• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Happy Mother's Day (1 Viewer)

LIgal1991

United States
Good morning all, I am fairly new to birding, but happy to say I had a successful family of bluebirds in my nest box this spring. 5 eggs, 3 hatched, and it was an amazing experience to witness. Babies fledged on May 4. A few days later, I saw 3 babies with parents doing a flying field trip in neighborhood...also amazing. What to do now...was confused about clearing box out vs leaving for 2nd brood, and it does seem both schools of thought are split 50/50 on this. I had the mindset, that I would leave it alone, but had read SO many testimonials of reasons to clear, (with valid reasons), and so early evening yesterday, I cleaned box. Now this morning, seems the parents returned to box, seemed confused as to where their nest went. Did I misunderstand and clear box too early? Last thing I want to do, is deter my bluebirds from nesting 2nd brood in my yard.... please share thoughts. I feel I already had postpartum from the fledgling leaving box, now I have empty nest a week later...

Welcome to Birdforum.

I tend to leave clearing nest boxes until the autumn - the end of September usually.

Thank you, Kits, for your reply. I probably should have trusted my first instinct and left the nests alone...however, all may not be lost, the mating pair of bluebirds have returned to the nest box this morning and seem to be showing interest, so fingers crossed, they will rebuild in same box and have another successful hatch... I believe next year, I will only clear box at end of season (September), as that just feels more natural....Happy birding all!!

Hi LIgal and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators.

Yes, I agree it's probably best to leave the nest box clearance until the end of the season, as the birds will clear out what they don't want and relay if necessary, especially if they're multi-brooded like the Eastern Bluebird ; that's a link to our Opus article on the species, which includes links to other species of Bluebird in case I picked the wrong one for your area LOL

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I look forward to hearing your news.

Hi, welcome to the forum. I think you will find us a friendly and helpful group.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back