• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Essex Birding (8 Viewers)

I had a brief male Merlin hunting along the cliffs by the naze on Sunday morning, hoping to make it to Hanningfield tomorrow to see if these winds have blown something interesting in...

Sean, I was very interested in your count of 2500 Brent on Sunday. Until this week-end we had had counts of up to 1500. Yesterday there were about 2000. I know there are other smaller flocks on the estuary but your count is the highest for the site for some time. Excellent.

The R-b Goose appeared to be feeding normally. Some White-fronted are about but no Bean recently. The Great White Egrets also appear to have moved on, at least for now.

I did not notice any Redwing during yesterday's count. There were over 30 Fieldfare.[/QUOTE]

Hi David

The 2500 was only an approximate count. It was certainly over 2000. Tony
Wells told me that the Black Brant we found was the same bird he'd seen at E Mersea, perhaps suggesting movement between the two flocks.

I only saw 2 Redwing briefly in Hawthorn bushes where the Fieldfare briefly alighted before moving on.

We couldn't find the Whitefronts, despite searching through the many Greylag.

Sean :)

It's now at Old Hall marshes, if you have a permit you can park in the car park otherwise it's a long walk from Tollesbury or Salcott. However assuming you do get there, on Sunday pm it was on Bale Field behind the water with loads of Brent. Not easy to pick out, strangely enough.................

hi, could anybody give me an approximate postcode/direction for where the red breasted goose is on mersea please? Many thanks.
Dan[/QUOTE]

It moves around a lot. There are times when it stands out clearly. It tends to be on the edge of whichever flock it is with and can be behind vegetation or even the Brents. Then it is more difficult.

As I responded to Sean, it was seen at Old Hall on Monday, both on Bale (as on Sunday by Viv) and Salcott fields. The latter is close to Salcott village -- just take the public footpath along the sea wall from the village. Bale is the next field east -- where the sea wall turns left. (A mile further along Smew were in the channel and White-fronts near the centre of the island.) If present, it will almost certainly be with one of the flocks of Brents and most likely on one of the half dozen improved grass fields, at the western side of the reserve.

On Tuesday, it was seen south of West Mersea, not far from the sea front car park. This is a smaller area to search. It also has quicker access but may be less reliable. So I guess you, "Pay's your money and takes your choice". Best of luck. I have seen it on several occasions now -- about a 50-75% success rate. I think it will be with us all winter.

I have had no recent sighting or report of either Bean or Pink-footed Geese in the estuary.

Thank you all very much for the gen, unfortunatley didnt connect with it today as we got lost a few times trying to get to Old Hall (RSPB have done a great job with regards to keeping the site well hidden!) and gave up to visit Fingeringhoe wick. Managed to get views of Glossy ibis, peregrine and several red breasted mergansers so it wasnt a total write off!

we got lost a few times trying to get to Old Hall (RSPB have done a great job with regards to keeping the site well hidden!)

I understand that Old Hall there are issues with the private road that gives access. This is why it isn't signposted and you are supposed to have a permit. However there are public footpaths around the area. I usually park near the end of the road in the village of Salcott and walk from there. Look on an OS map or on Google Maps. (There isn't that much space in the village, but by the church should be OK.) It is a interesting, not-too-long and fairly good birding walk that takes you to the reserve.

Stewart

A short visit to Southend Pier this afternoon resulted in 3 Great Northern Divers which were pretty distant apart from one that briefly came into the pier bay. Hopefully over the winter these birds wil spend their time right in the bay as in years past.

There were also 29 MedGulls present on the posts by the slipway but due to the state of the tide there was no sign of the Purple Sandpiper.

Last edited:
I took the opportunity today to do a quick tour of the recent long-staying birds in NE Essex. I arrived at South Green Road, Fingringhoe at around 11.45 and, as I pulled off the road, the Great Grey Shike flew past. Soon it was perching on wires right above my head (and I cursed not having my camera ready). Round the corner at Fingringhoe Wick reserve, the Glossy Ibis showed distantly on the marshes, and on the river (close by 20+ Red-breasted Mergansers) was a Great Northern Diver. At East Mersea, there were 25 Snow Bunting feeding near the seawall entrance to Cudmore Grove CP. Also present there, out-of-season and out-of-habitat, were two Chiffchaffs. At Abberton Reservoir, there were two Bewick Swans in Hide Bay and, by late afternoon, two Short-eared Owls were by the Layer Breton causeway. I missed out on seeing Water Rail by the weir there, but a Grey Wagtail was present. All around this area, I heard reports of harriers: mainly Marsh Harriers, but also a few Hen Harriers. In my brief stay at Fingringhoe Wick, I saw two Marsh Harriers and one ring-tailed Hen Harrier.

