• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Efficient lens caps for 8x42 Victory SF wanted (1 Viewer)

trebron

Hello! After not finding a suitable answer in the forum posts, here is my explicit question: Are there any practical lens caps for the Zeiss 8x42 Victory SF binoculars? The caps supplied with the bin were not suitable for practical reasons. The very efficient caps from the 10x42 Victory FL cannot be applied because the tube ends of the SF are not circular (which is nice, but otherwise pointless). So you need caps that are inserted into the lens tube opening. Similar to the caps of one of the better Swarovski models. I would really appreciate a tip, as I often use this otherwise excellent glass in environments where I need to protect its lenses. Thanks in advance!

Hello! After not finding a suitable answer in the forum posts, here is my explicit question: Are there any practical lens caps for the Zeiss 8x42 Victory SF binoculars? The caps supplied with the bin were not suitable for practical reasons. The very efficient caps from the 10x42 Victory FL cannot be applied because the tube ends of the SF are not circular (which is nice, but otherwise pointless). So you need caps that are inserted into the lens tube opening. Similar to the caps of one of the better Swarovski models. I would really appreciate a tip, as I often use this otherwise excellent glass in environments where I need to protect its lenses. Thanks in advance!
Hello, I attach the objective covers as intended with the provided strap on the left side. The rain cover I also attached but via a small custom thread also on the left side. When the binocular is in use they just hang down, but thats not an issue.

I always put the raincover on the eye pieces and the objective covers on the objectives when the current viewing is done, always! For the same reason as you, to avoid dirt and dust on the glass.

I just lose 1 till 1.5 seconds to get all covers easily from the lenses when needed. (1st rain covers, next objective covers.) With a bit training, this becomes a natural motion to remove the covers and get the bino to your eye sockets in place. You don’t realize that you removed something. (While your eyes are on the target all the time, and not on the binocular.)

Putting them back in place takes a few seconds more, but it’s worth to protect the lenses. (Then you can look at the binocular to put them back, of course.)

When the objective covers are new, then they need around 2-3 months a lot of daily usage to break-in. Then they are easily detached and put back again.

My new SF 10x32‘s covers needed 2 month to break-in. I can’t remember how it was with my SF 10x42 but now (after almost 4 years of use) they are buttery smooth.

PS: When I am back at home I always, clean the bino, covers and all the lenses from dust and small particles, with a quite strong small bellows.

The lenses of my SF 42 look still like brand new.

(If the covers would get too lose over time, you could get some replacements from them for free.)

Just be patient to break all covers in.
Cheers

Last edited:
I agree it is too bad Zeiss came up with the odd and hard to use objective covers. Since the barrels
are not round a regular cover will not work well. Two plugs dangling on a cord are not effective but
rather a bad joke...............
Jerry

Users who are viewing this thread

Back