• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Eden Estuary News (14 Viewers)

Ben Nevis said:
How was the weather down your way today ? Snow in Aberdeen but thankfully,it is now thawing out.
Overcast but no snow. A bit of sleet after dark and some more first thing this morning. Aberdeen always does get more than here ...

Rob

Some solid winter birding this weekend, if unspectacular.
Single red-throated diver on both days and 3 dabchicks on Saturday. Good duck numbers (garden record mallard count, yawn) including 2m1f pintail yesterday and 5 long-tailed ducks on Saturday (3 drakes). Waders included 3 greenshanks and the first turnstone of the year (69). There were up to 5 rock pipits on the saltmarsh and in the wet field in front of the FBC hide - the most I have seen for a while. 20 redwings fed in the field just over the back fence at dusk on Saturday.
This morning our mini Holkham was in full swing. It began with 18 whooper swans flying out in the gloaming and as it got lighter it was clear that there were huge numbers of pinkfeet in the roost. Large numbers first appeared during the week but this morning there were probably over 4000 - the most I have ever seen on the Eden. Also about 500 greylags present, and as usual they left after the pinks.

Rob

The goose fest continues with up to 5000 pinkfeet in the roost and perhaps 600 greylags. Also several whooper swans around, though they leave the roost very early. A magpie has been seen almost daily - the first time this has ever been the case and symptomatic of their spread into NE Fife. A significant influx of yellowhammers with 6m3f on Saturday - our highest count for nearly 3 years.
Otherwise all quiet.

Rob

17 Pale-bellied Brents, 3 Pintail, 4 of each Long-tailed Duck and Slav Grebe in the outer estuary today.

Also no less than 31 Purple Sands by the golf museum car park in St.Andrews.

Nice stuff Jonathan.

I got a shock when I checked Birdguides yesterday evening and discovered that there was an avocet reported from the Eden! It was seen yesterday afternoon on the west side of the Coble shore. I managed to relocate it this morning preening and snoozing at the water's edge. Not very inspiring views but a real garden mega (70 for the year). Otherwise not too exciting at present though the goose spectacle continues to thrill. Andrew points skywards and says "geese" when they fly over! There were 31 whooper swans in the field across the estuary this morning, the highest count of the winter so far.

Rob

Hi Laurie,
Best place to scan from would be the lay-by on the A91 on the outskirts of Guardbridge. With any luck you will pick it up from there. You can then either go to the Eden Estuary Centre or there is public access along the Coble shore depending what you find! If you are a Fife Bird Club member the hide at Edenside is another option ...

PM me if you want further details

Rob

Avocet in Fife! Truly sensational. The only Avocet I have seen in Scotland was at Musselburgh back in 1996 - bit annoyed the Eden bird wasn't picked up before my weekend visit last week.

There has been a bit of a run of avocet records in the last few years: 3 at Kilconquhar, 4 on the Eden in early April 2004 (my personal favourite ;) ), 1 at Fife Ness and now this one.

It was an excellent weekend, especially Saturday which produced 56 species. Highlights included 2 red-throated divers, up to 5 slav grebes, dabchick, fulmar (nfy) at least 21 whooper swans, 5 pintail (3 drakes), 7 long-tailed ducks, 8 greenshanks, the avocet, tree sparrow (nfy) and at least 5 yellowhammers. The avocet was on the west side of the Coble shore mid morning on Saturday then roosted on the edge of the saltmarsh over high tide when it showed very nicely. It appears to have taken exception to Saturday night's frost, as there was no sign of it yesterday.

Garden year list now 72.

Rob

The goose exodus this morning was perhaps the most spectacular yet. Almost all the pinkfeet and greylags left together and flew out over the house, The sky was full of geese. Before they left I found a nice barnacle goose among them (73 for the year). There have been reports of bean goose in the flock but I haven't picked one up yet.

Rob

Afraid I'm going to be boring again and talk about geese ...
My morning ritual of scouring as much of the flock as possible before they depart paid dividends this morning when I found a nice Greenland whitefront. This is only our 2nd definite flavirostris, though last year's bird could have been, and we only have one record of Eurasian whitefront (3 birds). The flock left the roost at 7:30.

74 for the year.

Rob

It was a pretty quiet weekend, yet another 3 spp were added to the year list, taking us to 77. From being 6 behind last year's running total a little over a week ago, we are now 1 ahead.
A 1st year drake tufted duck was around on both Saturday and Sunday whilst yesterday produced the first returning lesser black-backed gull and a nice drake goosander. Other good birds over the weekend included slavonian grebe and red-throated diver. The geese were at their most spectacular yet on Sunday morning, with perhaps 6000 pinkfeet. I saw the barnacle goose again as well, having also seen it on Friday.

