• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

External makeover? (1 Viewer)

Etiennef

I'm surprised I have not seen more "makeovers" when it comes to binoculars.
This is fairly common when it comes to other items, especially items that are in bad shape.

I was playing with the thought of finding another Trinovid, but this time I would look for one in really bad exterior shape.
It would be interesting to see if it would be possible to refresh the exterior appearance, perhaps with some more modern elements inspired by Leica's more recent color-lines.

One could of course just restore it to look like the original. But there are quite a few mint condition Trinovids out there, and they are not exactly close to extinction in numbers, so I don't really get the point with such an operation.

I prepared some quick PS-sketches based on a photo of my Trinovid. Even just going for a more gold/brown (but still discrete) leatherette makes a big difference!
I also played with the thought of going red, just to match the current brand colors.
In fact, removing all the black areas and bringing out bare brushed metal could also be a nice option, as well as using a newer red logo.

Finding eye cups in another color would of course be a problem. But if they could be arranged in white or red it would be really cool! ;)

..... Or would doing something like this be considered a big no-no on a nice vintage piece like an old Trinovid?

Attachments

• Leitz_Trinovid_8x32_original.jpg
    Leitz_Trinovid_8x32_original.jpg
    140.5 KB · Views: 261
  • Leitz_Trinovid_8x32_goldbrown.jpg
    Leitz_Trinovid_8x32_goldbrown.jpg
    147.8 KB · Views: 291
  • Leitz_Trinovid_8x32_red.jpg
    Leitz_Trinovid_8x32_red.jpg
    143.3 KB · Views: 303
  • Leitz_Trinovid_8x32_red-silver.jpg
    Leitz_Trinovid_8x32_red-silver.jpg
    137.7 KB · Views: 280
Last edited:
Well, I finally managed to come across a "cheap" Trinovid. This was also an 8x32.

Interestingly enough the seller stated that cleaning was required, which I assumed meant that the optics needed cleaning.
When the Trinovid arrived it turns out to be in nearly perfect optical condition, and in collimation. Sure, externally it has plenty of signs of a well used instrument, but internally it's fine. The only optical blemish is a small scratch on one of the oculars, hardly noticeable unless you really look for it. To be honest I was expecting a lot worse for the 90-something euros I paid for it.

Anyhow, I'm looking into how I could "renovate" this nice binocular to bring it back to life again. :)

Attachments

• Trinovid_well-used_1.jpg
    Trinovid_well-used_1.jpg
    121.6 KB · Views: 364
  • Trinovid_well-used_2.jpg
    Trinovid_well-used_2.jpg
    123.9 KB · Views: 218
Old cameras are often restored with coloured leatherette.
Some look very nice.
Sometimes coloured bellows cameras also.

You can find Olympus Trips in numerous colours.

I recovered a large desk in coloured material, and I am pretty useless at this type of thing, but it looked very nice, even if I say so myself.

I wouldn't do much other than get the dust out of the 'nooks and crannies'. The well used look has a certain charm. :) Nice bins.

Hi,

wow this is an Uppendahl Trinovid 8x32 - one of the two original series built from 1963-74 - as can be seen by the non-B model designation, although by far the more common one. The other was the super-rare 6x24 with a whopping 12 degrees of real field...

How is the view - should have a nice wide field of 8.5 degrees - I would regard this more as a collectors item though - so maybe just restore it to as new but no fancy red leather?

Some more info here:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/binocwpg/8255011151

and all Leitz models:

http://home.europa.com/~telscope/leitzbin.txt

Regards,

Joachim

Well, I have to say that the used'ness is charming in a way, although I doubt that I would put it to any use in that exterior condition. The first post has my other Trinovid, also a 8x32, but from a slightly later batch. I's in considerably better condition.

The well used version is not really a rarity. They show up on Ebay very frequently. Especially this version with the rectangular logo.
The first ones of this model are on the other hand a bit harder to come across (although they show up fairly often also). They did not have an emblem-logo at all, they just had 'Leitz' written on one of the rings on the ocular.

-

Oh, and the view is actually very good and according to spec, although I have a hard time getting the full view without my eyelashes smearing the lenses.
I have a separate thread about that issue somewhere here...

Last edited:
That's right - the real rarity would be a 6x24 - these tend to be a bit more expensive...

Joachim

Yeah, they always seems to go for some serious cash when they show up.

