• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Ethical optics brands (1 Viewer)

Now you van choose whether you support optics brands who also aim at the hunting community or not:

(Don't know if there is a better place on the forum tot post this?)
Thanks for sharing! I was already looking into that. Just came across this post I definitely do not want to support brands that supply rifle scopes etc to support hunting or violence in any way, shape or form.

You've clearly never hunted, because you don't know why sports hunters hunt. It's not killing for fun. In fact, killing is one of the most unpleasant parts of hunting for many, including me.
If it's so unpleasant why keep doing it I wonder? You don't need to use or consume non human animal products to be happy and healthy.

Thanks for posting this article, fascinating info! Absolutely if there's a bino company that stands against "sport hunting" I'm taking their products. I question the validity of that term, there's no "sport" in it, and the practice bears little resemblance to culling over-populations of deer and elk for food purposes.

Just came across this post I definitely do not want to support brands that supply rifle scopes etc to support hunting or violence in any way, shape or form.

Absolutely if there's a bino company that stands against "sport hunting" I'm taking their products.

What if such company uses optical glass made by a general provider who makes its products available without discriminating by final use (binocular, rifle scope, etc)?

What if such company uses optical glass made by a general provider who makes its products available without discriminating by final use (binocular, r

What if such company uses optical glass made by a general provider who makes its products available without discriminating by final use (binocular, rifle scope, etc)?
For me the point is I don't want to spend my money on optics sold by a company that supports, and or promotes hunting or violence in any way, shape or form.

There are or at least they were, adverts on this site for rifle scopes, I always thought that to be at odds with the main, 'target' audience of the site.

I find the rote answer (usually from across the pond) that those who know nothing about hunting should keep their opinions to themselves a bit of a problem. Firstly, not everyone from Europe knows nothing about hunting. We have hunters here. (I spent 4 years in the military, some of that time in Beirut, where I/we were involved in 'hunting'. We had excellent equipment and I enjoyed it immensely because I was good at it. Still am. BUT I have never in my life hunted/killed an animal for sport or food.)
Apart from some indigenous folk and possibly people who live in extreme areas such as AK, there are enough Walmarts/Piggly Wigglys/whathaveyou to stock the fridge/freezer. Added to that there is the ethics (ok, an arkane term for many) of hunting as sport. Until the 'prey' is given an AR15 it will never be a fair thing. And I am sure that the idea of hunting the hunters does not appeal to most hunters who prefer to be on the 'victorious' side (I love it, see above). My father in law was an avid hunter who collected 'trophies' from around the globe which now adorn, for want of a better word, the family home. We have about 40 firearms of all sorts including an first series Glock given to him by Gaston himself because my father in law was not only a 1-star and in procurement but also in weapons development. So we know about firearms and hunting, and not one member of this family is pro-hunting. Because we understand the ethical dilemma that poses. But only for those, who have an ethical compass not misaligned by bible study, the NRA, the GOP or other such fundamentalist fringe groups.
YMMV

If people want to discuss hunting then Ruffled Feathers is there. Past experiences would indicate that no one changes anyone's mind and that it all gets acrimonious very quickly, but one can always hope.

People have many criteria when picking optics, and products in general. If stance on hunting is a criterion for you then the report linked to above provides data, albeit 3 year old data.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back