• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Essex Birding (2 Viewers)

Not heard of any local Waxwings yet but its still early days for them. After a big arrival they often return in smaller numbers to the same locations in following years so there hopefully should be some about around here again this winter.
One time we had some birds in Maldon that had been colour ringed a few weeks earlier in Grampian, showing they may take some time filtering south to reach us here.
Sorry to digress but one of my top wildlife spectacles ever was being taken on a school trip from my school in Edinburgh and seeing thousands of freshly arrived Waxwings feeding on Buckthorn along the coast road at Longniddry...

No Waxwings seen yet, but Tesco at Pitsea is a the place if they're about.
Anyone know if there's any Coal Tit, Marsh Tit and Willow Tit around the Thurrock, Basildon, Brentwood area of Essex? Was thinking Langdon Hills, Thorndon CP. Also Long Eared Owl and Tawny Owl? My first year of a species list and trying to tick them before the year end. Any other locations in Essex would be helpful, but the nearer to Linford/East Tilbury Marshes the better. PM me if you prefer.

No Waxwings seen yet, but Tesco at Pitsea is a the place if they're about.
Anyone know if there's any Coal Tit, Marsh Tit and Willow Tit around the Thurrock, Basildon, Brentwood area of Essex? Was thinking Langdon Hills, Thorndon CP. Also Long Eared Owl and Tawny Owl? My first year of a species list and trying to tick them before the year end. Any other locations in Essex would be helpful, but the nearer to Linford/East Tilbury Marshes the better. PM me if you prefer.

Hi

You won't be getting Willow Tit in Essex any time soon, as far as I know they're all gone. Marsh Tit too is difficult, especially in the south of the county, though a couple wintered at Belhus last year. I've heard them around Danbury before.

Coal Tits should be easy enough at somewhere like Thorndon.

Not sure on a good Tawny site at the moment, though we used to hear them around Orsett a lot a few years back. Just hang out in suitable areas as night falls, I guess. They're around.

Long-Eared Owl - I've really no idea. In the past I've heard persistent rumours about various sites but none have ever turned out well, not that that means they aren't there, of course. I wouldn't hold out any hope of picking them up locally - a very difficult bird.

Hi

You won't be getting Willow Tit in Essex any time soon, as far as I know they're all gone. Marsh Tit too is difficult, especially in the south of the county, though a couple wintered at Belhus last year. I've heard them around Danbury before.

Coal Tits should be easy enough at somewhere like Thorndon.

Not sure on a good Tawny site at the moment, though we used to hear them around Orsett a lot a few years back. Just hang out in suitable areas as night falls, I guess. They're around.

Long-Eared Owl - I've really no idea. In the past I've heard persistent rumours about various sites but none have ever turned out well, not that that means they aren't there, of course. I wouldn't hold out any hope of picking them up locally - a very difficult bird.

Thanks for the reply JamesA - first post I've made so thanks for the encouragement.
Tragedy really when I recall as a kid a site close to my home in Lincs where I could see all 5 on the same day .... Yep - going back some to the sound of violins!
Heard there were Coal Tit seen at Hockley Woods earlier in the year. Anyone have any up to date news? Anyone know any other Essex sites or further afield (Kent/Suffolk) worth a look for any of Willow, Marsh Tit, Tawny, Long Eared Owl?

Steve

If anyone is interested, a Red-breasted and a Bean Goose were still at Old Hall today as was the almost resident American Egret. A Black Brant is apparently among the flocks but I did not spot it. Short-eared Owl has been seen but it is very hit and miss.

Tawny Owl can often be seen or heard around Forrester Park Golf Club. I have no reliable site at present for Long-eared Owl.

I have never seen Waxwings near Morrisons.

Thanks for the reply JamesA - first post I've made so thanks for the encouragement.
Tragedy really when I recall as a kid a site close to my home in Lincs where I could see all 5 on the same day .... Yep - going back some to the sound of violins!
Heard there were Coal Tit seen at Hockley Woods earlier in the year. Anyone have any up to date news? Anyone know any other Essex sites or further afield (Kent/Suffolk) worth a look for any of Willow, Marsh Tit, Tawny, Long Eared Owl?

Steve

Hopefully you'll get replies from someone who knows a bit more than me...

Just remembered that Elmley RSPB on Sheppey sometimes has sporadic reports of Long-Eared Owls. While you're there, might as well do the Capel Fleet raptor point, too.

Coal Tit really should be easy in the right habitat, there's no shortage of them round here. I heard several in the carpark at Hanningfield on the weekend, for example. For Marsh Tit, maybe Northaw - just in Herts. I really couldn't advise you on the nearest semi-reliable Willow Tit site outside Essex.

Where about's is "Old Hall"...Bean Goose is something I have never seen, so would be good to see one.

Old Hall is here. Think the parking is permit only, so it's a long walk. That said, I've never been...

