• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Essex Birding (1 Viewer)

Very Good, :t:

I'll be down there tomorrow morning. Didn't go today as was up to my usual gull watching.

Pitsea held the 2 juvenile Glaucous Gulls again with one of these being seen on Bowers Marsh, a huge number of gulls were using the marsh and appeared to be close to the barn near the car park, where the Glauc was seen. Also on the tip was a 2nd winter Kumlien's / Iceland Gull, its one of the other, 5 Caspian Gulls and the leucistic Great Black-backed Gull again, keep an eye out for this if visiting Bowers, its big and very white.

I've attached a few shots of the Glauc and the Iceland/Kumliens.

Attachments

• Glaucous Gull juvenile Pitsea 31-01-2015 WEB 216.jpg
    Glaucous Gull juvenile Pitsea 31-01-2015 WEB 216.jpg
    162.1 KB · Views: 44
  • Kumlien's Gull 2nd winter Pitsea 31-01-2015 WEB 056.jpg
    Kumlien's Gull 2nd winter Pitsea 31-01-2015 WEB 056.jpg
    195.5 KB · Views: 47
  • Caspian Gull adult Pitsea 31-01-2015 WEB 105.jpg
    Caspian Gull adult Pitsea 31-01-2015 WEB 105.jpg
    132.9 KB · Views: 53
  • Caspian Gull 2nd winter Pitsea 31-01-2015 WEB 278.jpg
    Caspian Gull 2nd winter Pitsea 31-01-2015 WEB 278.jpg
    158.5 KB · Views: 45
  • Great Black-backed Gull Leucistic Pitsea 24-01-2015 WEB 194.jpg
    Great Black-backed Gull Leucistic Pitsea 24-01-2015 WEB 194.jpg
    183.5 KB · Views: 51
Last edited:
Smart little birds indeed, shame they disappeared for 5 hours during the day

Attachments

• Serin Gunners Park 01-02-2015 WEB 027.jpg
    Serin Gunners Park 01-02-2015 WEB 027.jpg
    178.4 KB · Views: 62
Streetwise Turnstones

Hi, A family member photographed Turnstones feeding on the street at Westcliff seafront a few weeks ago, and sent to me for id. I've heard of Turnstones doing this rarely in other locations, I wondered if anyone else had seen this locally?
I can't see any parking tickets on them, despite being on double yellows. :)
Shows the adaptability of these robust birds.
Cheers

Attachments

• image1.JPG
    image1.JPG
    129.6 KB · Views: 57
Last edited:
Hi, A family member photographed Turnstones feeding on the street at Westcliff seafront a few weeks ago, and sent to me for id. I've heard of Turnstones doing this rarely in other locations, I wondered if anyone else had seen this locally?
I can't see any parking tickets on them, despite being on double yellows. :)
Shows the adaptability of these robust birds.
Cheers

Great moment captured.

Not seen that before, but saw a Little Egret feeding along the central island of Thorpe Hall Road (Thorpe Bay) just feet from the on coming cars inc mine. Seen egrets doing similar in Florida and elsewhere but a first for me in the UK.

Didn't stop n photo otherwise I'd have got a ticket! :)

I was lucky and saw the Smew at Abberton today, just in the NW corner of LBC in the trees, with binoculars. Easy to find as so bright white in the sunshine, 2 males, 1 redhead. Also saw a Bittern, thanks to a very nice chap who let me look through his scope (thank you!), in the furthest reed bed east of LBC. There was also a kingfisher in the same clump of trees as the Smew. Loads of Canada and Greylags, few Goldeneye, Teal, lots of Lapwing in the surrounding fields, a few Kestrel, one of which alighted in a tree by the road nearly causing me to drive into a ditch! Note to self: when driving, DON'T look at birds!

Pleased you had a successful day.

Thanks - 2014 was a good patch year.

It would appear that, like last year with the Iceland Gull, the two Glaucous Gulls that are present on Pitsea Tip can be seen in the evening pre-roost gathering in Hole Haven Creek viewable from the seawall by Lobster Smack, Canvey Island.

