• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Edible dormice Wendover (1 Viewer)

Owene

Wales
I was reading the book A Summer of British Wildlife by James Lowen and it suggests that seeing dormice at Wendover woods is really easy. Is that actually the case?

Yes, piece of cake. The are vocal, so easy to find, and if you use a red torch they will often sit for you but not early in the night. They really don't like white light, they will be off like a shot. Camera flash is not an issue however.

They will be out from dusk but they are very twitchy then, later on they settle down and are easier. Don't depend on a quick hit, commit to a longish session finishing perhaps midnight.

Good luck!

John

I'm not really adding much to what's already been said, but don't think I've ever failed to see them. One evening I took my two young nephews (as they were at the time) out in Wendover Woods at night, and they loved the experience spotting them with their torches.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back