There is one just out now from some person in Romania:
http://www.ebay.de/itm/LEITZ-WETZLA...188671?hash=item4d3fe0f2ff:g:FrkAAOSwx-9WyaoZ

One of the best condition 6x24 I've seen the last year or so. The bump on the objective ring is however a bit annoying... Regardless, I have a feeling it will go for more than the starting price...

Hi,

yes, saw that one and the other for 700€. Romania usually is a no-go for me but this one offers paypal and has sold quite a few expensive bins before with 100% positive...

...but "I have enough bins, I have enough bins..." <keep repeating the mantra>

Joachim

Well, I finally managed to come across a "cheap" Trinovid. This was also an 8x32.

Interestingly enough the seller stated that cleaning was required, which I assumed meant that the optics needed cleaning.
When the Trinovid arrived it turns out to be in nearly perfect optical condition, and in collimation. Sure, externally it has plenty of signs of a well used instrument, but internally it's fine. The only optical blemish is a small scratch on one of the oculars, hardly noticeable unless you really look for it. To be honest I was expecting a lot worse for the 90-something euros I paid for it.

Anyhow, I'm looking into how I could "renovate" this nice binocular to bring it back to life again. :)

Oh man, bring it back to life? I'd carry it with pride just like it is, thats character

Oh man, bring it back to life? I'd carry it with pride just like it is, thats character

Well, the thought has actually crossed my mind (quite a few times in fact).

All this would have been much easier if it actually did not work properly... It's really annoying that the germans make things that still work after 50 years!

I like the red and black or even silver combo myself. You can tell people you paid ten thousand for a special edition. Otherwise, you're just another guy with a black binocular. Character can be nice in old equipment, but no one ever won a prize at an auto show for the rusted heap they keep behind the barn.

I like the red and black or even silver combo myself. You can tell people you paid ten thousand for a special edition. Otherwise, you're just another guy with a black binocular. Character can be nice in old equipment, but no one ever won a prize at an auto show for the rusted heap they keep behind the barn.

There is a nice premium for autos that are original, and have not been
restored and repainted. If you are into cars, you would know more about
that.

A binocular or a car is only original once. That is a beautiful binocular
I would not touch it, it is great just as it is.

You have a nice one there. Enjoy and use it. ;)

Jerry

This isn't exactly a makeover, but it might arouse your curiosity...

Renze

Hello Renze,

It surely arouses my curiosity. I have owned a few Leica items made by Ernst Leitz, New York: lens shades, a 50 mm Wollensak, and film cassettes. I have never seen a binocular so marked.

Happy collecting
Arthur

There is a nice premium for autos that are original, and have not been
restored and repainted. If you are into cars, you would know more about
that.

A binocular or a car is only original once. That is a beautiful binocular
I would not touch it, it is great just as it is.

You have a nice one there. Enjoy and use it. ;)

Jerry

The OP wasn't asking about how to get a premium for his binocular. He was wondering if it would make a good fixer upper, and I think it would.

The OP wasn't asking about how to get a premium for his binocular. He was wondering if it would make a good fixer upper, and I think it would.

Sorry if I bothered you, I should have responded to the original poster.

And I think it would be best to leave just as is. It does not need fixing
except for cosmetics.

Jerry

It's not really uncommon that these kind of restoration-projects result in many different strong opinions.

I do really understand the "leave it as it is"-argument. I myself find it a bit difficult to remove the signs of use from an item that has performed well, and for a long time.

The first dilemma is of course if the item is to be left unaltered or not?
But after that there is also the question about restoring or re-making?

A couple of aspects to consider in this case:
- This is not an unusual binocular (but there are close relatives to this model that are rare!)
- There are many binoculars of this model that are in better condition (and I own one)

In this case I don't really see the point in just restoring it. As stated earlier in the thread; It's only original once, and there is in this case no value or benefit in making it look original while it in fact is not. There are plenty of true originals available anyway.

It's not really uncommon that these kind of restoration-projects result in many different strong opinions.

I do really understand the "leave it as it is"-argument. I myself find it a bit difficult to remove the signs of use from an item that has performed well, and for a long time.

The first dilemma is of course if the item is to be left unaltered or not?
But after that there is also the question about restoring or re-making?

A couple of aspects to consider in this case:
- This is not an unusual binocular (but there are close relatives to this model that are rare!)
- There are many binoculars of this model that are in better condition (and I own one)

In this case I don't really see the point in just restoring it. As stated earlier in the thread; It's only original once, and there is in this case no value or benefit in making it look original while it in fact is not. There are plenty of true originals available anyway.

Is this something you can do yourself? It would be interesting to know what it takes to upgrade a leather binocular.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back