The 2 Glaucs again Canvey Island in Hole Haven creek from Lobster Smack pub, good opportunity for anyone not yet seen one or not seen one for a while, evenings from about 4pm onwards

Bittern at Thameside Nature Park Mucking flew over the reeds from the SW corner of the lake (formerly known as Goldengates) at 3:45pm, before I lost it behind the islands.

I believe it was seen and reported on Sunday too, but I was very fortunate to see it yesterday, as I was conducting a count and it flew into my line of sight. Outside of a freeze, Its likely to be a tricky one to see, as the lake is very over grown, with limited (very muddy) access, no extensive views of the numerous reed beds and lots of creeks and dykes for a bittern to disappear into. The Abberton and Fisher's Green birds are probably a more reliable and easier tick but good luck if you try.

Steve

Tollesbury wick NR 8-3-2015 (pm)

Blimey , the first post in this thread for nearly a month! where is everybody?

I'll break the silence but it's not very interesting I'm afraid. Just a brief visit to Tollesbury Wick yesterday afternoon, I was intending to photograph my brother in law's boat but he had returned early so after a walk round the sea wall I spent 1/2 hour in the hide. Unfortunately I only had my 18-250 lens on the camera instead of the 100-400 so missed out slightly.
18 species noted: (in alphabetical order) black headed gull, black tailed godwit, brent goose, common gull, coot, curlew, lapwing, little egret, magpie, mallard, oystercatcher, redshank, rook, shelduck, snipe, teal, tufted duck, wigeon.

Attachments

• 8087 wigeon.JPG
    8087 wigeon.JPG
    626.4 KB · Views: 58
  • 8092 brent geese.JPG
    8092 brent geese.JPG
    848.8 KB · Views: 51
  • 8100 brent geese & godwits.JPG
    8100 brent geese & godwits.JPG
    614.8 KB · Views: 56
  • 8121 assortment in flight.JPG
    8121 assortment in flight.JPG
    520.3 KB · Views: 60
  • 8122 view from hide.JPG
    8122 view from hide.JPG
    555.9 KB · Views: 44
Yes, it has been silent on this thread: perhaps symptomatic of pre-Spring doldrums for birding.

However, three Spoonbill were at Holland Haven this morning. By mid-day, they had moved from the scrape to a pool nearer the car park, where they were actively feeding. My guess is that these are the same three birds that had been reported from Minsmere over the weekend.

Stewart

Not getting out much, so little to report! Only the odd hour snatched here and there, with relatively few highlights. Had merlin and spotshank at Tollesbury last weekend, the lesser-spot at Shut Heath on Saturday morning (had it entirely to myself, which surprised me a bit), blackcap singing in Kelvedon then, finally, after numerous misses on these totally not difficult birds, the six white-fronts at Abberton yesterday.

Roll on the clocks going forwards and I'll be able to get out birding after work...

Certainly not much happening offshore - a very quiet winter period. It all changed today though with a beautiful morning and a good passage following lots of Brent calling overnight - surprisingly Cormorants made up the numbers with 619 counted northbound in flocks of up to 74. Supporting cast of 14 Shag, 350 Brent, 2 GC Grebe and 17 Red Throated Diver. Plus a Black Redstart along the beach and a quick (distant) view of the Haven Spoonbills at lunchtime and it wasn't a bad day at all!

Certainly not much happening offshore - a very quiet winter period. It all changed today though with a beautiful morning and a good passage following lots of Brent calling overnight - surprisingly Cormorants made up the numbers with 619 counted northbound in flocks of up to 74. Supporting cast of 14 Shag, 350 Brent, 2 GC Grebe and 17 Red Throated Diver. Plus a Black Redstart along the beach and a quick (distant) view of the Haven Spoonbills at lunchtime and it wasn't a bad day at all!

If my guess is right, and those three Spoonbills came down from Minsmere, they should have passed right by your window!

The three Spoonbills are reported as still present at Holland Haven this morning.

I see that at least two Spoonbills remain at Minsmere, so scotch my theory that that is where the Essex birds might have come from. Also, I read that Brian Coombes saw five Spoonbills in flight yesterday morning, heading towards Horsey Island. So, perhaps the warmer weather and its ideal flying conditions have brought a mini-influx.

Stewart

Users who are viewing this thread

Back