I have never seen Waxwings near Morrisons.[/QUOTE]

There were about 150 last Christmas - between Morrisons and the football club. I have seen them in the car park in the small trees near the petrol station. A couple of years ago there were several near the Community Centre which is just off the link road towards the football club - so anywhere along there is a god place to look out for them but it's a bit early yet I'd have said

If anyone is interested, a Red-breasted and a Bean Goose were still at Old Hall today .... A Black Brant is apparently among the flocks.

Interesting that these birds are listed at Old Hall Marshes: the list replicates precisely the same birds that have been present for some time in the field near Mersea Strood - but not reported yesterday. I take it that they have moved - at least temporarily.

Also, not sure what the term 'American Egret' refers to in that post. Is it referring to Great Egret (also a Eurasian species)? Presumably it is not referring to 'Snowy Egret' (the American equivalent to Little Egret), or this would create some stir in the birding community!

Stewart

Last edited:
Following from my comment above, I've noted that these sightings haven't been reported to the Essex Birdwatching Society's website. They are sightings of great interest. Can I encourage that they are reported. Indeed, I notice that Old Hall Marshes is way too under-reported in these records, especially given its significance. Since that start of September this year, there have been only 3 reports from Old Hall Marshes.

Stewart

Sorry, old habits die hard. The American Egret is of course the Great White Egret aka Great White Heron etc etc ....... It is getting to be a reasonably common sight these days and one presumes will expand as the the Little Egret has. We must now be getting peak, aggregate county counts of over 1000 for these.

I gather that the best place to see both the Bean and Red-breasted Geese is probably West Mersey. At Old Hall they can be feeding anywhere on the improved grassland but they tend to be seen regularly at the same place just south of the South Mersey town. Access is much quicker at Mersey too.

Slightly frustrating when the SEO's and Hen Harrier only came close when the sun was just about to disappear over the horizon at Limbourne Creek. Amazing to see so many Brent Geese flying from the water to the fields and back again.

Hi Dave and others

Yes Little Egret is certainly a common site these days, easily the commonest Heron species in Essex now.

There have been 2 Great Egret in Essex recently, with one at Old Hall and the other at North Fambridge. They certainly seem to be a rare winter visitor now to the UK, with one attempt to breed that I know of in Somerset.

As to American Egret, well it is a potential 'split', so always causes interest in the UK, though I'm guessing Dave was basing the name on seeing many in the United States :).

The Red-breasted Goose and Bean Goose haven't been seen in with the Brent flock since the middle of last week on Mersea. The Black Brant has been seen today, as have 4 Lapland Bunting. Unfortunately the geese were feeding in fields very close to the Strood, between W Mersea and The Strood causeway ( there is no S Mersey) so were susceptible to disturbance, especially from dog-walkers.

The Brent flock has been seen to fly to the area beyond Ray Island, called the Feldy Marshes and have been seen on The Strood itself at High tide, as well as Old Hall.

Even East Mersea is worth a look at Cudmore, with a growing flock of Snow Bunting at Stone Point, Water Rail on the pond and the possibility of a large mystery falcon too!!

Cheers

Sean

Sorry, old habits die hard. The American Egret is of course the Great White Egret aka Great White Heron etc etc ....... It is getting to be a reasonably common sight these days and one presumes will expand as the the Little Egret has. We must now be getting peak, aggregate county counts of over 1000 for these.

I gather that the best place to see both the Bean and Red-breasted Geese is probably West Mersey. At Old Hall they can be feeding anywhere on the improved grassland but they tend to be seen regularly at the same place just south of the South Mersey town. Access is much quicker at Mersey too.

Saw the Slavonian Grebe at Hanningfield this morning, over at the west edge by the road. Pretty good at the reservoir though the low water level kept the birds at a distance. Was good to see quite a few Goldeneye and some Greater Black-backed Gulls and Pintail, plus there were loads of regulars: Wigeon, Teal, Gadwall, Mallard, Cormorant (60-70 in one spot), loads of Pied Wagtail, some Stock Dove on the feeder at the visitor centre, Woodpigeons, Blue Tit, Great Tit, Coal Tit, Chaffinch, Goldcrest.

Out at Wallasea Island with Dave C, saw two Hen Harriers, two Short-eared Owls, Marsh Harrier, Kestrel, many hundreds of Brent Geese, Golden Plovers, Lapwings, and finches that I didn't get a clear enough view to id (Linnet/Corn Bunting I think). Distant views of the owls and harriers for the most part but they were interacting well and the hen harriers were jinking after small birds and really showing some great behaviour. :t:

Hadn't seen Slav. Grebe or Hen Harrier before and had only had the most awful distant view of a SEO in the long grass on Skomer before so really good to see those hunting.

2 Short-eared Owl, Hen Harrier, 3 Kestrels, hundreds of Brent Geese and Golden Plover, flock of Goldfinch, Skylarks and Reed Bunting at Limbourne Creek todya, but the best sighting of the day was my second ever Red-throated Diver quite distant between the sluice and Northey Island.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back