• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Empid and Sparrow -Michigan (1 Viewer)

Rapala

The first photo of an empid was taken near the shore of Lake Superior in dense undergrowth. I believe it is a Yellow-Bellied Flycatcher, but I do not trust myself on empids. To me they all look alike ;).

My second photo is possibly one of the worst I have yet to post, but this secretive sparrow was distant and elusive. The photo was taken in a grassy marsh several days ago. Unfortunately this was the only photo I was able to take of the bird because it flew only short distances beforedropping down into cover. To me it appears to be a grasshopper sparrow but I am still hoping for it to somehow be a Le Conte's Sparrow, the goal bird of the outing. Unfortunately no Le Conte's were heard or seen that day (and I understand seeing one is a very difficult thing to do).

Thanks

Attachments

• Flycatcher.jpg
    Flycatcher.jpg
    486.3 KB · Views: 81
  • grasshopper sparrow.jpg
    grasshopper sparrow.jpg
    325.3 KB · Views: 87
It seems to me that the empid doesn't have enough eye ring for a Yellow-bellied. It looks closer to an Alder (oops - Willow is pretty much out of range) to me.

Can't be firm on the sparrow either, but it certainly does not look like the face of a LeConte's. Something darker, possibly a Savannah.

I'm not touching the Empid, though I agree that the eye ring doesn't seem strong enough for Yellow-bellied.

The second looks like a young Song Sparrow.

Thank you both for the replies. RJP, I cannot see the empid being an Alder Flycatcher primarily because the habitat was far too dry for an Alder. The empid was seen in a small stand of spruces amid a Jack Pine plain. Can the eye ring be somewhat variable (see this picture)? Of course, the photo I took is not great either.

Thanks for the thoughts on the sparrow, it's likely that it was a young Song/Savannah as there were many more around.

RJP, I cannot see the empid being an Alder Flycatcher primarily because the habitat was far too dry for an Alder. The empid was seen in a small stand of spruces amid a Jack Pine plain. Can the eye ring be somewhat variable (see this picture)?
Yes, the eye ring can be variable. IDing empids is a risky venture, and I certainly could be wrong. If it really isn't an Alder, and Willow is out of range, then Yellow-bellied is really a contender.

I don't know to separate Acadian and alder on that Empid.

The sparrow has the chunkiness of a song, but seeing other details like tail length would help.

I'd call that a yellow-bellied flycatcher, despite the lack of the eyering. It's got yellowish throat and belly, short primaries, and it's in perfect habitat.

I can't really help on the sparrow without more photos, but it looks okay to me for a song sparrow, perhaps a young bird.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back