure SMO to me also. The left hand one seems to show characteristics of HSO and SMO, so is probably a hybrid.

Cheers

Sean

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back