• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

[England] Warbler? (1 Viewer)

Should I have not posted any guess of my own? I didn't want to appear as if I didn't make any effort to ID the bird myself...

Of course you can post your own ideas, I just don't read it if I try to help because it can influence the thought process but it's up to anyone else how they approach it themselves.

Of course you can post your own ideas, I just don't read it if I try to help because it can influence the thought process but it's up to anyone else how they approach it themselves.

I tend to use that as a starting point. Then I can look to see if it fits. If it doesn't then I look at alternatives. If I'm not sure I put an "I think" or a "what about" or something in my answer.

I have seen blurred images at huge distances that people have IDed on here because of other factors like behaviour, location, and the magic of jizz. They rule out the ones they do because they are experienced enough to do so, or feel that they are. They are left with with what is most likely and the one that fits the best is the winner. Now obviously, not everyone has this ability, my nine years is certainly not enough. The more experienced and knowledgeable you are, the more you can exclude, so the choice narrows. Most IDs are fairly straight forward, but then you get discussions where there is detailed analysis down to emarginations or whatever and this obviously needs very good images. They are oxygen for enthusiasts like me, trying to improve my abilities. There is not a lot to do but wait till the end of the post and thank the participants for their input.

My photo was pretty crap. I'm not surprised it was so difficult to tell two similar species apart based on a heavy crop from a relatively noisy (M4/3) sensor.

On the contrary, your first shot was easily good enough to ID to species - with care; the quality of your image was not the cause of this discourse at all. Just be wary of the opinions of the clique of 'experts' on the forum and based on snap judgements - your opinion is every bit as worthy as theirs!

In answer to your later question, yes, by all means take a stab at an ID yourself, its 'your' bird after all. If you make a mistake, so what, that's the way we all learn and it'll stand you in good stead in the future.

Have fun!

RB

On the contrary, your first shot was easily good enough to ID to species - with care; the quality of your image was not the cause of this discourse at all. Just be wary of the opinions of the clique of 'experts' on the forum and based on snap judgements - your opinion is every bit as worthy as theirs!

In answer to your later question, yes, by all means take a stab at an ID yourself, its 'your' bird after all. If you make a mistake, so what, that's the way we all learn and it'll stand you in good stead in the future.

Have fun!

RB

Of course, for a fantastic birder like you, it was very easy. For some others, poor level like me, it was tough. I guess I should lean in front of the master.

:king: o:D :-O

"le ridicule ne tue pas" we say in French. Good news for some.

Of course, for a fantastic birder like you, it was very easy. For some others, poor level like me, it was tough. I guess I should lean in front of the master.

:king: o:D :-O

"le ridicule ne tue pas" we say in French. Good news for some.

On the contrary, I don't regard myself as an expert in anything - in any way, shape or form. No one is truly expert at anything, some are just a little better informed and/or careful than others! Had you looked at the image instead of 'firing from the hip' (to use a phrase oft-used by another 'expert' on this forum), it's identity would have been readily apparent.

RB

On the contrary, I don't regard myself as an expert in anything - in any way, shape or form. No one is truly expert at anything, some are just a little better informed and/or careful than others! Had you looked at the image instead of 'firing from the hip' (to use a phrase oft-used by another 'expert' on this forum), it's identity would have been readily apparent.

RB

I look now at the first image and I still think it matched better a Willow Warbler on many aspects and, without the second photo, I would have kept my idea (and ID) of WW.

As you said earlier, we learn from our mistakes. Now, many people don't dare to say something and don't have the chance to learn from their mistakes because they are scared of reaction of others.

So what about this thread ?

Is gave a wrong ID, sure, and thanks to me, experts or "better informed" people had to explain how their have reached their conclusion, and we learned something. May be not you, because it was so easy for you, but I speak about others for whom a single photo of a little insectivorous passerine in flight cannot be identified at the first second.

Unfortunately, your totally useless comment "Come on, the second image wasn't really needed at all, was it? Funny how its 'only a game' when the so-called experts drop the ball!! " will discourage other people to do like me in the future and keep silent. Next time, before commenting, you should wonder if what you are writing can be of any use for anyone.

Last edited:
I have enjoyed this Thread no end , I must admit seeing the two photos changed my view also .
Anyway this has always troubled me taken above my house in Leeds UK in June 2017
Any thoughts?
I only have this Image.
ade2fb99fabe0a772b634260b2b1e45a.jpg

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

I have enjoyed this Thread no end , I must admit seeing the two photos changed my view also .
Anyway this has always troubled me taken above my house in Leeds UK in June 2017
Any thoughts?
I only have this Image.

Sparrowhawk displaying white undertail coverts making it look broad hipped

Any thoughts?
I only have this Image.

I think you'd have more replies by starting a new thread. In any case your bird is a Sparrowhawk.

EDIT: sorry, I didn't see Tom had already answered!

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back