Rob

It has been fairly quiet of late with a few exceptions. Here is a rundown of recent highlights.
Whooper swans have performed extremely well, often feeding in the fields across the estuary. 44 yesterday is our highest ever count. The geese now leave the roost too early to see them, though last night they came in before dark when the flock contained 2 barnacles. Pintail have been seen regularly, it has probably been our best ever winter for them.
Wader numbers have been very poor, though godwit numbers are building with a few orange birds. The pair of peregrines have really made the inner estuary a no-go area for waders.
A single tree sparrow has been visiting the feeders and yellowhammer numbers are at their highest ever - last week Sue had a remarkable 17 at once.

Rob

A very wind blown weekend - not good for scanning downstream - but we still managed to add 2 to the garden yearlist. These were a couple of adult gannets offshore and (very belatedly) a pair on linnets. That takes us to 79. Other highlights were 5 long-tailed ducks a long way upstream, a record count of 49 whooper swans, 5 greenshanks and 223 black-tailed godwits. At least 98 godwits were in the field in front of the house on what was probably the highest tide we have ever witnessed here. I think we can conclude that there were no snipe on the saltmarsh!

Rob

A few bits and pieces to report. Whooper swans peaked last Friday with over 70 feeding in what was the pig field (sadly not visible from the premises!). Since then numbers fell to 40ish and again to 11 there this morning. Long-tailed ducks have been regular from the house with 5 present this morning.
Black-tailed godwit numbers are building but are down on the last 2 years' totals. Passerine highlights include a couple of sightings of tree sparrow and a recurrence of magpie.
Finally this morning produced a garden "plumage tick" with a summer plumage slav grebe.

Rob

We've been away for a week in southern Portugal, hence the lack of updates. Although it was a family holiday, highlights included good numbers of great and little bustards, lesser kestrel, collared pratincole, black-eared wheatear ... Might rustle up a brief trip report.
Godwit numbers have increased quite markedly with 348 on Sunday and 374 last night. We are around the usual peak in numbers so this is well down on the past couple of years. Few other waders of note, though there was a single knot last night. There are still a few whooper swans around, with 7 on the estuary last night. 3 long-tailed ducks included 2 drakes, but the highlight was a pair of shovelers - the first of the year on a very typical date (80).

Rob

Quite a profitable weekend for the list, with even a few migrants :eek!:
Swallows were around on both Saturday and Sunday and yesterday produced a single sand martin through plus a whimbrel in the high tide roost. Yesterday morning I heard a few bursts of song from a blackcap - very frustrating as we have only 2 records of the species and none for 4 years (plus it is the one species on the garden list that I have not seen there!). Finally this morning I picked up a songflighting meadow pipit - a belated addition to the year list which now stands at 84.
Other weekend highlights included 3 pintail, 2 pairs of long-tailed duck and several whoopers swans. One of these had a broken wing and was taken into care. It was rather disturbing to see it attacked by a crazed mute swan! Another sickly whooper died last week and was collected by men in white suits, hmm...

Rob

The list continues to grow ...
A bit of scope work on Thursday evening produced a distant pair of stock doves - rather negated by the fine individual on the saltmarsh this afternoon! (85). Also on Thursday came the highest black-tailed godwit count of the year so far (394). They seem to have tailed off a bit since, so that could be the peak - well down on the last 2 years. Around 95% of the birds are in superb summer plumage. Our equivalent of 17 glossy ibis came this morning in the shape of 21 tufted ducks - a record. It sounds dull, but all aythyas are scarce on the Eden. Also this morning I saw our first willow warbler of the year (86).
This afternoon at least 7 meadow pipits were on the saltmarsh along with a superb male grey wagtail (87). Grey wagtails are around all year but very unpredictable so it's always a relief to get them on the garden yearlist.
Other notable recent records include a tree sparrow and at least 12 yellowhammers.

Rob

Sometimes it's nice to be wrong ...

Well I was totally wrong about godwits as Sunday produced a huge influx. I managed a count of 694 on the rising tide on Sunday afternoon, shattering our previous record total - awesome. Since then numbers seem to have dropped quite rapidly.
2 female wheatears on Sunday were our first of the year, followed yesterday by 2 males and a female (88). One of the males was a Greenland type. Sunday aslo produced 2 apirs of long-tailed ducks in summer plumage.
Yesterday evening I managed to pick up some distant house martins taking us to 89 for the year.

Rob

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back