• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Egg thief told to expect prison (BBC News) (1 Viewer)

Funny, isn't it how some (but not all) of those who're so quick to rush to deplore violence against 'innocent birds' (presumable Song Bird Survival know where the guilty birds are!) are in the forefront in demanding violent retribution against characters like this loathsome throwback,
John

Uh? Read through this thread again and nobody seems to be ''demanding violent retribution'', in fact no one has mentioned violence be directed towards him at all, unless you are referring to ringing and tagging per se? Electronic tagging being a commonly used 'non-violent' means of tracking individuals in the community - rather than prison) - ringing is nothing more than we subject birds to for the purposes of conservation and I presume that process is non-violent unless you know otherwise. Your problem whatever it is, is unrelated to the thread - Egg collectors are a threat to conservation, to suggest they ringed and tagged as birds are for conservation, is a play on words and tongue in cheek, but even if it wasn't, it would be appropriate for someone with a record of stealing so many eggs to ensure there are means to prevent recidivism . The purpose of 'justice' in the CJS is for 'reparation' not 'retribution' - the punishment must be in proportion to the crime.

Last edited:
People that take the lives of innocent creatures by shooting 'for pleasure' are sick, whether it's called 'legitimate' or not.

Pheasants and partridges constitute the freest of free range fowl. Unless you are condemning the eating of meat (in which case there is no more to be said, I'll just roll my eyes skywards) I think you're on a sticky wicket with your argument.

John

Pheasants and partridges constitute the freest of free range fowl. Unless you are condemning the eating of meat (in which case there is no more to be said, I'll just roll my eyes skywards) I think you're on a sticky wicket with your argument.

John

His argument was when the shooting is 'for pleasure', perhaps inserting one additional word, ie 'for pure pleasure', then takes it pretty close to the line I would take too. Not much sticky with that, nor does it fail to recognise hunters do and and can be beneficial for conservation, just that (in my opinion) they start from a warped perspective.

Also egg collecting is bad enough but:

a freezer at the 41-year-old’s house was filled with the bodies of 21 wild birds, including rare birds such as honey buzzard, Montagu’s harrier and short-toed eagle.

??? This just takes it above and beyond.

People that take the lives of innocent creatures by shooting 'for pleasure' are sick, whether it's called 'legitimate' or not.

I know plenty of people who shoot and are knowledgable and passionate about the protection of non target species within the area. They are not at all sick but just have a different perspective and most enjoy eating the birds and animals shot. By the way I don't shoot myself but try not to judge others who do from a sentimental standpoint.

I know plenty of people who shoot and are knowledgable and passionate about the protection of non target species within the area. They are not at all sick but just have a different perspective and most enjoy eating the birds and animals shot. By the way I don't shoot myself but try not to judge others who do from a sentimental standpoint.

People who take the lives of innocent, defenceless creatures purely 'for pleasure' by shooting are morally reprehensible; and what decent humanbeing would disagree with that statement.

Today in our country absolutely nobody needs to shoot for food, do they...so why do they do it? The only 'legitimate' reason for shooting to kill today is pest control or culling, and even then nature if left to it's own devices would do the job itself.

I'm a hardline realist, and tell it as I see it, what's sentiment got to do with it!

and what decent humanbeing would disagree with that statement.
I'm a hardline realist, and tell it as I see it, what's sentiment got to do with it!

So I'm not a decent human being for disagreeing with you. Very democratic and liberal point of view

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back