• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Eastern Bluebirds - Freezing Temperatures (1 Viewer)

jgrnot

Hello everyone,

Last fall we moved to a new area in Missouri (St. Louis), and this spring I put up a blue bird box. To my surprise, within minutes of me setting up the box there was a pair that had colonized the house.

Since then, I have put out worms and have been enjoying the pair. I am also very confident that their eggs have hatched as their feeding has increased. With that said, last night was very cold (35 degrees Farenheit), and I wanted to know if anyone is aware of how tolerant the chics are to these temperatures. I am obviously concerned and wondered if anyone had any knowledge?

Thank you for your help,
Jgrnot

With that said, last night was very cold (35 degrees Farenheit), and I wanted to know if anyone is aware of how tolerant the chics are to these temperatures. I am obviously concerned and wondered if anyone had any knowledge?
Eastern Bluebirds can raise a clutch with a few very cold days thrown in. The heat transfer from the parent and the lining/insulation of the cavity nest can more than compensate for a day in the mid-30's. The real danger of unexpected and extreme cold spells is not in the chicks freezing, it is in the parents not being able to find food to bring back to the chicks. Without there being an extended freeze, that shouldn't be a worry.

Terry,

Thanks again. that is great news. However in the last couple of days, I haven't seen any of them, and there are scratches to the bottom of my box. I have a fear they were predated. I am hoping, as there were no feathers at the scene, that at least the adults got away.

Regarding the food, I was feeding them meal worms, so that wasn't an issue.

Thank you again for the reply, because I am optimistic for next year, and if there is a cold snap next year, I won't worry too much.

Jgrnot

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back