All these birds are likely to stay around a while longer and I recommend a birding trip this area - Stewart

Goldcrests at Hanningfield

Thanks for that, I'll put that on my agenda for a visit. Managed to see a Coal Tit at Hanningfield last Saturday and had excellent views of Goldcrests in the hedge between the path and the field heading towards the hides. Didn't need the binoculars! Went back on Thursday 'in the big blow' and I didn't see the Goldcrests but there were 3 Goosander (distant) but a blacked neck grebe the slavonian grebe were diving close to the causeway. Pintail and Goldeneye were about too. I thought I saw about half a dozen barnacle geese, but got distracted looking for a raptor as all the lapwings flew up, set the scope up to go back to the geese and have a good look at them and they'd all gone. Some of the geese flew amongst the disturbance, so I guessed it could have been them.

I visited last last Friday and the Goldcrests were back in the same position..excellent views. They were about in the trees near most of the hides as well but the hedge between the path and field was best.

http://www.essexbirds.com/hanningfield/h11e7d14d#h11e7d14d

Short round robin of the Southend area sites late morning and early afternoon produced a fine Short-eared Owl over the east end of Two Tree Island.

At Shoebury off the Garrison were several Guillemots, Red-throated Divers, a female Eider and a couple of very distant Slavonian Grebes.

Three Snow Buntings continue to visit Shoebury East Beach being seen on either the Boom or the car pack area just inland by the boats.

Finally three fine drake Mandarins were again in Friars Park Shoebury.

Rather pleasant few hours out before braving Tesco for last minute Christmas bits and bobs.

Had a pleasant stroll round Old Hall today with most of the usual stuff including superb views of Bearded Tit (yes, I still call it that) but while at the very end, looking for, and failing to see, any divers, a small auk flew into view, did a small circuit, then sat briefly on the water before flying off towards Bradwell. The first Puffin I have ever seen in Essex.

Phil

Phil,

Bearded Tit? ... Is that a new fangled name for Reedling? Seriously, though, were they at Pennyfleet, Irongate or somewhere else?

The Puffin is most unusual for this site, so was quite a find. Divers tend to be seen nearer Great Cob on the Tollesbury Channel, whereas Grebes prefer the Salcott Channel. I don't know why this is.

.... with most of the usual stuff including superb views of Bearded Tit (yes, I still call it that) but while at the very end, looking for, and failing to see, any divers, a small auk flew into view, did a small circuit, then sat briefly on the water before flying off towards Bradwell. The first Puffin I have ever seen in Essex.

Phil

Phil,

Bearded Tit? ... Is that a new fangled name for Reedling?

Most jealous of the Puffin! Great find - don't suppose you got a picture, as I don't hold out much hope of me seeing one there, so may be as close as I get - really good bird for Essex!

I think I would feel a bit of a reedling calling a Bearded Tit anything else!

Does anybody know of any interesting records from Chignal St James pits? I spent the afternoon down there yesterday and today hoping for a white winged gull, but I couldnt get decent enough views over the rubbish tip. Not the most inspiring of locations but I thought I'd give it a shot!

Yesterday, the sea wall between Goldhanger and Tollesbury Wick had Merlin, Short-eared Owl, Slav. and a flock of 8 Mergansers -- plus a bunch of twitchers looking for Red-breasted Goose near Tollesbury. I do not know if they saw it.

Excellent views yesterday of a Bittern in the reeds to the west of the Layer Breton causeway at Abberton Reservoir. It sat at the edge of reeds preening until taking flight to a hidden quarter of the reservoir at the western end. Subsequently, I talked with another birder who described seening a bird earlier; in flight, but heading in what I took to be a different direction. Don't know if this indicates two Bitterns being present?

Something has happened in the reworking of the margins of Abberton Reservoir that is proving highly attractive for Short-eared Owls. Birds have been present in the vicinity throughout the winter. I saw two yesterday, but a total of seven had been counted. A visit between 3.00-4.00pm is likely to provide a sighting.

Highlights from Writtle College campus 3 snipe (07/01) single Green sandpiper (10/01) upto 18 Lesser redpoll, maximum 42 tufted duck. Hanningfield held 27 goldeneye yesterday but not much else.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back