• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Fair used price % of new (1 Viewer)

Mother_of_birds

United Kingdom
I recently ordered a used scope of which the new price is £400, I paid £170 (it was priced £200 but on black friday deal). I thought this was a fair price; I've always thought when buying/selling used, 50% of new value is what it should be.
HOWEVER, upon receiving the scope, it was the wrong one. I had been sent the non-ED version which has a new value of £200. I contacted the shop, it had been an honest mistake with the listing so they do not have the ED version to swap it with. They've offered to collect for full refund or £30 partial refund if I want to keep it. Now to me that seems like an unfair price, the scope is in good condition but is not what I would consider popular due to it being an older model and straight. To me, a fair price would be 50% of new, they are asking for 75% for me to keep an item which is not what I ordered.
Am I being unfair or unrealistic, or am I being ripped off? I am unfamiliar with purchasing used optics so I don't know if they do run at a higher % of new value? Is there a general rule for pricing used scopes?

Sorry to hear about your experience.

I think a 50% expectation for used optics is too low. But it depends upon the brand, and other factors, of course. In my limited experience of buying and selling, a used pair of binos or a scope in great condition can sell for almost the same as a new pair, e.g., 80-95%.

I’ve sold binos on eBay for just a few pounds, and also some for 105% what I paid for them, by accepting generous buyers offers.

I agree with Will, the expectation of a 50% discount is a little over optimistic.
If you like the 'scope you have bought, give the retailer a call. They might be happy to negotiate a slightly higher discount (maybe they’ll refund £40 or up to £50).
If the 'scope was with them on a commission sale basis they might be discounting the 'scope to the lowest value the seller would accept.
It sounds like they might be a decent bunch so, in my humble opinion, it’s definitely worth calling them and trying to negotiate.
If they can’t discount further, at least they’re willing to take the 'scope back.

I agree with Will, the expectation of a 50% discount is a little over optimistic.
If you like the 'scope you have bought, give the retailer a call. They might be happy to negotiate a slightly higher discount (maybe they’ll refund £40 or up to £50).
If the 'scope was with them on a commission sale basis they might be discounting the 'scope to the lowest value the seller would accept.
It sounds like they might be a decent bunch so, in my humble opinion, it’s definitely worth calling them and trying to negotiate.
If they can’t discount further, at least they’re willing to take the 'scope back.
They initially offered me £20 partial refund then increased to £30 when I asked if that was the best they could do.

Sorry to hear about your experience.

I think a 50% expectation for used optics is too low. But it depends upon the brand, and other factors, of course. In my limited experience of buying and selling, a used pair of binos or a scope in great condition can sell for almost the same as a new pair, e.g., 80-95%.

I’ve sold binos on eBay for just a few pounds, and also some for 105% what I paid for them, by accepting generous buyers offers.
The scope I've received is in excellent condition and still has the box and everything so do you think 75% of new price is fair? It's a straight Hawke Endurance 12-36x50mm
I'm tempted to keep it even though its not the ED version which I want, just because the ED version isn't in stock anywhere and no estimated time for restock, and the same for the non-ed version which I've recieved. The next ED alternative with same specs is £550 which is above my budget and you're talking a £400 difference from keeping this one!

The scope I've received is in excellent condition and still has the box and everything so do you think 75% of new price is fair? It's a straight Hawke Endurance 12-36x50mm
I'm tempted to keep it even though its not the ED version which I want, just because the ED version isn't in stock anywhere and no estimated time for restock, and the same for the non-ed version which I've recieved. The next ED alternative with same specs is £550 which is above my budget and you're talking a £400 difference from keeping this one!
If it’s less than RRP, and in great condition, then yes, it sounds like a good deal. If it will serve your needs, then keep it, and upgrade when the one you really want becomes available, perhaps?

If you ever decide to sell it, however, try listing it on BirdForum rather than using eBay or retail exchange. If you’re comfortable with private selling, you’re likely to get more of your money back.

We‘ll need pictures of the optics in question to help you 🤣.

If the scopes optics are nearly as good as the ED version, accept the discount, use, learn and enjoy them for a while, keeping your open for the ED version. Then you could scoop up the ED version, compare the two and decide for yourself which you would want to keep , and then sell or return depending on which one you choose.

Paul

If it’s less than RRP, and in great condition, then yes, it sounds like a good deal. If it will serve your needs, then keep it, and upgrade when the one you really want becomes available, perhaps?

If you ever decide to sell it, however, try listing it on BirdForum rather than using eBay or retail exchange. If you’re comfortable with private selling, you’re likely to get more of your money back.
Thanks for the advice and tip on selling. I will probably do that =)

Sorry to hear that, not a great outcome. As you are within 14 days of purchasing, why not return and get a refund, and find a (better) alternative? This looks a better deal.

Sorry to hear that, not a great outcome. As you are within 14 days of purchasing, why not return and get a refund, and find a (better) alternative? This looks a better deal.
Thanks, I've just emailed them asking for more info as the ad is pretty vague. Want to make sure I know exactly what I'm getting this time! How do you keep finding these by the way? I feel like I've trawled through every binocular and scope site imaginable and you found the listing for the first scope for me too on another thread

Hi,

in astro circles 60% of current or last available new price is usual for used items in good shape from a private seller. You might get a bit more of it's like new in box or rare... A dealer will usually want a bit more but then has to give you warranty...

The main question is - does the scope work as you expected. Is the image crisp with an easy to find point of best focus at 36x and does the straight scope work for you?

If yes, by all means keep it. If not, back it goes...

Joachim

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back