• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Essex Kingfishers (2 Viewers)

14th October 18:00 Warren Fishery and Thurrock Thameside
It's getting so dark and mirky I could hear the KF on the match lake but just couldn't see them. I could hear 2 tonight (possibly a third on the main lake) and then they were on the creek behind which was pretty full due to the rain. Heron, GWP and C. Warbler present.
I did spend a couple weeks looking for but never found B. Tits - I bumped into a few people looking. Someone else got lucky - I found this on the EWT THCP website
https://www.facebook.com/EWTTTNP/photos_stream

16th October 18:00 Warren Fishery and Thurrock Thameside
I could hear 2 KF again on the match lake and then on the creek behind but couldn't see them. Then finally one kingfisher came from the creek and I just saw it fly onto the match lake before disappearing onto the main lake. It was making the two tone call. Heron, GWP and C. Warbler also present.

21st October 18:00 Stanford Warren CP
Great evening down SWCP!! A kestrel hovering over the reeds. A heron floating over. 2 Little Egret, one on the creek, one in a pool off the creek. Others I could not make out. I forgot about the kingfisher, then one surprised me along the creek. Totally unexpected. Then two on the match lake, saw them this time in the bad light.

21st October 18:00 Stanford Warren CP
I tried to go for a run around SWCP but the gates were locked! Thankfully a kestrel was again hovering over the reeds. A heron floated over. I heard a few GWP and Cetti Warblers. The kingfishers were two tone calling on the match and main lake!! Yesterday a cormorant had flown over. It's been a great Spring and Summer!!

27th October 15:00 Ingrebourne Valley / Gaynes Parkway
Great weather today, as I walked through Gaynes Parkway there was a L. Egret and 2 Grey Wagtails near the water, I could see many minnows in the river and wondered where the kingfisher was, then it appeared from no where. It went up and down looking for a spot to fish. It tried to fish on a section with sunlight but there was too many people walking past so it disappeared up the river to a hidden section.

10th Nov, 16:15 EWT Landgon lake
We'd been waiting for a kingfisher to appear this winter on the EWT Langdon lake. Found this on Saturdays EBWS;
Langdon Hills NR EWT, 1 Kingfisher [Andrew Cox]
I took another look this evening and heard the kingfisher give 4 quick calls as it went across the lake.
Also present was a heron, two tufted ducks, GWP, goldcrests feeding and a small flock of starlings.

24-11-14, EWT Landgon Hills NR - lake
Finally a good sighting of the kingfisher a few times on Langdon Lake today. Possibly due to the recent mild weather, it's been late appearing this year. Third year in a row for us. A heron was also present and a kestrel flew past.

Last edited:
22-01-15 Warren Fishery
Great visit to Warren Fishery - 3 cormorants on the pylon and a heron on the Match lake. Then we saw a kestrel hovering over the reeds of Stanford Warren. All the time in the distance I could hear a kingfisher making the two tone call. As we walked around the fence of the main lake we found a blackbird hanging from a bush by it's leg - it had some fishing line caught on it's leg which then got caught in the bush so we freed it. A great crested grebe was diving on the main lake and I could hear the kingfisher again and as it flew around the lake it stopped in the tree below me before flying off in a arc around the lake. On the way back we saw a Little Egret in a ditch at the edge of a field. Last week we had a walk around Basildon Gloucester Park and I said to my mate a year a go I saw a grey wagtail on this brook - only to find a grey wagtail in the exact same spot again!! He surprisingly had never seen a grey wagtail. (At home in Birmingham, I have now found ten sites near me with kingfisher and luckily for me, three are very close to my home, pretty unbelievable for me when a year a go I just couldn't find any!! Photo's on my flickr link)

Last edited:
Stanford Warren today;
Water rail in the reeds. Marsh Harrier floating over, kingfisher calling. Red Shank on the coast, Little Egret on the creek. Cormorants on the pylon and flying over. Chaffinch, LTTs and other tits feeding. Great!! (checking BTO we missed loads)

Stanford Warren today;
It was windy!! Meadow, Redshank and to surprise us a kingfisher flew out of the creek sluice. The first time we've seen it at the sluice in a couple years of looking.

Mh

Stanford Warren today;
It was windy and cold today on Thameside. Meadow pipit and Redshank again. We had the same surprise again when the kingfisher flew out of the creek sluice. Here's the Marsh Harrier from last week.

Attachments

• Marsh Harrier.jpg
    Marsh Harrier.jpg
    277.6 KB · Views: 65
Stanford Warren today;
It was very quiet - A pair of GCGs on one lake, they were very close but I doubt if they will nest as early as they did last year. A cormorant flew over, 2 herons on the main lake and a kingfisher using reeds as a perch ready to dive. Some sparrows in a hedge and in the distance over Thameside, a Marsh Harrier.

From BTO - a kingfisher was reported a couple time at Langdon lake, took a look myself but did not see it. Some tufted ducks on the lake, a heron and plenty of Goldcrest present.

Stanford Warren and Warren Fishery
A kingfisher on the match lake and another on the main lake along with hopefully nesting GCGs. My first Ring-necked Parakeets in the area, a rapture (couldn't tell what), then heard a cetti's warbler and a skylark in the reeds/grassland. (loads more especially on the mud banks!!)

Stanford Warren and Warren Fishery Thursday 12th March 17:30
It's that great time of the year again!! Continuous kingfisher calling all over the lakes at Warren Fishery, then Cetti's Warblers in the Stanford Warren reeds. Great!!

Vange Marsh RPSB 17:00
Due to a report of 2 KF on Vange Marsh from EBWS, I thought I would take a another visit, having never seen one here before. As I got to the viewing screen by the creek, I could hear a kingfisher calling, possibly 2, then saw one fly out from the sluice next to the screen. Saw it fly off to the left up the creek, still reckon I could hear another down the creek to the right. A Marsh harrier and kestrel flew over, a pair of swans present, shelduck and I could hear a few cetti's warbler calling.

Chafford Gorge 17:30
A great evening down Chafford Gorge - I reckon 3 kingfisher, it might have been 4. I could hear them as I got to the entrance and walked down. They were flying past me and overhead. Great!! LTT and chiff chaff feeding.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back