• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

European beetle invading America? (1 Viewer)

Jim M.

Member since 2007
Supporter
United States
I've seen a couple of these beetles in the eastern United States this year for the first time. They seem quite distinctive, and appear to closely resemble a European species, Maladera holosericea. But that species was not previously known to occur in the New World. But I'm not aware of any native species, or indeed any other beetle that looks similar.

Was hoping I could get some opinions from folks here as to whether the photos look consistent with Maladera holosericea. Habitat was floodplain deciduous forest in the state of Maryland. (There are a few records for the United States on iNaturalist, but I don't believe any of these have been confirmed).

Attachments

• P7262214.jpg
    P7262214.jpg
    913.6 KB · Views: 6
  • P7262217.jpg
    P7262217.jpg
    841.8 KB · Views: 6
  • P7262218-Edit.jpg
    P7262218-Edit.jpg
    951.8 KB · Views: 6
I've seen a couple of these beetles in the eastern United States this year for the first time. They seem quite distinctive, and appear to closely resemble a European species, Maladera holosericea. But that species was not previously known to occur in the New World. But I'm not aware of any native species, or indeed any other beetle that looks similar.

Was hoping I could get some opinions from folks here as to whether the photos look consistent with Maladera holosericea. Habitat was floodplain deciduous forest in the state of Maryland. (There are a few records for the United States on iNaturalist, but I don't believe any of these have been confirmed).
Interesting. Report it to your local Extension Agent perhaps?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back